September 18, 1970 RIP Jimi Hendrix

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Sep 18, 2020.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I remember where I was when I heard the news......Freshman Ear Training class at UTA.....a classmate told me he had died. Room full of classical music majors.....and this guy and I may have been the only ones present who knew who Jimi was. I guess we were the only people there who were "experienced".....:(

djh22 and 8barlouie like this.
  2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

R I P Jimi.
    Pushing boundries forwards and pulling them backwards at the same time.
    Such a rare Talent.

3. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Friend of Leo's

Hendrix on Dick Cavett

ElJay370 likes this.
  4. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

When Jimi Hendrix talked about death and wondered if he would turn 28
    By Rafael Polcaro Published on 08/17/2020

Legendary guitarist Jimi Hendrix, that is considered the best of all time unfortunately died too soon at the age of 27. The extremely talented musician talked about death and wondered if he would turn 28. Hendrix quotes are on the book “Starting at Zero: His Own Story“, a compilation of interviews he gave during his career.
    Jimi-Hendrix-black-and-white.jpg

“The moment I feel that I don’t have anything more to give musically, that’s when I won’t be found on this planet, unless I have a wife and children, because if I don’t have anything to communicate through my music, then there is nothing for me to live for. I’m not sure I will live to be 28 years old, but then again, so many beautiful things have happened to me in the last three years. The world owes me nothing.”
    “When people fear death, it’s a complete case of insecurity. Your body is only a physical vehicle to carry you from one place to another without getting into a lot of trouble. So you have this body tossed upon you that you have to carry around and cherish and protect and so forth, but even that body exhausts itself. The idea is to get your own self together, see if you can get ready for the next world, because there is one. Hope you can dig it.”
    Hendrix continued, saying:
    “People still mourn when people die. That’s self-sympathy. All human beings are selfish to a certain extent, and that’s why people get so sad when someone dies. They haven’t finished using him. The person who is dead ain’t crying. Sadness is for when a baby is born into this heavy world.”
    “I tell you, when I die I’m going to have a jam session. I want people to go wild and freak out. And knowing me, I’ll probably get busted at my own funeral. The music will be played loud and it will be our music. I won’t have any Beatles songs, but I’ll have a few of Eddie Cochran’s things and a whole lot of blues. Roland Kirk will be there, and I’ll try and get Miles Davis along if he feels like making it. For that it’s almost worth dying. Just for the funeral. It’s funny the way people love the dead. You have to die before they think you are worth anything. Once you are dead, you are made for life. When I die, just keep on playing the records.”

Dead, but never gone... RIP Jimmy

5. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

It doesn’t; a seminal performance and it’s the first song I tried to learn when I got a playable guitar about 1970. Much to my chagrin my version in open C with a struggle to barre F didn’t sound quite the same!

Listening to that today took me right back to how impressed I was when I first heard it all those years ago.

Ronzo and 41144 like this.
  6. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

Thank you!

Stubee, Bonneville Bruce and Ronzo like this.
  7. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

8. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

Interesting note: Little Richard's tour manager for at least one of Jimi's stints with the band was legendary Allman Bros road manager, Twiggs Lyndon. One source I saw in a quick search said Twiggs actually hired Jimi at one point. The music world was very interesting in those days.

9. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Holic

It seems to be "Natty Bumpo", after a character from American literature.

41144 likes this.
  10. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

Isn't the Monterey concert stuff tuned to E flat, the whole band?

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  11. Bonneville Bruce

Bonneville Bruce Tele-Holic

Way cool.
    I agree, Best concert ever and best rock guitarist ever.
    I saw him the same month, August 28, 1968 at an amusement park near Salt Lake called Lagoon. It is a tiny venue, The Patio Gardens, with a capacity in the 1,000 -1,500 range. I was about ten feet in front of him for the whole show. It was spectacular! He did "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," "Sunshine of Your Love," "God Save the Queen" and "The Star Spangled Banner" AT THE SAME TIME, all of "Are You Experienced," and most of "Axis: Bold As Love" which hadn't been released yet. The show was otherworldly. Jimi, Mitch and Noel were in great form and played their hearts out. Mitch Mitchell wrote about this day in his autobiography, they had some down time, so they dropped acid and went hiking at Brighton Ski Resort, near Salt Lake. Mitch said that it was one of the best times they had together as just friends and companions. He also said that they enjoyed playing that show. It was obvious to us that they were having a good time.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Hey_you, Ronzo and 41144 like this.
  12. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Groove on.... more from the side/session man days:

EllroyJames likes this.
  13. Stanford Guitar

Like a Rolling Stone is in E-flat not sure about the rest of the show. Will take a listen. Hendrix had perfect pitch, which is why when you hear him tune up in live recordings he tuned each string individually with no reference pitch, then Mitch Mitchell would tune against his pitch. I noticed he would tune his high E and B strings slightly flat, so they sound sweeter in higher registers, and he would bend them slightly when playing chords in lower registers. These little things he did are what makes his sound so hard to replicate.

This guy does a similar thing....pretty accurate cover....

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Stubee likes this.
  14. Stanford Guitar

Chris Squire talks about meeting Hendrix....funny as hell.

Hey_you likes this.
  15. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Still Reigning, Still Dreaming

16. Stanford Guitar

Ain't no use in gettin' uptight, just let it groove its own way.....

Bonneville Bruce likes this.
  17. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Artists like Jimi Hendrix will never die.

Ed Driscoll and Stanford Guitar like this.
  18. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

41144 likes this.
  19. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

RIP Jimi ... and just a couple weeks later we lost Janis :(

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  20. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

After going over this thread again, I had to put this disc on my enterainment system
    tribute.jpg 65" Oled C-8. Denon 7.2. Infinity 5500 towers from the 90's and rear rs 3000. 90' Yamaha sub. 125w 2-8". And I play it LOUD!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.