Separating the Men from the Boys in G&L Bluesboys

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by The Real Jake, Apr 2, 2021.

1. The Real Jake

The Real Jake TDPRI Member

Bastard Sons of Leo Fender,

Just got my first exposure to a G&L MFD
    bridge pickup via an ASAT Bluesboy. I freakin’ love this pickup! I’m considering installing one in a MIM Fender Tele of mine, but I’m also considering the G&L Asat Classic ALNICO bridge pickup for the same Tele.

I was wondering how both G&L Pickups compare to each other, the MFD vs the ALNICO.

Anyone who knows the Output number for each, that would be extremely helpful!

(One more note: I’m trying to balance it out with a P90 in the neck position.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    McGlamRock likes this.
  2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I don't know the output numbers for the G&L pickups, but I did demo an ASAT Classic S Alnico for a while and I found them to be more in the "60s Tele" wheelhouse - the neck and bridge pickups reminded me of the pickups in AVRI '62 Custom Teles of 1999-2012. Sorry; best that I can do; I think the alnico might be a bit underpowered to match with a P90.

The Real Jake likes this.
  3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

"Output numbers" is a misnomer. Almost nobody publishes pickup output, and there is certainly no industry-wide standard for measurement of such. It apparently needs to be stated a half dozen times per day, but DC resistance is not output...nor is it even that helpful of a specification to know!

The G&L ASAT Classic Alnico bridge pickup is basically a classic Fender style Tele bridge pickup, perhaps a bit heavier. The MFD used in the ASAT Classic, Bluesboy, Bluesboy 90, etc. is much spicier.

The MFD will be a nice match to a P90 in the neck, but I would wire your guitar to have separate tone controls. The MFDs are quite bright, so your default tone knob position with them will likely be down a little...but not necessarily so for the P90.

Keep in mind that the ASAT Classic neck pickup is itself rather P-90-like, and when using it along with the ASAT MFD bridge pickup, you are less likely to find it detrimental to have a master tone control.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    The Real Jake likes this.
  4. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Afflicted

I’m no help but love G&L as well as Fenders. 2E0460CA-A7D2-4321-BEB5-E29A6C5A96CF.jpeg 4AE6C043-CC2B-497F-ABF9-8A58D688656E.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.