1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sense of Humor - Whose playing makes you laugh?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kerry Vance, Apr 23, 2005.

1. beez

beez Tele-Holic

Gatton

I always enjoyed the little musical quotes he would throw in to songs (Twightlight Zone theme during "Sleep Walk"; Three Stooges theme during "Fingers on Fire"; William Tell Overture during "Linus and Lucy"). The last time I saw him play live, he even played the Perry Mason theme song.

He must have watched a bunch of television growing up!!

2. simonc

simonc Friend of Leo's

Brian Setzer can always put a smile on my dial...

or any of that ultra cheesy 80's hair metal licks
    (you know the ones - sound like theyre being played through a tin can...totally self indulgent solos that com out of nowhere...)this is more along the lines of what cracks me up.

Also how could I forget Larry "ler" Lalonde of Primus....

3. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Another one came to mind but I can't remember his name. The guy who plays guitar for Weird Al Yankovic. He is just as wacky as Al. There's one of Al's polka medleys where he does an insane fuzzed-out solo that's so out of place you can't help but laugh.

4. txspreacher

txspreacher Friend of Leo's

Lessee...

Junior Brown (awesome and humorous, anybody ever heard his "Peelin' Taters"?)

Roy Clark (impossibly rapidfire and articulate, yet having a blast)

Jerry Reed : self-explanatory

Billy Gibbons!

Incidentally, I'm not much of a Led Zep/Page fan, but that "acapella" guitar solo in "Heartbreaker" has always tickled me funny bone.

5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Marc Ribot

Richard Thompson

Joey Santiago

6. JMH65

JMH65 Tele-Meister

Tiny Tim and his Ukelele......God rest his soul

7. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

Musical FUN !

i agree...too many seem to take themselves much too seriously....music's SUPPOSED to be FUN !!!
    Will Ray of The Hellecasters .....actually John Jorgenson and Jerry Donahue also.....Major Troutage indeed !
    i agree on the Jr. Brown votes....
    Chester and Lester.... man o man !
    Merle Travis and Joe Maphis' duets were lots of fun, as were Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West's whiteknuckle carnival rides....

and again, Bill Kirchen and Redd Volkaert...you guys are THE KINGS ! any chance of a "TwangBangers" DVD anytime soon ? (man, i'm dancin' like a kid at Christmas just thinkin' 'bout it !) if there's one already out, put me outta my misery and tell me where it's available...

8. televiking

televiking Tele-Meister

Brian Setzer...

Brian Setzer makes me laugh!

He is just so good at what he does it makes me wet my pants. I am not a big fan of that kind of music, but his playing makes me feel really good. He has a way of going to places musically that just works for me.

Another one is mr. Vai.
    Very much his own man and in total command of his playing. Again I do not care much about his style of music but that kind of virtuosity gives me goosebumps.

9. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

I'll second Jeff Beck on "Beck's Boogie"
    Freddy King instrumentals and the titles
    Hound Dog Taylor - he was a character and it
    came through on his playing.
    Chet and Les together or at times by themselves.
    Some of Hank Marvin and the Shadows tunes
    especially early on.
    Jesse Ed Davis on Taj Mahal's version of "Six Days On
    The Road" and "Keep Your Hands Off Her".

10. Jimo

Jimo Tele-Afflicted

Rick Neilsen

However you spell his name---The guy in Cheap Trick--he does little quotes from other songs, outright funny leads, he's one of my favorites! :D -cheers!--JIMO

11. boogaloo

boogaloo Tele-Afflicted

Joe Walsh, guitar and

Jack Casady on bass. Great players but those facial expressions send me into convulsions every time.

Brian

12. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Nobody cracks me up like Jeff Beck. He's a riot. But then, no musician that I've heard more viscerally channels any given human emotion through a guitar and amp than does Mr. Beck.

On guitar, Honorable Mentions go to Danny Gatton, Leo Kottke, and Ed Van Halen. In fact, Ed is the one "80's guy" whose playing I really enjoy, largely due to the inherent "chucklebutt" factor. Also, the reparte` between Mark Knopfler and Chet Atkins on the record that they did together (thanks, BB). And of course, I grew up laughing at Roy Clark on "hot dogs & tater-tots night" with my Pop, watching Hee Haw, when I was a young pup.

As for "bands", nobody has cracked me up more consistently over the last three decades or so, than has NRBQ. Those guys are certifiably insane.

Bill Clinton, Kenny G, John Tesh, and my own playing are pretty funny too, but I'm not certain that's the sort of humor we're talking here.

13. Caper

Caper Friend of Leo's

I enjoy the Opry when Marty Stuart is on. He looks like he is having a blast everytime I've seen him on the show. I've seen a few videos on the net playing with Johnny Cash, Cash was all smiles playing with him.

14. Cindi 500

Cindi 500 Tele-Meister

Dana Carvey doing that "guitar routine" made me laugh incessantly, namely with how he imitates guitarists pulling off repeated double stops with a pelvic thrust and funny facial expressions, saying how it looks like a dog scraping it's rear on the driveway...

I must agree with the lighthearted visage of EVH, though. When he solo'd in those older videos there was a pleasant smirk that almost seems to say: "wow, it's neato how I pulled that riff off on the fly", yet makes it look so easy...

15. denny

denny Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jim Campilongo... The "Heavy" CD makes me laugh out loud. (I mean that in a GOOD way, Jim :p).

16. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Re: Musical FUN !

+1 on Will Ray. His playing tickles me so much I sometimes laugh out loud.

17. simonc

simonc Friend of Leo's

how the heck could I forget Frank Zappa?

or Mike Keneally?

I saw mike a few years back when he was on tour with steve vai, man that guy can play hard & make you crack up....I remember him playing some shredding solo while playing synth lines with his feet on the keyboard he placed on the floor before the start of that song...amazing stuff.

18. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Elvin Bishop

Robert Earl Keen

Great music and I love the tongue-in-cheek lyrics.

Doug

19. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Nigel Tufnel
    Keith Richards
    Hound Dog Taylor
    Melvin Taylor
    Cousin Joe
    Shuggie Otis

20. Aen

Aen Tele-Holic

Every single solo ever on a KMFDM record. Not a lot of you have heard KMFDM I'll bet, but all the solos are the "a-musical nonsensical quadruple time tin can heavy metal" solos

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.