1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sense of Humor - Whose playing makes you laugh?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kerry Vance, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Kerry Vance

Kerry Vance Tele-Meister

Inspired by Maestrovert's comments on another thread, I was thinking of players who make me laugh. Maestrovert was referring to the album by Danny Gatton and Joey DeFrancesco. I can think of two players from totally different genres whose playing makes me laugh. It seems to me they are out to have a good time and obviously are not taking themselves too seriously. I'm thinking Junior Watson from the blues camp and Ray Flacke in country. Anyone else have favorite players who seem to be expressing their sense of humor in their playing?
    .....Kerry

2. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

<li>Yew'll haff tew watch these tew fellers sumtime.
    <li>They both make me laff but mostly at my seff cause they make my pickin look sew sad.

[​IMG]

<li>When I grow up!------------Naw!! I ain't never gonna git near these tew pickin wise.

0le FUZZY

3. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    EVH - his playing is so light hearted!

And Yngwie Malmsteen, not that I'm laughing with him, I'm laughing AT him. :D

4. editorjuno

editorjuno Tele-Afflicted

Junior Brown and Ry Cooder come to mind -- there's something about a slide that's conducive to musical joking, think slide whistles and slide trombones (yeah, Bill Kirchen conveys a great sense of humor too, no matter what instrument he's playing -- "Too Much Fun" indeed!). Then there's underrated Tele master Jerry Reed of "Amos Moses" fame....

5. esquirej

esquirej Tele-Holic

I agree about Van Halen...

He's just so relaxed and looks to have a great time...same with Brad Paisley. I sometimes find myself giggling when he does one of those flashy little tricks like bumping the butt-end of the guitar with his fist to use the B-Bender. Very smooth.

Then on the flipside, Vernon Reid has always made me laugh...but not in a nice way. :rolleyes:

6. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

laughin'

To be clear....i was referring to the fact you can hear Danny and Joey and the guys havin' fun ! They're laughing at the end of takes, and the humor in their playing really comes through....in that light then :

Les Paul's humor always shone through...you could tell he was crackin' himself up.....especially the earlier stuff, with the Trio, well before the Mary Ford days...

Redd and Bill, you guys are the KINGS !!

Steve Vai believe it or not, his playing strikes me as being humor filled, at least in a "live" setting....
    there's many more i'm sure, and i mean no offense if i've left you out....

7. Johnny Isaacs

Johnny Isaacs Tele-Afflicted

Only two off the top of my head..

First would be Redd's playing. He'll be playing some smokin' line and play some crazy "wrong" note that'll just kill ya! He'll say those are real mistakes, but don't let him fool you ~ he can make that same exact "mistake" anytime he wants too.

Would this face lie?
    [​IMG]

Second would be Paul Gilbert from Racer X & Mr. Big. There's a lot of humor in his playing as well. Granted, he comes from a different end of the spectrum, but when I think of guitarist who make me laugh, he's one of them as well.

[​IMG]

And it doesn't get more country than frenge!
    [​IMG]

Johnny Isaacs

8. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Ummmmmmm...

Any Band on Sat. Night Live ??....often wonder how they got on national TV....I know...I'm gettin old!javascript:emoticon('8)')

9. SteveY

SteveY Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, Eddie and Joe Walsh sound like they're havin' a ball.

10. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

I have to admit that Gatton, Redd V. and Bill K. were the first players to come to mind when I think about humor in guitar playing. Anyone who throws quotes from classic cartoons in their solos is alright in my book!!! :D

Buck and the Buckaroos always sounded like they were having a blast too!

11. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

When I listen to Redd and Brad Paisley I always have a big smile and it makes my day go better, especially Mr. Volkaert, you can hear the fun and joy coming through the speakers.

12. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Joe Walsh and Junior Brown come to mind. Sometimes Adrian Belew. Those little animal noises and "Twang Bar King" just crack me up.

13. Joel Terry

Joel Terry Poster Extraordinaire

Elmore James, Adrian Belew, and EVH.

On Elmore and the Broomdusters' tune, "Something Inside Of Me," Elmore does an extended slide solo that ends with what sounds like him falling out of his chair--kind of like the old Victor Borge schtick glissando right off the piano keyboard and into the floor. It sounds like Elmore passes out, and I laugh every time I listen to it. Elmore's playing in general puts a big smile on my face.

Adrian Belew's style is naturally funny. Like e-merlin noted above, Adrian's song "Twang Bar King" is full of hilarious guitar playing and sounds. Just before the end of the tune, there's a little warbling note Adrian plays that makes me laugh when I hear it. Adrian's playing is just so tremendously inspiring and uplifting, it also puts a big smile on my face.

Eddie's playing back in the day with David Lee Roth-era Van Halen made me laugh on occasion. Just the sheer joy of it, I suppose.

Just because these guys can make me laugh with their playing is certainly not a knock to them; quite to the contrary, I love their playing!

Joel

14. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

SERIOUS fun. ;-)

One of the things I always loved most about Danny Gatton's playing (and his guitar mod'ing, and his amp and effects "designs," and his cars, etc, etc...) ;-) was his sense of humor. It reflected his approach to life. Despite being the best player in the world, he never took himself too seriously. (Would that more players could follow his example!)

There's a long-standing tradition in <u>jazz</u> of having FUN with the music (what a concept!) ;-) Louis Armstrong used to quote other songs in his solos, and Art Tatum elevated the practice to an art. The great Kansas City saxophonists (like Lester Young, Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, etc) regularly used humor as part of the language of the jam session. Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie personified the "cool hipster," but often threw in musical jokes as part of the persona. Illinois Jacquet, Flip Phillips, Clark Terry, Sonny Rollins and many others were often known for playing humorous passages. And even Joe Pass, who was normally pretty straight ahead on most of his recordings, quoted the "Mexican Hat Dance" in the middle of his "Winter Wonderland" solo on the "Six String Santa" album.

And does anyone remember the "Chester and Lester" albums recorded by Chet Atkins and Les Paul? There's some very funny stuff on there, including Les Paul suggesting that they send away for the Mel Bay books while they're "stuck" vamping an outro. LOL

I play funny stuff all the time. (And to quote the Austin Lounge Lizards, "some of the humor is even intentional.") ;-) I try not to ruin the mood of too many sensitive ballads (it gets the singers real upset) ;-) but aside from that, man, if you can't have FUN playing... why call it "playing?" ;-) All IMO, as always. :) CS

15. El Capitan

El Capitan Tele-Holic

Otis Rush

All Your Love (I Miss Loving)

Jeez what a fun song.
    Makes me laugh my ass off every time the solo comes up.....
    Awesome.

You can't make music like that anymore without a permit.

16. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Friend of Leo's

That Bill Kirchen has some great taste in clothing--
    [​IMG]
    The shirt says, by the way, "Country is not pretty"

And, besides having the shirt, I love Robbie Fulks's songs and especially his guitar playing for the humor.

And the Chester and Lester and Guitar Monsters albums by Chet Atkins and Les Paul always get me laughing.

SMOTHERS BROTHERS!!!
    Some of my favorites, along with Allan Sherman and Tom Lehrer.

Oh yeah, and I second the Redd Volkaert/Bill Kirchen pair.

17. Fenderman

Fenderman TDPRI Member

another vote for Junior Brown

roy clark can be hilarious too

18. Jean-Baptiste

Jean-Baptiste Tele-Holic

Those wacky duets by Jimmy Bryant & Speedy West never fail to make me smile. Kooky tune titles like "Caffiene Patrol" and "Stratosphere Boogie" don't hurt, either.

The guitarp (custom electric guitar with harp strings) deconstructions of Philip DeGruy ("Inunedo Out the Other") crack me up every time.
    jb

19. jz63

jz63 Tele-Holic

Jeff Beck on "Beck's Boogie"
    Scotty Moore on EP's "Too Much"
    Al Anderson on NRBQ's "12 Bar Blues"

20. jed

jed Tele-Meister

obviously Jimi.

Another is Brett Sparks of Handsome Family for the way he interjects a fuzz solo (tele) into an otherwise somber, twisted ballad just to make sure the listener is still awake.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.