Sennheiser E935s for vocals?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by FortyEight, May 25, 2021.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

Curious if anyone has one and what they think of it for vocals or anything else. Recording or live.

Thanks guys.

2. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

E935 is a great live mic. good rejection off-axis for a loud stage and internal shock mounting of components mean lower handling noise and less chance to deafen everyone by bumping the mic stand, use 'em all the time alongside SM57/58 at shows for similar results.

From a studio perspective, it's still a smaller diaphragm dynamic mic designed for good off-axis rejection and lower handling noise in live situations, so not my first, second, third, or probably even fourth choice on vocals. decent for guitar cabs, kick drum etc.
    It's a subtly different version of an SM58 or 57 that has some slight, nuanced differences, but very much a similar sound. If it's the only mic available then you can certainly make it work and get decent results.

FortyEight likes this.
  3. hamerfan

hamerfan Tele-Meister

We have 2 male singer and a female singer. One of the men bought a e935. I convinced him to give it to our female singer and stay with the SM58 for live. The e935 suits the female voice, while i want to hear more push with the male voices.

FortyEight and CapnCrunch like this.
  4. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

If you A/B the 935 with an SM58 side by side, you will find they are quite different. The 935 is in my opinion a much better sounding vocal mic than a 58.

RomanS likes this.
  5. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I've got one and prefer it to anything else I have for live vocals. I have other options I prefer for recording, but for live, it's a good, solid, bullet-proof option.

FortyEight and CapnCrunch like this.
  6. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We had those and they were fine, "upgraded" to the 965, those are pretty awesome.

FortyEight likes this.
  7. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

Thanks guys. I'm a bit concerned about the whole aspect of guys to girls too. I always feel like my voice is captured more realistically with a 58 as compared to a 57. These are really the only mics I have experience with. And the MXL990 which I didn't like for recording other than was maybe better for acoustic guitar.

someone is selling the E935 (he called them E935s) for 75 near me. My 58 is borrowed and I could use the 935 for live and possibly recording so I could give the 58 back. But I may be missing the 58 if I do that. LOL. Although the person that borrowed it to me doesn't seem to be in any rush to get it back. He's busier than a one armed paper hangar with 6 kids. No time for recording his own music right now.

I don't know... I'm trying to up my vocal sound in recording mainly and I'm not sure where to go. I've got 500 bucks to burn but don't know if I should get a better amp, guitar or mic. LOL. Or I might get some kind of compression pedal or rack mount.

Obviously those first two do nothing for my vocals. LOL.

8. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

If you are concerned about having to give up the SM58 you're borrowing and have need of a good live performance mic to bring to shows, then $75 for a 935 would be money well spent.

FortyEight likes this.
  9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been using Sennheiser E838's for years now. Great mics and a step up from SM58's. They are crisper and cleaner sounding. Some may not like that.

matman14 likes this.
  10. wineocaster

wineocaster TDPRI Member

Periodically they go on sale. I bought one, while they were on sale, because I really liked the E906 so I thought I’d give the E935 a try. The whole band now has them. I found them to be much clearer with more gain (louder) than the SM58. This was helpful for me as I don’t have a loud voice.

11. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

Good mic. Been using one for 8 yrs now.

12. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I prefer the 935 for vocals. More clarity. By comparison, the 57/58 sound kinda muddy.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  13. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

^^^^^ Yep.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.