Sennheiser E 906

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Bartholomew3, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Probably will buy one rather than the 609 cheaper model - anybody use one of these and have an opinion ? Worth twice the price of the 609 ?

I like the fact that it hangs off the amp, don't need a mike stand, has a 3 way control for highs/lows so I can knock-off some top-end.

2. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I've been using a 609 on my BFPR for a couple of years now. Our (ex)guitar player uses them too. Our sound guy likes them.
    I played at a place with a house PA a while ago. Their sound guy didn't like them, but stated that he does like the 906, although he was using all SM57s on our cabs.
    I guess it's a personal preference thing. I'm very happy with my 609, but my hearing is shot and the subtle differences other people hear is lost on me.

3. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

I've used both and definitely prefer the 906. I wasn't the one paying for them so I can't say if its worth twice, but it was a noticeable difference for me. More than just subtle.

4. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I've been using the 609 for a few years now. For the extra money the only difference seems to be that it picks up higher frequencies. So then you want to "knock-off some top-end"? You've paid for that top-end. I'm confused.

5. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I had one sold it not a good mic. I guess you can make anything sound passable with enough eq and effects I rather have something that sounds great just as it is. Try an EV re 50 n/d-b The Ev is 10 dollars more and a real microphone the senn 906 is more of a toy. Plus you can mic pretty much anything with the re 50 vocals, rhythm, lead, bass, steel. All sounds stellar.

6. Halo

Halo Tele-Meister

The top cut of the e906 does not really cut top end. It boosts around 3kHz in the 'bright' or 'flat' setting, and leaves the response actually flat in the 'cut' setting.

The e906 is just fine for guitar amps, but I wouldn't buy it again. In rougly the same price range you can have an EV468 or Beyer M201, which I like much better.

I never used the e609, so no first hand experience there.

7. DomitianX

DomitianX TDPRI Member

I've been using the 906 for about 5 or 6 years. I like it. I was using 57s before that but I prefer the 906.

8. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

9. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I loved my 609 when I was gigging (mostly bars in my waning years) — it was pretty much meatball audio, so a lot of the finer points were moot in that situation. I probably would have upgraded to a 906 if I'd continued, although more from a gear junkie aspect than an urgent tone necessity. :p

The 609 worked for some recording situations when you wanted 'that' sound, but certainly isn't a Swiss Army knife by any means. ... Oddly, I ran into one engineer who said he used one for kick drum. :eek::confused::lol:

10. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Thank-you for the input everyone. Am using an Audio Technica similar to an SM58 but a bit more $$$ - was originally bought for vocals, works with guitar but has a bit too much presence or treble at times.

I can EQ it out but would rather have a better sound going in.

11. surf green tele

surf green tele TDPRI Member

I used an e609 on my guitar amp for years. It's great gigging because you can just drape it over the amp. At one point I made a tiny mount which bolted right to the speaker grille - super easy set up.

It replaced an SM57 for me. I didn't want to pay the extra money for the e906 but felt like I wasn't missing much. I ended up EQing in software to fit everything in the mix anyway. Great mic for the price and practicality

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.