1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Senior School GCSE StratoTele Les-Ibanez-Paul-o-Caster?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TheOrangeGuy, Sep 4, 2012.

1. TheOrangeGuy

TheOrangeGuy TDPRI Member

Hey TDPRI :)

I am in Year 11 here in the UK, and for my GCSE in Design technology (workshop?) i will be building myself a guitar. but not any old guitar.

It will be a fusion guitar that incorporates features of Stratocasters, Telecasters, Les Paul's/SG's, Ibanezezezez... and Manson guitars, although I haven't the foggiest what to name this thing.

As you can see here, this is what I hope it to look like once I've finished it:

[​IMG]

The base of the body will be manufactured from either Poplar, Basswood or Ash, depending on availability, as recommended to me by the luthier at my nearest music shop (Nevada Music :D) It will be about 1.5 inches thick, and then the top piece will be formed of two planks of beautiful white french oak glued down the center, onto which the pickups and switches will be mounted after assembly.

Unfortunately I am quite a slow builder, so I have brought an el cheapo Chinese neck in satin maple, and then refinish in high gloss, like the MIM Tele and Strat that i have played, both owned by different family & friends, and I have since fallen in love with a high gloss maple neck with super slinkies :D

The neck and bridge pickups will be Wilkinson ones brought off eBay, and the center will be a Volt IronGear Active pickup. The two passives will be wired to a pair of silver anodized CNC'd aluminum knobs, one volume and one tone, and then the active to its own separate pair of black anodized knobs, so the pickups match their respective controls.

There will be a Strat 5-way by the knobs, which will be in the LP/SG position and where the 3 way is on a LP, there will be a toggle kill switch, all accessed via 3 cover plates in the back.

I have 8 months to build this, including a lot of background work, and hopefully the neck will be here next week.

Ill hopefully be updating this thread every time I get some work done :)

Thanks guys, and any input whatsoever is warmly appreciated.

2. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

I am looking forward to watching this develop.

3. Bri-Sonic

Bri-Sonic Tele-Meister

As a teacher of GCSE Design Tech I'll follow this with interest!

4. bunglenutter

bunglenutter TDPRI Member

I wanted to make a guitar in school for technology, but my teachers kept trying to put me off as it wasn't a solution to a problem.

5. TheOrangeGuy

Thankfully my teacher is a bassist so he's really encouraging me :)

6. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Really? I disagree, think of all the problems we'd have if there were no guitars in music. The keyboard guys would just run a-muck. That would be a problem.

Oh... and as a Tele Paul Les Caster kind of guy I really like what you are thinking here. Good luck and keep us posted.

7. TheOrangeGuy

Finally, some work has been done, but its all coursework :mad:

Well, at least both the neck and the bridge are on the way now, and will be with me in 1-2 weeks :D

BUT now i have finished my initial ideas, and well at least its something I can share with you, and these are still all viable projects :p

[​IMG]
    60's Telecaster

[​IMG]
    Heavy Metal SG

[​IMG]
    Le uber-Ibanez

[​IMG]
    Jazz/Precision Bass fusion

[​IMG]
    Worn 80's Les Paul

[​IMG]
    Surf Strat

But in the end, I chose the StratoTele Les Ibanez-Paul-o-Caster because it was the only design that was really appealing to me, and it was pretty creative, which is a huge part of this project requirements.

Sorry about the lack of any real progress, but hopefully things will start to pick up after next week :p

Thanks for the interest guys, I really hope that I will continue to keep you interested!

8. bunglenutter

bunglenutter TDPRI Member

They're all really neat, but my advice would be to focus your attention on just one for now. Teles are nice to start with cos they're relatively easy. I like the simple black and white Tele design - do you know what you'll use to paint and finish it yet?

9. mike steel

mike steel Tele-Meister

Me too

problem identification, design brief, design development, 'realisation'..

justify that vision in your head!

I made this:

[​IMG]

diddn't get a good mark for it like but it's on a few people's records

10. mike steel

mike steel Tele-Meister

orangeguy, I hope yours looks a bit prettier

11. Fred_Garvin

Fred_Garvin Tele-Holic

Oh, to be in high school shop class now that I know I should have been making guitars, not birdhouses. (Damn birds never did pay their rent).

Keep us posted, you have a great idea for a build.

12. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Wow!! Ask that teacher to google Bloombergs evaluation approach for teachers..:lol:

13. TheOrangeGuy

I was looking for a high gloss varnish finish that enhances the grain, but if thick enough so you can only just feel it, or maybe not at all, and I really don't know if I want to stain it, because there are so many colours I could make it :/

14. TheOrangeGuy

Sooo, some progress has sort of finally been made.

So according to Parcel Force (otherwise known as Parcel Farce) my maple neck was delivered to my dad's work last Monday (17th) and they have signatures and everything. But from there on it has gone missing, it should have gone straight to his desk, but the guy who received it doesn't remember seeing it. So it has gone missing for a week, we have looked all over the factory and offices twice with no luck, so my dad'll put an email round tomorrow to try and find it...

And then when i got home, imagine my joy when finally the Tune-o-Matic had arrived, but then i realized that something, or two very important things were missing...

[​IMG]

*facepalm*

So that's it for this week...

15. TheOrangeGuy

Finally, some kind of progress!

Sunday evening: after despairing if we'll ever find the neck, I ordered a new unbranded one from the UK with 50's style tuners on eBay...

Monday morning: the missing neck plonks on my dads desk...

So it turned out that parcel force had LIED. -.- I hate them now. So the neck had only just left HK when they supplied us with the fraudulent tracking sheet, which they claimed proved that it had been delivered, and that our deliveries guy was lying and that someone had stolen it, but THEY lied, they're so bad that they can't even keep track of their own parcels.

So, putting that aside, the neck looks really good, it's even flamed!

image-2984942699.jpg

image-1738086943.jpg

image-123296201.jpg

Time to go order more stuff! Thankfully it's all coming from reputable stores inside the UK now :)

16. TheOrangeGuy

Well, it's been a while, hasn't it?

I'm sorry there's been such a delay, and I'm sorry to have to resurrect a long dead thread, but I didn't want to have to start a new one...

So the ash body pieces arrived a few months ago, they were planed and glued really quite well, but then everything sort of stopped until 2 weeks ago, when finally progress was made, and quite a bit of it at that, and then lots of lovely new components arrived :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Progress... :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.