Send/return pedal for pre- and post-fuzz face volume?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Chart72, May 24, 2021.

1. Chart72

Chart72 TDPRI Member

I got a sunface. I love it. It’s always on. I love the way it cleans up so much that I frequently have my guitar volume lower than I ever thought I would. And I love it full-on and dirty. This brings some challenges with level though. Right now I have a volume pedal after it on the board, but I find myself fidgeting with it a little too much, and I struggle to set the right level quickly in a band situation. I’m wondering if there’s a way to change the tone knob on my guitar to a second (post-fuzz) volume control using some sort of stereo pedal/cable/guitar wiring combo. Don’t know how this would work, exactly. Has it been done? Is there something out there that already does this? I’d prefer not to run multiple cables to the guitar.

2. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

I also love the FF circuit, but I don't understand why you can't turn down the volume on the pedal. Using a volume pedal after it just means you have one potentiometer wide open (VOL in the pedal) then another pot (the volume pedal) attenuating the signal from the pedal.

Why not just turn it down?

bottlenecker likes this.
  3. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

1. First conductor goes from guitar to pedal input.
    2. Second conductor comes back from pedal output to guitar vol. pot #2.
    3. Third conductor goes from guitar output #2 to amp.

All conductors need to be individually shielded from each other to prevent feedback / crosstalk. Makes for a very stiff & thick cord. Or 3 individual cords. Sound like fun?

I suggest something else...a change in knob technique maybe.

4. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

An idea from Analogman's site: put one of those big flat knob covers on the volume knob so you can turn it with your foot. :cool:

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  5. Chart72

Chart72 TDPRI Member

Yes something like this is what I was thinking. Wondering if there is a way to do it that’s not so clunky. A small stereo splitter box or something. But I’d need 3 channels. Does not sound fun- You might be onto something with the change in knob technique.. This volume pedal is new to me so I probably just need to get used to the sweep. But the difference between a pedal and an onboard knob is that you can’t just glance at it and know where you’re set.

another option would be to hook the fuzz on the guitar or onto my belt and do 2 short leads to & from the pedal. Or just use the volume pot on the pedal itself.

I also might experiment with a linear taper pot in the guitar as the standard log pot I have is so sensitive in the upper region which makes dialing in the right levels a little harder.

6. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

If you like to tinker, you could make a pedal with a buffer and a volume pot on the input and on the output, a 4PDT switch and a send/receive loop for the fuzz. This way you could have two preset volume settings - in bypass it would send the signal direct to the pedal (your low volume setting) and when activated, it would send the signal through the volume pots - the pot on the send side would be boosted and the receive side would be attenuated.

Not sure how to wire the switching, though. As for buffering, there are some simple buffer circuits on the web. Jack Orman's page on buffers is a good place to start.

7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

The Fuzz Face circuit is so simple that you could conceivably just put it all within the guitar itself. Then you could just repurpose the guitar's tone pot to be the fuzz's volume control. Since this pot is 500K linear taper, you could also get one with a DPDT switch, so that you can turn the fuzz on and off. I think the biggest issue with putting onboard electronics within a guitar is typically if or where to put the 9V battery.

Another potential way to go would be to put the Fuzz Face within something that you plug right into your guitar's output jack, like was done with a Jordan Bosstone or one of the Dan Armstrong effects. That way, you could just reach over and make your necessary adjustments on the fly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chart72 and ThermionicScott like this.
  8. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Compressor pedal after Fuzz Face makes the sounds of the fuzz really jump in a good way and also evens out level between rolled-back clean and full fuzz. I use a Fulltone 69 into a Chicago Stompworks orange squeezer clone, and the trio of my guitar controls and the two pedals makes for a dozen great sounds.

Chart72 likes this.
  9. Chart72

Chart72 TDPRI Member

That seems like a good first thing to try. Don’t have a compressor either so it’s a good excuse to go get one. I’ll see if I can pick up a used one and try it out.

10. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Or you could borrow one from a friend? The volume interaction between fuzz face, guitar, and amp takes some practice. So don't shortcut that, either.

11. Chart72

Chart72 TDPRI Member

That’s good advice. FF is pretty new to me and because of the pandemic I have just started using it in a band context. I guess, like many things, patience and practice is the real answer! Probably still going to try out a compressor at some point.

Edgar Allan Presley likes this.
  12. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

why not just use two FF.

Frontier9 likes this.
  13. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Are you trying to use the volume pedal to adjust your volume? This is not what they're for. It will make sound engineers hate you, and your level will always be wrong. Set your volume, on your amp, and leave it. The pedal is for fade ins, soft attack and sustaining stuff. So keep it all the way up, its an easy to find spot with repeatability.

Sounds like you're using the fuzz face right, though. Enjoy.

14. Chart72

Chart72 TDPRI Member

Right. That’s why I started this thread. Not that I will be playing with a sound engineer anytime soon, but the volume pedal still never got me the right level at a jam. And I don’t think it ever will with any ease/repeatability. So I am looking for another way to normalize volume since I am now using a much broader portion of my guitar’s volume control.

anyway I spent more time tweaking the volume knob around this afternoon and there is a clean sound that’s not too much quieter than the dirty sound-probably in the mix it would sound roughly the same given the increase in brightness. It’s just such a tiny spot that I think I need to put a linear pot in. I’ll report back when I do the switch

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    bottlenecker likes this.
  15. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "a much broader portion of my guitar's volume control". I know you're using the volume knob more to clean up, but is this causing your actual apparent volume in the mix to change?
    This is a germanium ff circuit, right?
    I think you can get pretty close to cleaning up a ge ff without much of a drop in apparent volume, if you practice getting the right spot with the volume knob.
    It does help to play into an amp that's out of headroom. Maybe a compressor or amp style overdrive could work.
    The end result when I use a fuzz face, though, clean or dirty amp, is that the cleaned up sound is almost the same volume as full fuzz. The fuzz seems louder because it's such a compressed sound, but it's appropriate for it to seem a little louder. Just takes some dialing and practice.

Chart72 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.