Semi hollow to pair my Tele

DFB1

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I have a Tele Classic 50s, I would like to add a low budget semi hollow with humbucker pickup, with a sound like “Gibson style”.
I’m thinking about:
- Epiphone ES339
- Ibanez AM93
- Squire CV Starcaster (?)
- Gretsch xxx
- other suggestions?
What would be the best choice in term of build quality (I’m not a great fan of Made in china) and sound?
Thank you!
Epi 335 Pro is the SDOTD.

tonfarbe

Tele-Afflicted
I suggest an Epiphone 'Inspired by Gibson' ES 335.
The quality, looks and sound is stunning and not comparable to the old Epis with the large (IMHO ugly) headstock.

princeton_at_home.JPG

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I am selling an Ibanez Artstar AS153 right now. I think it is a fantastic guitar in every way. But the neck was just a little thick for me so I ended up with something different with a thinner neck. The AS153 was very noticeably better than the AS93 in my opinion, which I had also tried. If you end up looking at Ibanez, keep in mind the “Artstar” series is a higher level than the “Artcore.”

Gaz_

Tele-Holic
I suggest an Epiphone 'Inspired by Gibson' ES 335.
The quality, looks and sound is stunning and not comparable to the old Epis with the large (IMHO ugly) headstock.

View attachment 991527
It's all opinion isn't it, but I love the real Epiphone headstock on a semi hollow.
BvK7kWqIgAACHQq.png

I have an Epi 335 Dot, and I'm staggered by the quality each time I pick it up, especially for what I paid. So the new ones must be phenomenal!

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
339 is a good choice. I found a used Ibanez as120 which is great. Also a thinking tele or G&L blues boy semi hollow would be cool
Agree on the Ibanez AS120. I had one for a while and thought it was great. You can find them used for around $600, so I think it's a good bargain. I thought it was a much better guitar than the AM93. In my opinion the Ibanez AM93 is about equal to the Epiphone 339. The Ibanez AS120 is better, and the AS153 better still.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have a Tele Classic 50s, I would like to add a low budget semi hollow with humbucker pickup, with a sound like “Gibson style”.
I’m thinking about:
- Epiphone ES339
- Ibanez AM93
- Squire CV Starcaster (?)
- Gretsch xxx
- other suggestions?
What would be the best choice in term of build quality (I’m not a great fan of Made in china) and sound?
Thank you!
I went on a semi-hollow search over the past year or two, and posted my thoughts previously. Might be helpful to you:

paperman

TDPRI Member
mostly....sort of.... it has a block under the bridge

full review here:
Very interesting... I think that Starfire DC I could be a good choice (semi-hollow, handcrafted in Indonesia.....), anyone has compared it with the es335/339?

paperman

TDPRI Member
In the used market I found also some ES335 made in Korea (beginning of '00).
Do you think they would have better build and sound quality compared to the latest chinese manufacture?

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
I just picked up an Ibanez AM93, quilted sunburst top. This is one fine guitar for not a whole lot of money. The p/us are excellent, no need to change these. Ebony fingerboard, well designed bridge and stop tailpiece. Tuners that work, and work very well. This Ibanez gets my vote. Great sound from the Super 58 p/us.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
When the topic is budget guitars, Thomann’s Harley Bentons haven’t let me down (I have 4 of their solid bodies). Here are their semi-hollows:

Or for those in Italy

paperman

TDPRI Member
On the used market I found some Sheraton/SheratonII made in Korea i late 90s/early 00s.
I like that it is an original Epi model (not a Gibson imitation model) and built in a more "solid" country than China (sorry, although the differences probably won't be noticeable/audible).
Might be the right choice?
What are the technical differences from a standard es335/dot?

John O

Tele-Meister
In the used market I found also some ES335 made in Korea (beginning of '00).
Do you think they would have better build and sound quality compared to the latest chinese manufacture?
I have an epi 335 from 2001, made in Korea. Outstanding gtr, slender neck. replaced the p'ups with Duncans. Slightly neck heavy, so I use a suede strap which doesn't slip.

6519 167.JPG

Also, I think the G&L Tribute series ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-hollow is a high quality build, nice price point, here's an example from Reverb... https://reverb.com/item/56128923-g-...semi-hollow-with-rosewood-fretboard-red-burst . Made in Cort factory in Indonesia. Nice guitars. You could probably barter down to $400 or so for a used one in very good condition.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes, I'm following some Starfire DC I, Indonesian made.... do you think could be better build compared to a Sheranton korean (or chinese) made?
I haven't played the others, but I'm always just very impressed by Guilds.

I think they would all be good choices, though.