Semi-Hollow... to f-hole or not to f-hole...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bl28, May 26, 2020.

1. bl28

bl28 Tele-Meister

7C97EF40-AB5F-4EE0-8D57-43DC138D36EE.jpeg 65DAC5BB-C626-407F-BAF8-AC065A881F7C.jpeg 6594038D-4B20-437C-ABF7-D4EBEBE1DDEB.jpeg I’m building an acoustic-styled Tele now. Guts, back, and neck from African mahogany. Top is European spruce. Body will be a little thicker than a normal Tele at close to 2”. If it goes according to plan, as I’ve never bound a guitar before, it’ll have herringbone purfling and an old school 45 backstrip. Haven’t decided on pickup configuration yet. Neck is almost done, with an angled Martin-esque headstock, volute, and will have carbon reinforcements along with the truss rod. Ebony fingerboard.

The broad question I have... do f-holes make any difference in electrics, or is it purely aesthetics? Then aesthetically, would purfling and f-holes be too busy? Decisions, decisions... open to any and all
    useful input. Thanks!

mkster and DarkshipDan like this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Having made one with f-holes, I am firmly in the been-there-done-that club. :D

I don't think f-holes are going to make any noticeable sound difference in your build.

What kind of treatment for the f-holes? Binding or none?

eallen, bl28 and brookdalebill like this.
  3. bl28

bl28 Tele-Meister

I did just make a dual f-hole Tele (unbound), so that’s a good point.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m in the no F Hole camp.
    They look cool, but I think hollow guitars sound better
    (electrically) without them.
    I’m basing my opinion on the sound of my fully hollow Chet.
    It has the painted on F holes, and is my all time (so far) best sounding electric guitar.

Twelvefrets, BB and bl28 like this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I'll give you my opinion, but you know what they say about opinions. F-holes or some variation looks correct on guitar based on classical Gibsons and other traditional designs. They look wrong on Fender. It looks even sillier with one f-hole on one side and not on the other. OK, now I'll put on my fire proof underwear and get ready for the flame throwers.

Saying that, I put them on guitar that are based on traditional designs - ES175 and 335 and L5's and F5 mandolins. When I built my personal tele I chambered it much as you have done, but I left the silly f-hole off. I think it looks much better and it sounds fine.

Some things to remember, however. F-holes make the guitar more prone to feedback, which is why BB had them left off of his Lucilles. If you don't put them in your semi you will need to provide an access hole for the electronics. However it is also a total PITA to fish electronics thru f-holes, I build them in during construction. If you are making your top close to acoustic thickness you should consider reinforcing the holes - they often split at the sharp points. They are a hassle to bind, but look elegant when they are. In a true acoustic instrument they are critical to the air chamber sound and need to be tuned as part of voicing the top, not an issue for you. They can be used to show off your design ideas - look at all the cool archtops - but some of them just look dumb.

That said, I would leave them off of any fender inspired guitar. YMMV

Ps - I did a little write up on installing binding and purfling, let me know if you would like the link.

JRush, GibbyTwin, tintag27 and 5 others like this.
  6. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

Binding the F holes is about the most work out of the whole guitar build. So Ya gotta really like what it adds to do it.

bl28 likes this.
  7. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The f-hole is one of the places I've seen distinctive design - personally, I'm for it, w/o any idea how much harder I've just voted to make op's project. You're welcome. . .
    Peace - Deeve

reverb11, Mad Kiwi and bl28 like this.
  8. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I’ll play the other side: I think F-holes look sweet on F-style guitars! Hard to say how much impact they have on tone, all of my Thinlines have F-holes and I know they are far more resonant acoustically than my solid bodies...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

reverb11, Macrogats, Alter and 9 others like this.
  9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

F-hole, because:

when you play a guitar with an f-hole at high volume, at that perfect spot just before feedback, it is an organic experience, the top vibrates and pushes air through the f-hole, you feel that against the inside of your forearm, and the guitar becomes a living breathing thing :cool:

Deeve, crazydave911, Mad Kiwi and 4 others like this.
  10. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am for an f hole in any semi hollowbody

bl28 likes this.
  11. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

I'm squarely in the almost always F-hole camp. Of course I tend to be partial to Thinline Teles, all else being equal. I don't think they belong on every type of Tele or Fender shape, but on a traditional Thinline or '70s HH Thinline, I say they complete the look. So if you're putting a pickguard on it or anything, yes. F-hole. No pickguard, then forego it.

bl28 likes this.
  12. bl28

bl28 Tele-Meister

all great input - thank you.

I’ll be adding electronics routs before glue up. I’m also planning on removing more to make it more-semi-hollow. Maybe. Last one I did, I forgot the electronics routs and had to drill them with the footlong bit, which I despise.

And yes please, I’d love the link to the binding/purfling!

13. bl28

bl28 Tele-Meister

here’s the one I finished recently... I like the f-holes a lot on this one.
    758A0676-E9DC-4CA9-A260-52C7F8CA7113.jpeg C54DBC0F-E382-4F88-A830-ECC782A8224C.jpeg EC440A4D-3127-4F35-AD74-43A03693D940.jpeg E764007C-C596-4478-82CB-486F21416BF5.jpeg

Marblatx, muudcat, Jim622 and 10 others like this.
  14. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

My final word is no "f-ing" holes!

crazydave911 and bl28 like this.
  15. bl28

bl28 Tele-Meister

Now that sounds delightful.

My plan was initially dual f-holes and no pickguard. I hadn’t even thought about a pickguard. But a black guard could look fantastic. Thanks for putting more thoughts in my skull!

crazydave911 and nathanteal like this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's unlike any other guitar experience. It's a huge part of why I generally prefer semi/hollowbodies

tdoty and bl28 like this.
  17. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Here is the insides of a semi hollow (335 style). The f-holes are taped to prevent cracking and will be bound. I install all the electronics with the back off so I can get the wiring perfect. This is the full length kerfed 335 style center block - this guitar got a ToM with a Bigsby

IMG_3301.JPG

Binding the holes with the old wicked CA trick

IMG_3309.JPG

Here is the link, hope it helps

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/binding-101.1002709/

tintag27, BB, Jim_in_PA and 1 other person like this.
  18. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

Someday when I have the wherewithal to build guitars from scratch, this will be my "f-hole"... image%3A10690.jpg
    I drew it up for a guy who was supposed to build me a custom LPB Thinline a few years ago. He totally bombed on follow through and it never came to fruition (come to think of it, he still owes me $1000 from that deposit), but I'm still itching to get it carved into a top someday.

twangdude, dswo, tdoty and 2 others like this.
  19. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Meister

No "F" hole

crazydave911 and bl28 like this.
  20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Hollow...no F hole.
    I dig it.
    IMG_20200311_145350.jpg

muudcat, Jlwctn and bl28 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.