Semi-hollow PU suggestions to get rid of mud

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by GhostofJohnToad, Dec 19, 2017.

1. GhostofJohnToad

GhostofJohnToad Tele-Afflicted

Just got this a week ago... 1513730819587.jpg

It plays really great and I think it's got a lot of potential but it sounds like its covered in a blanket. Both neck and bridge suffer from the same, but more the neck. I have played with the heights of the pickups to try to get it better but it's not clearing up. The pots are 500k for reference. I'd like to clear it up a bit. I'd like the neck to be good, clean and articulate and the bridge to be a little gritty and rocking.

Right now I'm leaning toward a Duncan pearly gates in the bridge and a Duncan jazz in the neck. Think this will get in the ballpark? I'm open to other similarly priced options.

uriah1 likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

one guy here has had success with removing the polepiece screws all together, in making for a clearer sound from humbuckers. Maybe give that a shot before buying replacement pickups, it's completely free and completely reversible

BorderRadio and TeleTucson like this.
  3. farmcaster

farmcaster TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I have a Aria TA-61 which is similar (no center block tho) that I put DiMarzio PAF pros in & they work fantastically in that guitar. Nice looking fiddle...

4. GhostofJohnToad

Removing pole piece screws? Interesting. How technically does that change the tone? I'm curious.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They're not cheap, but I like TV Jones Sulertrons, Classic, and Classic+ pickups best.
    Bar none.
    Clarity is their best attribute, IMO.
    You will need the "English" mounts from TV Jones too.

BorderRadio and Straydogger like this.
  7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Drop the pickups away from the strings particularly on the low E side. Is it an amp like a vintage Fender with 1 and 2 inputs? Try it in 2. Also, bright switch if there is one.

JL_LI and Straydogger like this.
  8. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

My Ibanez AS73 My Ibanez and Marshall (2).jpg with Gibson '57 Classic and Classic +.....all else is stock. A huge improvement...

Quinn23 and brookdalebill like this.
  9. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Your description of what you are after sounds exactly like a Manlius Landmark (neck) and Manlius Fat Diane (bridge).

I had exactly that combination in an SG copy. Still have the Landmark, but wanted something more bright and twangy in the bridge rather than the more rocking sound that the Fat Diane excels at.

https://www.manliusguitar.com/collections/humbuckers

Both are PAF style pickups. The FD is towards the higher wound end of the PAF spectrum with more mid punch, while the Landmark is a lower wind pickup, very clear but still smooth and warm. Just a lovely neck pickup sound.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

That looks like an Ibanez Artcore and until recently they've been fitted with the dismal ACH-1 and ACH-2 humbuckers. I've removed polepiece screws (as mentioned above) with these exact pickups, and it did improve things somewhat, but it was akin to polishing a turd - yes, it brought more perceived high-end, but only because it dropped out some of the bass (and tone). Since the pickups are muddy and lifeless in the first place, "improving" them really doesn't make them that great. Your best bet is any cheap, aftermarket Alnico humbuckers. I put no-name Alnico pickups from eBay in my Artcore and it improved the tone immensely. You don't need top spend a lot of $$$ on Duncans to improve this guitar.

teleaddicted and Quinn23 like this.
  11. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

It significantly reduces the pickup inductance, thereby raising the resonant frequency and increasing the high frequency response in the process. The hidden poles under the pickup cover still have their pole-pieces (slugs) in place, and it makes those poles dominate the response, more like a single-coil. But it will still retain a lot of it's literal humbucking ability because both coils are still there in the pickup out of phase. Blowtorch is right, this should make a significant difference and may make you happy. For some, it starts to make things sound thinner than they like. But - easy & reversible. If you decide you like it, you could get some non-ferrous nylon screws to plug the holes so stuff doesn't get in there.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    BorderRadio likes this.
  12. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

You can always go with higher value pots, too. The PG and Jazz will certainly do it, though...as well as Antiquities. I have a guitar where I have to use much brighter pickups than I ever would because it is like a giant mid-heavy beast. I like mids, but this is really bad. Now I have a Jazz & Custom 5 in there and it sounds like a normal instrument.

13. GhostofJohnToad

So I am playing into a Vox AC15 and these are the newer Ibanez elite whatever pickups. Supposed to be better than the older ones I thought. My full hollow body Gretsch sounds wonderful through the Vox.

I may try the screw thing for kicks as its cheap. But I think I'll probably want to get newer pickups. Which I generally don't do. Most my guitars have all their stock pickups.

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Oh.... yeah, those are supposed to be good pickups so I'm not sure what's causing the problem you're seeing.

15. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just put a set of Sunday Handwound's Double Raw PAFs in my 335 copy, and I am VERY happy with them:
    https://reverb.com/item/6595702-sun...catter-wound-late-50-s-spec-humbuckers-w-clip

Great quality build. They sound like humbuckers, but are extra clean and sparkly. So much so, I'm pretty sure I even wired it in with a 500k volume and 250k tone (or maybe it was the other way around, I can't recall. I don't like 4 knobs. I like 2. Cause I'm a tele guy at heart).

The neck pickup is very smooth and clear. It'll almost cop some strat neck sounds, and easily covers the 335 jazz-neck sound. Gained up, it is perfectly woolly. Just what you'd hope for from a good vintagey PAF.

The bridge pickup is strong but lean. Slightly (and perfectly) microphonic. It will get raw and edgy. Throaty. But it really covers the spectrum. It'll do smooth, too. Doesn't quite have the bite of a good broadcaster tele bridge pup, but with more output on tap, it's not too far off either. Neil Young tones are at my fingertips (wait, doesn't he use a P90 and a firebird?? Yes, exactly)

I don't ever play that guitar and feel like I'm missing a sound.

And Tim is a great guy to do business with. I bet he'd be willing to wind whatever you can dream up.

16. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

If you want something tried and proven, look at the Seth Lover. I had them in a 339 and they sound great. Now have them in a Les Paul. I also use an AC15 quite a bit, and the Seth never disappoints.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I went through this with my Epi Sheraton II. I went with way inexpensive low output ('57 PAFs) Alnico II uncovered Vansons (eBay from the U.K.). My reasoning is the musicality of Alnico IIs and uncovered for clarity. Bingo. Done. I just checked, $23 a piece/$44 a pair. Black, white or zebra. They give me exactly what I wanted for relatively dirt cheap. Never looking back.

Oh yeah, no affiliation.

18. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

IMO, a series cap (reduces bass response) is the silver bullet when it comes to removing mud. Better yet, install a bass roll off tone control, like the G&L PTB wiring, which is variable series capacitance, so you can dial it in how you like it. All the highs and mids are exactly the same, but the bass will be as tight or loose as you like.

19. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

If you want to remove the fillister screws, but hate the look, but some spare fillister screws, and just cut the ends super short, so that they're only a few milimters long, just long enough to not fall out of the pickup, then stick them in there, and you'll get most of the benefits of removing the screws without messing up the look.

Or, take the pickup apart, keep the fillister screws as it, but remove the slugs. The only drawback there is you have to take the whole pickup apart to get to that slug coil, and sometimes those slugs are tightly wedged in there and difficult to dislodge.

20. nikola

nikola Tele-Meister

I have the Duncan Seth Lover set in my AS73.

Recently had the itch to change it out for some toneriders but decided against it after long consideration.

In reality, any PAF style pickup should improve clarity..

Mincer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.