1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Semi hollow on the cheap...Part of a matching set

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by highdive, Sep 14, 2016.

1. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

I posted a while back about a thinline acoustic/electric body I built out of MDF. That thing came out great (IMHO) and spurred me on to do another build. the ac/el looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I decided on a semi-hollow type using plywood this time for the frame and an MDF top and back. I had a very tight time window to get this done, so, sadly no progress pics. It still needs a few minor touches but it is up and running. It features two Dream 180's and a 5-way switch (PRS options).

The "f holes" were a late addition but I really like the look and effect. This guitar is nearly as loud acoustically and the full hollow ac/el. XGP neck again and excellent quality as was the first one. Same issue with the nut not being cut right, but I replaced that.

The third and final (maybe) member of the group will be a solid body with similar aesthetics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the pair:

[​IMG]

2. rbro

rbro TDPRI Member

Nice work, good concepts.

rbro

3. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Love both those--really nice consistent aesthetic. Beautiful.

Sound clips please!

Zepfan and HockeyPop98 like this.
  4. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Very tasty looking!

5. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Those are beautiful.

Why MDF?

6. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nice stuff you made there.

7. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

Thanks. And good question! The first body was just going to be a prototype using the cheapest materials I could find that would work. And it was always going to be a solid color. So that body cost me $12. However, after all the hard work that went into it, and as nice as it plays, I decided there was nothing wrong with it :D

I stayed with it for the top and back of the semi to keep the look consistent. I was surprised at how well the edges of mdf polish up and take a stain. Looks like some nice mahogany was used, but it wasn't.

The next body will be solid though, probably mahogany, as it will have an arm contour. Still game planning that one for the next time I have some shop access and time.

8. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Yes, you've an eye for design I think.

HockeyPop98 likes this.
  9. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Holic

I'm blown away. Those are beautiful guitars. Absolutely beautiful.

What thickness of MDF did you use? And what did you do for the finish?

10. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

They don't look cheap. Beautiful work!

11. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wow, those are awesome! I haven't worked with MDF for about 16 years now but used to build a lot with it. It sure is nice to work with and it takes paint nicely too. (providing the end is sealed up). That stained piece turned out really nicely. I didn't realize it was MDF as well until I read further. Great concept and designs.

12. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

Thank you all. I should have been more clear though. I did use mahogany for the center section of the electric and the bridge on the acoustic. The idea was to use a nice wood accent piece against the painted mdf. The edges of the top and back are finely sanded and stained to give the look of wood binding.

Both tops and backs are 1/4" mdf. The acoustic's frame is two 3/4" layers glued together to give an overall 2" body depth. The electric is 3/4" + 1/2" plywood layered for 1 3/4" body depth. They both weigh right at 7 pounds which feels solid and balanced while being comfortable to play.

13. DannyJustQuit

DannyJustQuit Tele-Meister

Wow, these are killer -any videos or recordings of them in action?

14. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

They definitely are beautiful! For the top, have/had you ever considered masonite, which I'd think would be far more resonate for a soundboard?

The other question, just out of sheer curiosity, is what is the total weight of them? Again, they look great!

15. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Really great design work - very impressive!

I've been using MDF and pine for my recent builds and it seems to produce surprisingly good results. Not the prettiest wood in the world but as long as you're finishing it in a solid colour it's fine.

We just need to come up with a fancy sounding alternative name for it, so it doesn't sound like we're using cheap hardware store rubbish...

triplefg likes this.
  16. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

Nathan Daniel would be so proud! Great looking guitars!

17. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

I made a quick video of the Gulfstream II ( I had to give it a name for my own amusement). Nothing fancy. Just a little Kodak Play Sport camera and the onboard mic.

I picked up a Flyrig 5 today since I have no amps anymore and that's another video for another time, but...wow.

awasson and sergiomajluf like this.
  18. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That sounds pretty great. I like the tones you're getting out of those pickups with the 5-way switching.

19. triplefg

triplefg TDPRI Member

That looks and sounds fantastic. I would happily play that thing! I love seeing people experiment with alternative materials - remember that Leo Fender chose the materials he did because they were cheap and plentiful and did the job - and none of the worlds "tone experts" has ever passed any sort of real double blind test.

20. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Great looking guitar. Love the design. It has a nice dark and mellow tone to it, not muddy at all. You got me thinking of building something similar with those Lipstick Tube HB's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.