1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Semi hollow guitar reveiw

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ebb soul, Jul 28, 2018.

1. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

This is the very last Hofner verythin contemporary available with the original headstock design, not the cheap looking one they switched to currently.
    An alternative to the Gibson/Epi 339.
    But.
    25 scale neck out of maple. Hello Fender players. 20180728_143335.jpg
    Semi transperant black , on fiddleback maple top and back. Kind of a crossgrain look, actually.
    Extremely reasonant unplugged. The top and back are thinner than you will find on, say, the Gibson.
    Neck is somewhere between the fat and skinny offered by Gibson. Seems to actually be slightly slimmeras you work up the neck.
    A forum member had asked do these have the thin frets, as per his prefference.
    Yes, it does.
    Moving to the fretboard, it is supposed to be rosewood, but its hard to tell. Grain is super tight and figureless, (an dark ) could as well be a modern phenolic in feel. It is fast. Could well be the best rosewood I have played on.

Pickups seem to compair to the Gibson 57's. Only flaw on this axe is they reverse mounted the neck pickup ring, causing the whole assembly to tilt funny. My OCD could not deal with that, so ten minutes with a screwdriver latter, sorted.
    Funny thing is Gibson does the same mistake on the 339. So a moot point by proxy.

Fully bound body, in a nice aged ivory. Headstock inlay pearl and abalone, sublime.
    Inner body block is spruce. Bodyis as thin as an SG. Sweet.
    Tuners prolly ping, but with propreitary square pealesque knobs.
    All hardware is nickel, and althou the bridge and tailstop seem typical, there is something here I sense as being better than the 339. Better metalurgy? (Shruggs)

Guitar setup perfectly out of the box. Saddles notched. A step Gibson loves to skip, even offering an excuse!
    Plugged in this guitar can be articulate but loves to roar with sustain.
    It will do jazz. It will do metal. Which pretty much means it will do all in between.
    I have not put her down since her arrivail, only pausing occasionally to play acoustic.
    It will prolly be my #1 or #2 out of 12.
    Hands down the best semihollow I have played out of, mmm..20, 30, in my life.
    To damn fun. Girlfren may be crossing her arms and tapping her feet soon.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    savofenno, FenderGyrl, Zepfan and 2 others like this.
  2. ebb soul

I should also mention, it costs a quarter of what my 399 did, and is three times more enjoyable.
    Anyone want a Gibson?

savofenno likes this.
  3. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Looks great - I've never seen that model in the flesh but they do some good stuff in that range.

I'm blaming you for my latest GAS related accident by the way! I did a couple of Ebay searches to try to find a picture of a 60s Verithin label for comparison when we were talking about your other Verythin purchase, so Verithins have been popping up on my Ebay feed ever since and I ended up buying one. I haven't received it yet but hoping it should be a cool guitar.

I've banned myself from Ebay for a few months though - clearly I can't be trusted on there...

4. ebb soul

I think you're in for a treat. My deliemma was the German one was so nice I wouldn't want to gig it.
    This one I can with no second thought.

savofenno and jayyj like this.
  5. ebb soul

20180728_155311.jpg 20180728_155351.jpg

Headstock and volute details.

kookaburra likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.