1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Semi-Hollow Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by hfw01, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Cool! I am experimenting with some Wald Electronics buffers now. Waldo makes one that is a clone of the buffer Jerry used in Tiger. Works wonderfully with normally passive pups.

I am also experimenting with an Alembic Stratoblaster buffer in a new Strat. Just the concept of making the guitar immune to cord length is a great benefit. I can't wait to hear your rig. The Guitar Fuel setup looks very interesting.
    Rob

2. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I found the guitar fuel rig in a youtube video when I was googling for how to install a piezo. Looked like a good solution.

I will try to record a video when mine is complete. I am not much of a player, so don't expect much. I do wish more threads had videos. I am always curious how everyone's guitars sound.

3. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I made a cover for the back from some scrap mahogany, and started cleaning up around the heal. I am also going to make the bottom edge of the heal a little more comfortable when playing the last few frets. The I will need to grain fill the bits I have worked on, and it will be ready for spraying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I got the heel carved at lunch today. I will need to give it a little more sanding before I grain fill it.

[​IMG]

5. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Decided the weather was favorable and borrowed my dad's compressor so I could start spraying nitro.

Here is how it looked after two coats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barncaster, Zepfan and MadJack like this.
  6. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Today's post was supposed to be about how I sprayed the last coat of lacquer, instead it is about how destructive a force gravity can be. This is what it looked like while the lacquer was still wet.

[​IMG]

And here is how it looked after I cleaned off the bits of dirt. I will have to give it a couple more coats to make it shiny, but I will have to live with the scar.

[​IMG]

7. OtherJMac

OtherJMac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Ouch. Been there before.

8. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Me too.

9. Bakeacake08

Bakeacake08 Tele-Meister

Bummer about the ding. I just read the first couple pages so it may have been mentioned before, but some of those older style sewing machines need to be oiled. They have a little hole and you just squirt a few drops from the fancy oil bottle it comes in. Hope that was helpful 8 months later...

10. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

If squirting a few drops of oil into my wife's (grandmother's) old sewing machine brings it back to life, your response 8 months later is the most useful thing I've read in the Internet in months.

11. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Last night I worked to get everything lined up inside the guitar, and wire up what I could. Like connecting the switch to the pre-amp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This morning I got the body wet sanded, and polished.

[​IMG]

This afternoon I started cutting the slots in the nut, and assembling the guitar.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, even with all of the work I did getting the neck angle steeper, and shortening the height of the bridge, I still ended up way off. I will try to sand some height out of the bridge, and see if I can make this one work. If not, I may have to go looking for a new bridge.

Also, I am getting sound out of the piezo in the bridge, but I am not getting anything out of the magnetic pickups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

I used that same preamp on my acoustic/electric build last year. It has a magnetic soundhole pickup and a piezo under the bridge. It kind of worked but I could never get a decent balance between the two sources.

A more careful reading of the product description revealed it seems to be made for blending magnetic or piezo pickups, not one with the other. No amount of fiddling I could do made it work right. In the end I swapped it out and put in a Bartolini system designed to mix the two types of pickups.

It was this one: https://www.bartolini.net/product/mpb2kit918/ At $84 it's not that much more than the SEB, but it works like a charm.

I hope you'll have better luck than I did, but I'd hate to see you chasing your tail like I did when all I wanted is for the darn thing to be DONE!

13. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Figured out why the magnetic pickups weren't working. I am going to let everyone in on a tip the pros won't tell you. It'll fix the no sound issue in a snap.

Make sure you don't get a ground and hot wire mixed up when soldering. I know I shouldn't let everyone know my trade secrets, but this is one I am willing to share.

14. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Awesome tip! I'm writing that one down!:D

15. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I've managed to get the nut close to complete, and the bridge is a little lower. I think I'll be able to take another 1/16 or 1/32 of an inch off of the nut. The bridge is going to require a little more surgery to get down to a decent height. I did string it up, and play it last night, and it is at least in playable shape. The action is just too high.

[​IMG]

guitarthrower and Barncaster like this.
  16. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I routed a channel in the bridge for the piezo, and it took another 1/8" out of the height. Action is getting closer. Playable, but not quite right. I have another 1/16th" to 1/8th" to go. I will probably have to un-solder the piezo so I can get the base of the bridge off of the guitar to sand the feet down. Seems like the best place to get the height out.

[​IMG]

17. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Not too bad. Only about a year and a half since I started this thread, and I am finally done.

I took another 1/8" off of the feet on the bridge, and raised the bridge pickup a little, and it is done. I will need to glue the nut in place next time I change strings, but that is minor.

[​IMG]

guitarthrower, kleydejong and MM73 like this.
  18. Barncaster

Let's hear it!

19. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I'll have to figure some way to get a recording of me that does not sound like a five year old just banging on the thing aimlessly. I have much more confidence in my building that I do in my playing.

20. Barncaster

Just a little strumming through a few chords is more than fine. We'd love to hear it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.