Semi-Hollow Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by hfw01, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Cool! I am experimenting with some Wald Electronics buffers now. Waldo makes one that is a clone of the buffer Jerry used in Tiger. Works wonderfully with normally passive pups.

I am also experimenting with an Alembic Stratoblaster buffer in a new Strat. Just the concept of making the guitar immune to cord length is a great benefit. I can't wait to hear your rig. The Guitar Fuel setup looks very interesting.
    Rob

2. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I found the guitar fuel rig in a youtube video when I was googling for how to install a piezo. Looked like a good solution.

I will try to record a video when mine is complete. I am not much of a player, so don't expect much. I do wish more threads had videos. I am always curious how everyone's guitars sound.

3. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I made a cover for the back from some scrap mahogany, and started cleaning up around the heal. I am also going to make the bottom edge of the heal a little more comfortable when playing the last few frets. The I will need to grain fill the bits I have worked on, and it will be ready for spraying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I got the heel carved at lunch today. I will need to give it a little more sanding before I grain fill it.

[​IMG]

5. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Decided the weather was favorable and borrowed my dad's compressor so I could start spraying nitro.

Here is how it looked after two coats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barncaster, Zepfan and MadJack like this.
  6. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Today's post was supposed to be about how I sprayed the last coat of lacquer, instead it is about how destructive a force gravity can be. This is what it looked like while the lacquer was still wet.

[​IMG]

And here is how it looked after I cleaned off the bits of dirt. I will have to give it a couple more coats to make it shiny, but I will have to live with the scar.

[​IMG]

7. OtherJMac

OtherJMac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Ouch. Been there before.

8. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Me too.

9. Bakeacake08

Bakeacake08 Tele-Meister

Bummer about the ding. I just read the first couple pages so it may have been mentioned before, but some of those older style sewing machines need to be oiled. They have a little hole and you just squirt a few drops from the fancy oil bottle it comes in. Hope that was helpful 8 months later...

10. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

If squirting a few drops of oil into my wife's (grandmother's) old sewing machine brings it back to life, your response 8 months later is the most useful thing I've read in the Internet in months.

11. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Last night I worked to get everything lined up inside the guitar, and wire up what I could. Like connecting the switch to the pre-amp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This morning I got the body wet sanded, and polished.

[​IMG]

This afternoon I started cutting the slots in the nut, and assembling the guitar.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, even with all of the work I did getting the neck angle steeper, and shortening the height of the bridge, I still ended up way off. I will try to sand some height out of the bridge, and see if I can make this one work. If not, I may have to go looking for a new bridge.

Also, I am getting sound out of the piezo in the bridge, but I am not getting anything out of the magnetic pickups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. highdive

highdive TDPRI Member

I used that same preamp on my acoustic/electric build last year. It has a magnetic soundhole pickup and a piezo under the bridge. It kind of worked but I could never get a decent balance between the two sources.

A more careful reading of the product description revealed it seems to be made for blending magnetic or piezo pickups, not one with the other. No amount of fiddling I could do made it work right. In the end I swapped it out and put in a Bartolini system designed to mix the two types of pickups.

It was this one: https://www.bartolini.net/product/mpb2kit918/ At $84 it's not that much more than the SEB, but it works like a charm.

I hope you'll have better luck than I did, but I'd hate to see you chasing your tail like I did when all I wanted is for the darn thing to be DONE!

13. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Figured out why the magnetic pickups weren't working. I am going to let everyone in on a tip the pros won't tell you. It'll fix the no sound issue in a snap.

Make sure you don't get a ground and hot wire mixed up when soldering. I know I shouldn't let everyone know my trade secrets, but this is one I am willing to share.

14. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Awesome tip! I'm writing that one down!:D

15. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I've managed to get the nut close to complete, and the bridge is a little lower. I think I'll be able to take another 1/16 or 1/32 of an inch off of the nut. The bridge is going to require a little more surgery to get down to a decent height. I did string it up, and play it last night, and it is at least in playable shape. The action is just too high.

[​IMG]

guitarthrower and Barncaster like this.
  16. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I routed a channel in the bridge for the piezo, and it took another 1/8" out of the height. Action is getting closer. Playable, but not quite right. I have another 1/16th" to 1/8th" to go. I will probably have to un-solder the piezo so I can get the base of the bridge off of the guitar to sand the feet down. Seems like the best place to get the height out.

[​IMG]

17. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Not too bad. Only about a year and a half since I started this thread, and I am finally done.

I took another 1/8" off of the feet on the bridge, and raised the bridge pickup a little, and it is done. I will need to glue the nut in place next time I change strings, but that is minor.

[​IMG]

guitarthrower, kleydejong and MM73 like this.
  18. Barncaster

Let's hear it!

19. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I'll have to figure some way to get a recording of me that does not sound like a five year old just banging on the thing aimlessly. I have much more confidence in my building that I do in my playing.

20. Barncaster

Just a little strumming through a few chords is more than fine. We'd love to hear it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.