1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Semi-Hollow Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by hfw01, Jul 17, 2015.

1. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Frets

I managed to get time to get the frets installed today. I have nipped them back as far as I can with the pliers I have, and now have to figure out how to get them back to edge of the fretboard, and get them beveled. I tried the old file I have, but it did very little.

[​IMG]

2. Torres-caster

Torres-caster TDPRI Member

I just did it (you saw in my last thread).

What I did was pretty low tech, but it seemed to work just fine:

1. Put making tape on board to protect it from stray marks.

2. Used normal flat file to file sides of frets down to tape perpendicular to board. You can file multiple frets at once this way. You also know when you've gone far enough because you can feel the file hitting the tape.

3. Then used file to create rough 45 degree bevel on end of each fret.

4. Took standard small needle file, then ground off one edge with dremel to create smooth "safe" edge for use against (taped) fingerboard.

5. Fine finished each fret using needle file. First "rolling" motion to create slight curve to bevel, then used safe edge on fingerboard and edges of bevel to take off sharp corners.

Yes. .. this is very labor intensive. FWIW, I think it took be about one hour of careful hand filing to get frets nice and flush to sides of board. That was one evening. Came back next evening then spent maybe 2 hours to get each fret edge dressed.

Its not "rocket science", just move slowly and be careful.

3. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Raising this one from the dead. After more than a year sitting in my front hall laughing at me for not making progress, I finally started working on this again. Getting a router for Christmas helped get me motivated.

Time to finally get the neck pocket routed.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the wood shifted during the routing process, so the pocket is a little bit bigger than the neck. I am going to glue some shims in prior to installing the neck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

R. Stratenstein and Barncaster like this.
  4. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I worked today to make some shims for the neck pocket. Hopefully when the guitar is done they won't be too noticeable.

Test fitting the shims before gluing them in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shims glued and clamped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clamps removed.

[​IMG]

5. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

The neck pocket is looking much better. The neck fits nice and snug now. I think the break angle for the neck is not quite steep enough. I set the bridge on the body, and laid a ruler on the neck, and it didn't line up quite right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the obligatory, "look ma, no clamps"

[​IMG]

Barncaster and Mbechmann like this.
  6. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Worked some more on the neck angle. Finally think that it is steep enough. I need to route for pickups, round over the back edge, and glue in the neck. After that it should be a final sanding and finishing.

[​IMG]

Mbechmann likes this.
  7. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I made a little bit of sawdust today. I used a forstner to drill out the pickup holes, rounded over the back edge, and did the recesses around the cavities on the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Made some dust at lunch time today. Finished the pickup routes. It's a tight fit, but should be good.

[​IMG]

9. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Decided to try using egg white for grain filling. Never tried it before, but looked like it was worth a shot. Cheap and already in the house...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I took some time in between grain filling sessions to drill some pilot holes, and do some final checking on the bridge location. Also verified that the neck was lined up properly, so that when I was done with grain filling, I could glue it in with confidence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arch Stanton likes this.
  11. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I need to trim about 1/2-3/4" of the back edge of the fretboard, and then I will be ready to glue the neck on. After that it is lacquer and electronics.

[​IMG]

12. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I cleaned up the back edge of the fretboard. Next up is gluing the neck to the body. Hopefully, I can make that happen this week.

[​IMG]

Barncaster likes this.
  13. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Decided to postpone cleaning up the kitchen, and making my daughters lunches for a few more minutes while I got the neck of my guitar glued in place. Once it is dried there will be a little clean up to do. I can see where there was a little too much glue at the back of the neck that has squeezed out that I can't get to. It should be hiding under the back edge of the finger board, so I hope it isn't too noticeable. Then it is on to lacquer and electronics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

The neck is glued up. I need to do some clean up and shaping where the neck and body meet. Then it will be ready for lacquer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barncaster and guitarthrower like this.
  15. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

Very cool build!

Am I wrong in detecting some Garcia/Anastasio influence in the design and features?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Barncaster and hfw01 like this.
  16. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Absolutely. I had the Garcia guitar in mind when I drew this one. I've always loved the look of that one. Also, a love for arch tops, which is why I have the tailpiece and arch top style bridge.

The Anastasio guitar, I am not familiar with, but I see the similarities. That is a good looking guitar.

Barncaster and a_pidgeon like this.
  17. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

The jam band guys tend to play some lookers.

With two singles and a piezo, I bet this is gonna sound killer.

18. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Thanks. I hope so. This is the first time I have wound pickups. They are not particularly high output, so we will see how they sound when I finally get it finished and wired up. I am excited about the piezo with a blend knob. In theory it will make cool noises.

Chip.Lindsey likes this.
  19. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

I like this build! What type of preamp/ buffer is that you are going to use? With that, your loosely wound 5k pups should sound pretty good!
    Rob

Chip.Lindsey likes this.
  20. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I bought the SEB-2A from Guitar Fuel
    I've never used a piezo or a pre-amp, so wiring this will be an adventure for me.

As this is only my second guitar build, I feel like each one should contain some sort of challenge. I'm pretty sure I will end up making a solid body resonator next. If I follow my normal pattern, it will take six months or more to get it started, and more than a year to finish. With most of that time being it sitting on the floor staring at me, and laughing.

Chip.Lindsey likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.