Semi-Hollow Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by hfw01, Jul 17, 2015.

1. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

EBay!

Awesome to hear that I have inspired anyone to give building something a try.

EBay is the place that I found most of my supplies. Rare earth magnets for charging. Pre-made bobbins. Magnets. Truly anything you need.

2. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

The one thing I wish I had done is gotten taller magnets than what came with the bobbins I bought. Full of wire I ended up at 5 ohms.

3. Torres-caster

Torres-caster TDPRI Member

Cool bridge, looks like you've got height, intonation and even potential string spacing adjustment.

Your bended over metal to hold the pickup in place is clever. I agree, that ought to work just fine.

If you wanted to prevent the pickup from being able to wiggle side-to-side, you could "pot" it in place using glue (or even leftover pickup wax!) stuck on either side. But you shouldn't "need" to.

In terms of appearance, nah, I think it looks fine.

The only thing I'd suggest is grinding or filing the metal around the two adjustment wheels flush to the bridge saddle. That will make it easier to adjust the wheels and with no metal sticking out anymore the insert would effectively be invisible from the top of the guitar.

Once the strings are in place they're help further conceal the insert and I think if you put some dark colored paint on the edges it would be effectively invisible.

4. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I was planning on timing the edges of the bracket around the bridge pegs, just hadn't gotten to it yet. I have a habit of cutting things a little bit big. It's harder to put material back than it is to trim a little more. I like the idea of painting the edges to match the bridge. I think I will do that. I also like the idea of using a little wax to hold it in place. I think that will be better than the double stick tape I was thinking of using. Also more reversible than glue would be.

Hal

5. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Your are right about having string spacing and intonation adjustments on this bridge. It's one of the reasons I picked it. The little metal bits pull out, and can be put anywhere in those grooves. I am wondering if I will need to put a little groove on them to keep the strings from sliding up and down. I figure I probably will.

6. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Body

I spent some time prepping the top for gluing, and got the body glued up. My prep work wasn't quite as good as I thought, so i have extra clamps on one side to try and help out. It's looks like it will be ok.

I owe my girls a big thanks for balancing the body while I was getting all of the clamps on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

And it's out

I unclamped the body this morning. It looks good. I will get a better view of the joint when I get some time on my dad's router. Hopefully I can make time next week to get the top cleaned up, and the neck down to size so I can get the fretboard glued on. I feel like I'm making good progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Now with wings!
    (Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of my daughters helping me clamp the headstock, but trust me, six hands are way better than two.)

[​IMG]

9. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Here is my first shot at the design of the headstock. I am considering making it a little wider, but am, set on the basic shape.

[​IMG]

10. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Progress!

I spent a good day working today. The first step was to build a sled for the router. Not pretty, but it was effective. Sorry, no action shots.

[​IMG]

Also, spent some time modifying my dad’s router table so that we would have access from the front without having to remove the router. (No pics.)

First I routed off the excess top, and got it to its basic shape. It actually looks like a guitar now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was able to get the neck angle routed, and I routed for the top carve. The areas around the horns I left unrouted, and will carve that part by hand. I also still need to route the neck pocket and spots for the pickups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I got it home I started working more on the f-hole. The shaded area is where I ended up. It’s a slight modification from my original drawing.

[​IMG]

11. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

My daughter asked that I post a mockup. She and I did a little bit of sanding on the top this morning.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1440353823.955739.jpg

12. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

And the top after a good bit of sanding and carving. I still need to carve the horns.
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1440366015.476701.jpg

13. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

A little bit of progress.

[​IMG]

14. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

F-Hole!

I have finally finished roughing in the f-hole. I thought I would be able to get my coping saw in there to complete the hole, but the was not enough space. I ended up having to use the drill press to get the majority of the work done. The rest of the work will be done with an x-acto knife and sand paper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also finished roughing out the electronics and battery cavities. I still need to route the recess for the electronics cover. I need to figure out what I am going to use so I can route it to the correct depth.

[​IMG]

15. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Oh, and the horns are also still waiting for me to carve them...

16. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

I ate a quick lunch, and then spent a few minutes working on the guitar. I got the headstock shape roughed in, and started on the carve of the horns. Then I had to head back to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

That is looking good!!

18. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Watching this one with interest. I love to see an original design... makes it loads of fun to see what it'll turn into and it's looking great so far :)

19. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

Diggin this build, just caught up... Its the best when the kids are into it with ya!

20. hfw01

hfw01 Tele-Meister

Thanks everybody. Glad y'all are enjoying following along.

I am not very good at building copies of other guitars. My first build was going to be like a Les Paul. Mahogany back, bookmatched walnut top. It camed in a little under nine pounds. Two humbuckers. So far so good. Ended up putting a hardtail strat style bridge and a 25.5 scale bolt on neck. And it isn't quite LP shaped.

This build I started out by wanting something like a thinline. Obviously didn't end up tele shaped. Add the floating jazz bridge with the piezo, and the set neck, and so much for building something like a thinline.

I also find it hard to decide to make something from scratch, and not make something up. That's part of the jot for me, creating something new.

I agree. So cool when they come outside and work with me. I hope they grow up realizing that there are so many things in this world that they can make or fix, if they just put there mind to it. I have a friend that had a broken door knob. Called a locksmith. Watched the guy tighten a couple of screws. That's it. The door was fixed. Too many people are like that. Don't even think about the fact that they could fix it themselves with a little bit of thought, and maybe a few minutes of googling / watching a youtube vid.

--hal

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.