Semantics??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by G.Rotten, Feb 20, 2020.

1. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

What does that word even mean in the real world?

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

There is always the truth to be found out there and then there is the comfortable truth people prefer to hear or to believe.

If you know the motivations of someone or of people, I agree, analysing the semantics of anything they say or do is pretty moot.

The lies are usually as clear as day. They are binary.

Honest Charley and Greggorios like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Do yo mean like build and assemble? ;)

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

sema.JPG

5. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Some of my best friends are words!

6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

As poorly as most people speak and comprehend, it might as well be 'some antics', 'some antiques'. With todays incomprehensible writing..."z3AA4^/71[5"

7. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

You know Bob, too?....small world, indeed!!
    Screenshot_20200220-065636~2.png

Bristlehound likes this.
  8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Lol. Awesome!!!!

Fretting out likes this.
  9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah.

With the advent of the smart phone, more recent generations of people are less likely to be functionally illiterate.

Functionally. Meanwhile the number of truly literate people is plunging, I think. Reading a book is less fun, I think, when there's so few people you can discuss that book with.

10. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

Example of semantics...

What does Gentleman mean?

We think a nice dude we like who does nice thing. Notice the vagueness of this. What does nice mean?

Real definition is a man who owns land, has a coat of arms, and has the legal right to wear a sword in public.

Semantics is the study of meaning, how it changes over time, how it differs in concept and reality.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Deepblankspace, JL_LI and TelenTubes like this.
  11. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

No, I think it refers to people hailing from the land of seman.

Fretting out likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

It is all in the emoji these days.:rolleyes:

Greggorios likes this.
  13. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Like so many things it depends on who's utilizing the word (in this case "semantics") and whether those participating in the discussion have a consensus on the meaning of that word.

For "semantics" it can be as simple as "you say potatoe, I say potato" as in "Oh that's just semantics!", implying that the speaker views 2 words to mean the same thing. But many times the persons understand a word's meaning differently, either correctly or not.

In a world of super charged communication that occurs at light speed the beautiful nuances and subtle differences in words and language are quickly evaporating. The result is the same as a high quality knife that has not been maintained properly. It gets dull, won't work as intended and ultimately becomes dangerous.

So...
    ...it depends on your definition of the word...:confused:;)

14. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What is the difference between a Hippo and a Zippo?

One is an animal that is very, very heavy, while the other is just a little lighter.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

TDPRI: a kind of symposium on semantics!

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

Technically the Potato Potatoe debate is a phonology debate not semantics.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

17. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Holic

Just check out your news feed if you want semantics. For example, voicing your disagreements with someone else are now commonly known as "attacks."

MickM, telemnemonics and willie like this.
  18. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

uriah1 likes this.
  19. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, of course you're right, poor example to use. The Potatoe thing is about pronunciation rather than meaning, context, usage or definition. Maybe a better one would be using the words "huge" and "very big" would have been better.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm one of those fools who tries to be SC (semantically correct) in day to day activities including to my insignificant regret using language that suits the listener.

Colloquial semantics are a special interest of mine, partly because growing up in Southern coastal Maine I had friends who for example bought a castle in France only to discover a wing of fifty more rooms than they realized; and of equal importance friends who grew and hunted their food or sold car parts out of the family junkyard.

However, my semantical training was informal and incomplete so I reckon I'm often semantically incorrect, and/ or I fall short in my semantimathematicalequations used to determine the exact degree of what is often "dumbing down" my language to suit the collective verbal skills of a room.

Here the specific context informs the relative importance, where in one context I spend a fair amount of time with recovering addicts and alcoholics who may have gotten much of their education in prison.
    Or whom associate much spoken word with abuse, shame and guilt.
    In addition to the less well known and very specific colloquialisms of convicts and the traumatized, whom often hear words as entirely different from the rest of society; I need to consider that the wrong words may indirectly result in the death of an individual who has walked into a room, filled with fear, the day before they die.

Even a carefully placed laugh can have a huge impact on an individual planning suicide.
    There is a structure that directs us to only share our experience rather than giving advice, but within that we must still choose which experience to share and how to frame it.

On internet forums there is I believe a fairly well established theoretical semantics system where firmly delivered information will potentially be better received if the language is tempered with some shall we say redneck colloquialization.
    Same with face to face in mixed company I suppose, or even performing music where we read the room and tailor our output to suit.
    Holding respect from others as most important to us will alienate many, while holding communication in mixed company as the higher goal we will likely get better results if we skip trying to sound smart and educated.
    OTOH trying to reach everyone can become a self indulgent exercise, and we can each decide whom our target recipients are.

Semantics is the set of tools that vary from job to job, and I sometimes find myself arguing with writers about it.
    Lots of fun in wordplay and social interaction.
    Simulated mutual respect is maybe a facet of semantics too, at an animal level where humanity lives but pretends different.

MickM likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.