Selling relics

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by psykobilly, Feb 23, 2019.

1. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Well at least there is that...

But seriously, the balls on that guy...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If it plays as good as it looks it will have a lot more wear on it than that in a few years time. :)

3. WetBandit

Very true lol...

My strat is already showing signs and I've only had it a year.

noah330 and Chunkocaster like this.
  4. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah i have also seen such things on ebay if it is the same ones a lot of people were bidding on them and paying like 3 times what a squier is worth for something that the tide washed up

WetBandit likes this.
  5. WetBandit

I did one of mine but it wasn't for a "relic" effect it was to match a theme...

20170806_191108.jpg

It's supposed to look like it survived atomic apocalypse.

Did it on a squier tele I got for $50

VWAmTele, stevemc, netgear69 and 2 others like this.
  6. Chunkocaster

A while back a guy was selling rustic looking tele bodies made from old pallets. They were painted up with Coke, Jack Daniels, Old Wine and cigar labels etc on them. They looked good. Something different. I think they were cheap too.

WetBandit likes this.
  7. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Relics are the ultimate in poseurocity & are typical of this "instant gratification" generation. What's worse, though, is the fact that guitar companies have so little respect for their customer base to think they are just a bunch of superficial,phony consumers that want these phony guitars. And the sad thing is...they are right!

8. Chunkocaster

And here I thought they were just another finish option.
    The thought of loosing any street cred to a guy with a relic guitar must be a scary prospect.
    God forbid he outplays anyone on the thing.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  9. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Well, the manufacturers have to give the people what they want. I remember people buying fake Top Gun jackets when I was a kid, so I guess it's not just this generation who wants this "phony" stuff. Actually I would bet it's a lot of boomers buying a lot of the relics.

My dad plays guitar. He has three guitars. 1 electric (old Tele) 1 acoustic (old J-45) that he bought in high school/college. He bought a 70s Guild D-55 in the 90s. That's it. He plays at home, doesn't read guitar forums and could probably only tell you his Tele was old when he got it in the 60s and he bought his J-45 because he wanted a guitar with a two piece back.

In the old days the guitar companies sold someone one or two guitars in their lifetime.

These days the average internet reading guitar player has what, 3, 5, 10 guitars? Now a lot of these people probably play a little bit every day or a couple hours a week or whatever. That's cool, but chances are they're not going to 'relic' those guitars anytime soon.

You can see pics from the 50s with guys playing Strats and Teles with worn down necks. I remember reading Clapton saying Blackie was already beat up when he got it.

Chunkocaster and WetBandit like this.
  10. WetBandit

Exactly lol!

Abuse is abuse no matter how you look at it or how it occurs.

I mean can someone assign intent to a cigarette burn? Nope.

But when the fender custom shop themselves tell people that beating up a guitar changes the sound.... that's where I abandon ship.

DHart, noah330 and Chunkocaster like this.
  11. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I remember when the relic craze was first starting. Some of the internet posts were gold! You would see a brand new Strat someone would hit with a bandsander and rust all the hardware.

I think people have gotten a lot better about it.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. Chunkocaster

When I first heard about it the roadworn strats had released. I wanted a nitro finished strat but the prices for custom shop were more than I could justify spending. It took me a while to think it over but I bought the Olympic white 60's roadworn strat. The frets and neck were good, rolled fretboard edges, it was nitro and looked cool. I just changed out the over reliced pickguard and played the thing. It was the only affordable nitro guitar available at the time. It still plays and looks great today although it's more cream looking now. I own poly guitars but they do feel toylike compared to a nitro finish and they look bad with jagged chunks taken out when damaged.

noah330 likes this.
  13. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Those Roadworn Strats actually played and sounded great. A friend of mine bought one and refinished it normal simply because it was the best sounding Strat he could afford.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. Dog Bite

Dog Bite TDPRI Member

I've had crappy lookin abused stuff most of my life. Because that's all I could afford. Sure as hell ain't payin extra to have nice lookin stuff word down artificially. Don't care what anyone else does.

stevemc, Chunkocaster and noah330 like this.
  15. PooTwang

PooTwang Tele-Meister

At this point in my life I am more of a relic than any of my guitars:D

Wallo Tweed and Chunkocaster like this.
  16. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

I thought it was so you could post pictures of it and list how many guitars and amps you own in your forum signature?

rangercaster likes this.
  17. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

This soooo much. :)

18. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Afflicted

i can appreciate the relics but,not for me.some look better than others.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

To my tastes, they're fine for a vintage replica. I can see the appeal of the aged look rather than factory fresh. Especially if you're trying to ape a famous guitar. I wouldn't relic any of the guitars I have currently, but if I was building a Micawber, I'd be dragging that thing across the floor and gently attacking it with screwdrivers.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I think this thread has somewhat strayed from the OP's concern, which is, how do you distinguish between the factory wear on a relic and the added play wear? And does the added play wear take away from the original condition of the guitar and make it worth less?

To me, it is kind of absurd when you think about it...and an absolutely legitimate question. Would some buyers of a used relic want it in, what would you call it, "mint relic" condition? (Hey, maybe I should trademark that phrase.) How would you prove the guitar was in "mint relic" condition...show before and after pictures of it?

I suppose ultimately you'd have to rely on the buyer's honesty in describing a used instrument; something like, "The guitar was mildly reliced with perfect frets when I bought it, and now has some added arm and fret wear and a few more dings along the edges..."

My biggest personal issue is with guitars that look obviously fake, like some of the Fender "Super Relic" guitars with wear patterns that I've NEVER seen on a guitar after more than 50 years of playing and looking at thousands of guitars. These kinds of guitars just scream, "fake!"

DHart, Jupiter and psykobilly like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.