Selling original 68 tele pickups...

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Bartholomew3, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Bought a new 68 tele that year and replaced both pickups in 1970 put them in a box in my basement.

Neck p/u needs a rewind is dead, probably why I replaced it back then with a humbucker, has full cloth-covered wire. Bridge p/u works well but cloth wires were cut when I put in a Dimarzio while on the road...wasn't going to buy a soldering iron for 2 wires.

Am using noiseless for recording and low volume work, will never use the originals again. Have seen them out there close to $1,000 asking price for the set.

Any idea what these old pickups are worth ? Best place to sell them - eBay ? here ? CL ?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Reverb.

3. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

A dead neck p/u and a bridge that has no wire- I doubt you'll get anywhere near what you're seeing on the web.
    I have a neck p/u off my '68 but it is microphonic as h*** - needs to be potted- I put new boutiques in my '68 and am happy with it.

TeleTex82 likes this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Those pickups have lost their vintage appeal to a serious buyer. Top dollar for such pickups comes only with original windings and original wires...full length. You could look at it this way.....as proven by 49 years in a box, the non-originality, and your avowal that you will never use them again these pickups are worthless to you. Anything you get for them is a plus. If someone would give me a couple of hundred for them, I would feel lucky...because I would have given much less...and profit is profit. If the neck p-up were rewound to spec and the bridge were retired with appropriate leads, maybe they are worth half of what the going price...not asking but given price...for a clean, all-original set.
    Her’s a thought, though. That neck pickup might not need rewinding. Sometimes a reflow of the solder connections will cure a dead pickup. If that were the case, things look better for selling them.
    Good luck with them.

Bartholomew3, radiocaster and Flaneur like this.
  5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If I were you, unless you need the money, I'd just put them in the case and keep them with the guitar, unless of course you don't still have the guitar or unless you are planning on being buried with it.

6. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

Unless you are engaged in a project where everything has to be period correct, buying old pickups of any kind would be a crap shot and huge risk in my opinion. Who knows what tone you would be getting. Today's boutique winders have these tones down to a science and would be happy to guide you in whatever direction you want. I have purchased a vast assortment of pickups from a variety of builders and have been happy with most of them. If you were to have those original pickups rewound by a reputable maker, that would be as close as you could probably get to the original tone. After that you would want to keep them I would suppose. In the condition they are in now, they are pretty much worthless in my opinion.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, if there are dates on the bottom, that is worth something.
    And......imho, today’s boutique winders have been learning what a few people like Seymour Duncan have known for....well...over 50 years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.