1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Selling off unused pedals isn't easy...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jonloder, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

Thank you for your response and insight, I appreciate it.

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  2. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I had a kid do this to me once ... sold him a mastotron fuzz ... he stomped on more than just the footswitch and pushed one of the knobs down onto the threads and wanted to return it as defective. I told him how it happened, how to fix it, and he wanted to swap it out for another fuzz I had for sale. I said sure, I'd refund the difference less $10 for my inconvenience and his lesson learned and sold the mastotron again for the original asking price after addressing the knob issue.

The worst are the people that would buy from me while they're on vacation ... then expect me to be able to meet them around their social calendar while they're in town or the next time they're in town etc ... then they get buyer's remorse immediately upon returning home

3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

My warranty on any used item is “Thirty Minutes or Thirty Miles, whichever comes first.”

4. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

I think it's interesting that you two are on opposite ends of the spectrum, boutique and cheap Chinese pedals, and it still works.
    Goes to show that as a seller we can't prejudge or presume to know what someone else might be looking for. If you list it with good pictures at a reasonable price it should sell...eventually.

audiopablo likes this.
  5. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The only pedal's I've bought used were from the Talkbass.com forum. They have a pretty severe "bad seller" policy (think grouchy old man and a baseball bat :p) -- so I have never had a problem with anything I've bought sight-unseen from there.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm sensing a new thread topic! Satan welcomes you to Hell, and hands you a guitar pedal. You look down and it's a _________.

4pickupguy and joe_cpwe like this.
  7. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I can't imagine trying to return something I bought on CL or Facebook. Make sure it works before you hand over the cash. After that, it's all yours.

tubegeek and Wallaby like this.
  8. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Pretty sure I can't comment on this thread...

9. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

When I sold pedals on eBay I have stated, "Please do not bid on any item that you are unfamiliar with. The sound of a guitar pedal is purely subjective, so please don't blame me if you don't like it. Contact me if you feel the item received is not as-advertised."

Only sold about 30 so far, but no troubles with any of my transactions.

Bluesbird and h2lifesaver like this.
  10. h2lifesaver

h2lifesaver TDPRI Member

I have bought and sold pedals over the past few years...probably 30 transactions on both sides of the deal. I’ve never had a single return nor have I initiated a return. Buying secondhand is AS-IS...I will only accept a return if it does not function as it should. I don’t sell junk, and I care for my gear. What I sell I have used, so I know it’s in good (or better) condition. I have only received good or better condition as well. I have only ever received 5-star seller reviews. And, I only sell on Reverb and eBay. Sold 1 pedal on Craigslist, and it was fine. No returns. Caveat emptor. Folks can resell what they don’t want just like you. I for one would rather buy a used pedal to try it out on my board (Even if I find I don’t like it and have to resell it) than go to a GC or SA and demo the pedal with gear that’s not mine. As such I have resold pedals that just didnt work out for me.

11. RoadShow

RoadShow TDPRI Member

I've bought several pedals, amps, & guitars looking for the ones that really do it for me. The ones that don't I don't complain about, just sell them somewhere like Reverb. I also list at the lower end of value to move it so I can move on. If a comparable pedal is going for $70 I'll put mine up for $60 so it can go from out of sight to out of mind. Life's too short...

12. Theiglupickin

Theiglupickin TDPRI Member

There are those that buy up stuff just to try it at your expense then want their money back! Reverb.com now has a "non-returnable unless not as described" option which hopefully addresses these flippers! I've had pretty good luck selling a bunch of vintage pedals I no long used and those that got them know what they are and what to expect. Inexperienced buyers are another thing that has its risks but I've sold on E_Bay, Reverb and FB Marketplace with no issues and I make it clear what the item is, its condition and no returns. I had one bad experience with a very nice, virtually new guitar I was selling for friend to someone that claimed the neck buzzed in one spot (after he changed string gauges and setup!!)that I reluctantly took back. I had it checked out by a pro repair person who indicated nothing wrong with it. I did sell it later to a totally satisfied customer. The point is, there are those that play it and will buy 4 items all at once, pick the one they want and return the rest to the sellers remorse! PITA for sure!

13. rhodesworks

rhodesworks TDPRI Member

I always have the buyer try whatever upon pickup then its strictly no returns.

14. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

You may, in fact, be a responsible adult. Wear it proudly!

15. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I will sell used pedals locally only. I sold one on REVERB, and by the time I got it back, I swear it had been cannibalized by the "purchaser", and obviously I lost most money on it. Another choice I made was rather have some knucklehead low ball me on items I was selling, I started giving them to people who needed and deserved them. If you can afford to give gear away, pay it forward.

16. brashboy

brashboy Tele-Meister

Ditto -- I'm about 1 for 5 on used pedals.

Dismalhead likes this.
  17. brashboy

brashboy Tele-Meister

I don't consider FB marketplace a very good place to find good gear at a decent price, or a good market. Same goes for Offerup and others. They sell better on Reverb or ebay. Also, no returns unless they are not working or SNAD (significantly not as described).

18. JazzFusionGuy

JazzFusionGuy TDPRI Member

I understand what you're dealing with here. Fortunately I have had no returns. But many buyers tried to offer me next to nothing on pedals. I just held firm and eventually they sold.

I unloaded a ton of pedals, other gear and some nice collectible instruments. Some buyers drove from places several hours away for guitars. 80% sold locally via Craigslist, 5% via Offerup and the other 15% via Ebay. The only "dead pedal" complaint was from an Ebay sale. I had to refund all the buyer's money w/o question. The pedals I sold were all in working order and I usually got all I had in them and sometimes more. Only a few were originally bought new. I still have three pedals left for sale and they still aren't moving even shaving up to $50 off. Two of them are new in the box. Buyer's mentality is hard to figure out. That supposedly "dead pedal" sold within 20 minutes of it going live on Ebay while new ones just sit there.

Here's what I have left:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=124259158393

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=124259159290

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/d/wake-forest-vox-tonelab-se-valvetronix/7162840488.html

19. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I have bought and sold over 100 pedals on Reverb. Never had a return and only had one that died on me (a few months after I bought it). Some pedals resell for very close to retail. For them I tend to buy new. Everything else has been used. Buyers pay shipping, I always mark up just enough to cover my fees, and I never got ripped off by sellers on Reverb. I save the old shipping materials. When I get an order it takes five minutes to pack, label and put the pedal in my mailbox for the postman to pick up. So easy, any I get to play all those great pedals then trade up when I see something I like better.

MarkSieber likes this.
  20. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Metal Zone.
    All the pedals in that situation that would be Metal Zones.

Edit:
    Worse yet, two Metal Zones, one plugged into another and the knobs are all dimed and superglued in place.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.