Selling my '73 Tele - is this a mistake?

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
Another vote for sell it out right or keep it but don't trade it in on modern stuff unless you find that custom shop model you really want...you gotta figure there's a reason that shop wants to do the deal...now trading it on a vintage princeton reverb and maybe a nice American tele I might consider that

Peteurre

TDPRI Member
Another vote for sell it out right or keep it but don't trade it in on modern stuff unless you find that custom shop model you really want...you gotta figure there's a reason that shop wants to do the deal...now trading it on a vintage princeton reverb and maybe a nice American tele I might consider that
I think you are absolutely right

Singin' Dave

Friend of Leo's
I'll add to the "sell it to an individual, then go shopping" vote. Do your research, determine a "retail" value on the '73 Tele and list it where it makes sense in your market. With some patience, I would expect you to receive an additional $1K at minimum additional return vs. what a shop would offer as they need to clear at least 30% when they re-list it.

In the interim while you await that buyer who will meet your "lowest I'll accept" price, have fun with playing as many other guitars as you can - try before you buy! Amps too. Plan a nice night out with your wife with the extra proceeds vs. off-loading to your local store.

With an asset like your vintage Telecaster in a tight market like Denmark, I would expect you to do very well, again with patience and a positive "enjoy the ride" attitude. If, however, you just don't think the time to sell in open market is worth the $$, then you always have the option of working with the store (or another store - I'd have a few folks value that guitar for you in addition to online research and appraisals). But I'd try to find that right individual buyer who will love and cherish it first.

HootOwlDude

Tele-Meister
My friend, since your guitar makes my heart ache just looking at it, I’d say no. Don’t do it. Find another way to finance the Princeton. Better yet, if you have the cabbage to get the Princeton, just get it and then reassess. I see some valuable pedals and other important-looking, vintagey crap in your pics. Maybe something else, if needed, could go. That guitar is so cool. So again—no, no, NO!

Mindthebull

Tele-Meister
I wouldn’t sell that guitar to buy that amp, both as a matter of personal preference but also as a gear investment decision. At least not now. First of all that guitar is worth a lot and in this inflationary market it’s probably going up in value not down. If you want a tele anyways why not keep it and find another way to finance the amp. In a few years if you still decide to sell the guitar it will be worth more. Perhaps a lot more. I suspect the amp you will get tired of and or may want to replace it sooner. And that’s not hard to do. Modern production line amps are like new cars - expensive off the lot and depreciate immediately. Princeton 68 custom is a not great amp anyways in my opinion - overpriced modern production line amp, early breakup but sounds like mud to me. No clean head room and the breakup was a one trick pony. If you really want to check it out borrow or rent first. I returned mine after a week and then I spent less to have a local builder put together a custom built 6g3 deluxe single channel amp for me that sounds beautiful and got a 61 Jensen speaker thrown in.

Peteurre

TDPRI Member
Thanks for all the great replies fellas - here's an update:

I didn't sell the guitar!
Reading all your posts, talking to the collector who sold me the guitar back in 2007, and the shop that wanted to do the trade, it just made the whole thing very "real". Can I live without this guitar? The answer is probably "yes", but taking it to my friends studio during these past weeks as my main guitar, and just having it on display in the livingroom for a few weeks made me realise that I don't want to live without it. I might pick up another Tele, with a neckshape more like my '56 strat (relic) at some point, but there's just too much "mojo" (for a lack of a better term) in this almost-50-year-old guitar to let it go. I feel kinda relieved :)

In the amp-department however, decisions were made at 1.00am, after a couple of beers ;-) After watching like a million YouTube video-reviews, and reading a trillion forum-posts about so many diffent amps, from the different Princetons, Vox'es and what not, I ended up ordering a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb (the blonde one). Not really sure how I feel about putting down my vintage Tele to upgrade the firmware of my non-tube amp, but so far I'm liking the sounds I'm getting, the weight, and especially the attenuator. Can't wait to bring it to the studio and gigs.
Now the new question is: should I keep or sell my handwired, NOS-fitted Tweed Deluxe clone? but I guess that's another thread :)

Attachments

• 44A01A88-521E-4672-8640-F2A82AD69C11.JPG
    44A01A88-521E-4672-8640-F2A82AD69C11.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 17

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Thanks for all the great replies fellas - here's an update:

I didn't sell the guitar!
Reading all your posts, talking to the collector who sold me the guitar back in 2007, and the shop that wanted to do the trade, it just made the whole thing very "real". Can I live without this guitar? The answer is probably "yes", but taking it to my friends studio during these past weeks as my main guitar, and just having it on display in the livingroom for a few weeks made me realise that I don't want to live without it. I might pick up another Tele, with a neckshape more like my '56 strat (relic) at some point, but there's just too much "mojo" (for a lack of a better term) in this almost-50-year-old guitar to let it go. I feel kinda relieved :)

In the amp-department however, decisions were made at 1.00am, after a couple of beers ;-) After watching like a million YouTube video-reviews, and reading a trillion forum-posts about so many diffent amps, from the different Princetons, Vox'es and what not, I ended up ordering a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb (the blonde one). Not really sure how I feel about putting down my vintage Tele to upgrade the firmware of my non-tube amp, but so far I'm liking the sounds I'm getting, the weight, and especially the attenuator. Can't wait to bring it to the studio and gigs.
Now the new question is: should I keep or sell my handwired, NOS-fitted Tweed Deluxe clone? but I guess that's another thread :)
Good for you for giving the tone master a shot!

I love my tone master twin

If you think about it as it’s own thing and not a perfect replica of a tube amp you should be content

Let us know how you like it when you get it dialed in

Peteurre

TDPRI Member
Good for you for giving the tone master a shot!

I love my tone master twin

If you think about it as it’s own thing and not a perfect replica of a tube amp you should be content
You are right. I really think that Fender made these Tone Master amp with guys like me in mind. I would not consider myself a tube-snob (I only ever owned a Hot Rod Deluxe, a Blues Jr., a small made in China Fender Champ 600 from a few years ago, and my Tweed Deluxe clone), but just like I love books, actual books and not e-books, I have a hard time getting rid of my 500+ CDs, just because it feels wrong to surrender myself to just streaming music and not have the CD cover in my hands - I could never be attracted to an amp that didn't look like a real amp! So making an amp that looks just like the real deal and sound great, made it easier to come to terms with the whole modeling thing.

d barham

Tele-Afflicted
I’ve only ever played a Tonemaster Deluxe in the store. I was favorably impressed. There are haters of course, But I think they sound great. The white tolex is super sharp too. Congratulations.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I probably said something on this thread already, but “Launch that pig” came to mind when I read the 1st post.