Selling my '73 Tele - is this a mistake?

slack

Friend of Leo's
Do a little research on Reverb and see what similar guitars are selling for (and what they're asking for) these days.

Except that you can't. If you filter for sold listings on Reverb (or eBay), you are not shown the selling price but the last BIN asking price for that listing. If the seller accepted an offer, and sold it for less than the listing price, the actual selling price is not shown.

drewg

Tele-Afflicted
Reverb asking prices are often too high though.
Agreed. I look at the "Sold Items" first. But that's over a period of time, so I also look at what people are currently trying to get. Prices do seem to be going up last I checked, but I agree, some asking prices are absurd!

By checking both, at least it gives you a ballpark idea of what your instrument's value should be.

drewg

Tele-Afflicted
Except that you can't. If you filter for sold listings on Reverb (or eBay), you are not shown the selling price but the last BIN asking price for that listing. If the seller accepted an offer, and sold it for less than the listing price, the actual selling price is not shown.

Good point. But it does say "offer accepted" so you know it went for less. And some sellers don't accept offers, so the selling price is often accurate. I'm just looking for a ballpark idea of value. The selling prices of very similar items can vary greatly, but any case it provides perspective...

EsquireOK

Poster Extraordinaire
"Stock except" makes sense, but not "ALL stock except." If there's an exception, then it isn't ALL stock.

Serious potential buyers (like myself) pay attention to stuff like that. It's a major rub the wrong way, and would definitely affect the "vibe" I would pick up from your description, making me less likely to want to to send you a bunch of money.

slack

Friend of Leo's
Good point. But it does say "offer accepted" so you know it went for less. And some sellers don't accept offers, so the selling price is often accurate. I'm just looking for a ballpark idea of value. The selling prices of very similar items can vary greatly, but any case it provides perspective...

I thought about mentioning that, but I believe it applies to eBay not Reverb (and eBay changes things often).

Regarding asking prices on sites being so high... Keep in mind that effective this year, basically all persons selling anything online via those sites, or elsewhere using managed payment services like PayPal, essentially became businesses to the IRS. If you sell a guitar on Reverb for, say, $3000 plus $100 shipping, you're not just going to pay Reverb's fees for that sale, Reverb is going to report your sale to the IRS and you're going to get a 1099-K for $3100 in income. So, there's that. And that's another topic.

Peteurre

TDPRI Member
"Stock except" makes sense, but not "ALL stock except." If there's an exception, then it isn't ALL stock.

Serious potential buyers (like myself) pay attention to stuff like that. It's a major rub the wrong way, and would definitely affect the "vibe" I would pick up from your description, making me less likely to want to to send you a bunch of money.
I never thought about that. But is "all stock" really that important when it comes to frets? I mean, the guitar is almost 50 years old - if it's the original frets with no wear, I'm guessing the guitar wasn't good enough to be played. If it has had a refret, and the frets are in good condition, I would consider this a plus. But then again, I'm not a collector. But maybe you are only referring to my choice of words, and not whether or not the frets have been changed?

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Hello Tele-slingers!

So, for the first time ever I'm actually considering selling a guitar to fund something else. Usually I've been getting rid of gear, because I did an upgrade so to speak: selling a Korean Strat coz I got an Am. Std., selling that same Am. Std. because I got a Custom Shop '56 Strat, selling the Hot Rod Deluxe amp, because I bought a Tweed Deluxe, and so on.

Now I'm gas'ing for a Princeton Amp (probably the 68 custom), and I kinda feel that I should get rid of something to fund that purchase, and the wife won't let me sell one of the kids.
I have had a 1973 Telecaster (blonde, rw neck) since 2007, and since it's my first and only Tele, I couldn't really compare it to much other than my Strats, and although I've played the Tele a lot, it will never be my number one, as I simply love my 56 CS Strat to much (Sorry, I will show myself out of the Tele-forum after this post...), mainly because I really love the v-shaped neck of the '56. So in fact, for all these years I've had the '73 Tele, it's always been in the back of my head, that maybe one day I'd swap it for a good used Custom Shop Tele/Nocaster, and get a neck that's closer to the one on my Strat, and maybe even with some money coming my way.

So at the moment I'm considering doing a deal with a local guitar shop on a new Princeton Reverb and another Tele, in exchange for my '73. I've got my eyes on the JV modified 50's Tele, because it has a vintage vibe, and more importantly, the v-shaped neck. Haven't tried it yet, though.

I originally got the '73 as a "I want a Tele, and I want to dip my toes in the vintage world"-thing, and paid as much as the price of a Custom Shop. But I can't say that I ever really bonded with the guitar in the same way as I'm hoping I could do with a different tele, with a v-neck.

Sorry for rambling, my question is: I have no idea what is happening in the market for vintage guitars, specifically 70s teles at the moment, but would it be a bad move to get rid of a 70s Tele, and swap it with a new amp and a new japanese made Tele? I'll admit that I'm only really considering this, because I want to get another amp, without spending money, but as I mentioned, the thought of getting a Tele that might feel even better is intriguing. To me a 70s Tele, even though considered at this point to be "vintage", it doesn't strike me as "retirement-savings"-guitar, but I might be wrong?

The '73 Tele is all stock, except for a brilliantly done refret, great overall condition, with the expected wear on the body after almost 50 years. Weighs in at 3,8 kg./8,37lbs

Feel free to try and talk me out of it!

Thanks in advance,
Pete
Your Tele is worth a crapload more than a new PR and JV Tele. Sell it. I just got $Au7500 or about $US5500 for a 73 Deluxe and Pro Reverb and the Pro like all bigger Fenders is maybe $1000 of that.

You should be able to get a Silverface PR and a new US tele for those dollars

Reverb says a blonde 73 is $US2000-4000. Yours looks high end to me.

Peteurre

TDPRI Member
Wow, thanks for all your insightful answers! For those of you who question the value of the Princeton + for instance a MIJ JV. modified 50s Tele as a swap for the '73 Tele, this is not what the shop has offered me. It's just me considering a new Tele as a replacement for my '73, trying to get some vintage specs, but with a v-neck. As of yet I don't know how much the shop will offer me, as they have only seen a few pics of the guitar and have replied "Wow, lovely guitar, we would love to do a trade, but we need to see it in person, to set the value". So, of course I'm hoping to be offered enough for me to take home the Princeton Reverb, and a Tele of my choice, be it Japanese made, American made, Mexican made, CS, and hopefully with some cash in my pockets :)
I've never done a trade-in with a shop in all my years of playing and buying, so I'm not really sure just how much I will "loose" on the deal, compared to selling it on Reverb, (or our danish version of that), and just go to the shop afterwards and buy the stuff I want.

Can anyone give any insight as to how the market is for 70s Teles at the moment? As I mentioned, I bought it in 2007, for 26.500 DKK, which is around 3500 euro, 3800 usd, 3000 GBP, about the same price (in Denmark) of a new Custom Shop (team-build, NOT Masterbuild). I know 2008 was bad, and I know prices of oil, gas and what not is going up (at least in Denmark) at the moment, but I really have no idea if the Teles from the 70s have plateaued, gone down, or are rising. I know it's worth only as much as someone will pay, but I wonder if they are at all attractive to players/buyers. I seem to recall having heard that once upon a time pre-CBS Strats were being handed out for a few hundred bucks... Blackie anyone? ;-)

Peteurre

TDPRI Member
The guitar I have got my eyes on is this:

Fenders website says 1300 usd, but in Denmark its really 1650usd. And again, I'm not saying that I will accept a clean swap for a Princeton 68 (the new one) and the JV Tele, especially if the general consensus is, that the '73 is worth more. But money in my pockets for more pedals is also great :)

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
These prices are in Australian dollars but yours looks 'excellent' to me. 1970-75 Tele.
Screenshot_20220423-193639.png

I would say $US4-5k is a realistic sales price and a dealer would be looking +20%

Peteurre

TDPRI Member
These prices are in Australian dollars but yours looks 'excellent' to me. 1970-75 Tele.

I would say $US4-5k is a realistic sales price and a dealer would be looking +20%
Don't know how to grade the condition of the guitar, but it surely isn't mint :) The is one small cosmetic issue though, that might be a problem. When I got it back in 2007 i stuck a water slide decal of a pinup on the guitar. Recently I rubbed it off with a damp cloth, but the sticker is still somewhat visible. Maybe there are better ways to remove it. The guitar was never kept in direct sun, so I think what you can still see of the decal is leftover adhesive or simply the lacquer absorbing (maybe beyond repair) some color or residue. Its not that prominent, you kinda have to know it's there, but it could have an effect on the value.

Attachments

• tempImageYg4ypy.png
    tempImageYg4ypy.png
    964.4 KB · Views: 49
  • tempImageg6fxi5.png
    tempImageg6fxi5.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 47

Peteurre

TDPRI Member
You have succeeded in doing something I was never able to do: Get a 70s Telecaster of any variety (standard, custom, Deluxe) with a rosewood neck.

I will get you that guitar and amp you want and throw in some Euro for your Tele. The problem is that the UK being out of the EU has mucked up shipping matters :(. I've always wanted to visit DM though.....
Funny, I was under the impression that maple necks would be the more popular option. I really prefer maple necks myself, but the only blonde 73 with a maple neck I could find at the time of purchase was way more expensive (in a shop. I bought mine from a private collector, at a more reasonable price). But I actually think that the odd orange tint of the finish on the headstock actually looks better with a rosewood neck. I've seen 70s strats and teles with all bright maple necks, but completely dark, orange head stocks. I'm not too crazy about that

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
Not sure why no-one else has picked up on how unreasonable your wife is being...:)

That aside - I'm in the "sell it if you don't love it" camp. Ten years from now, maybe you'll see prices of them and wish you hadn't, or maybe you'll see prices of them and be relieved you did, but that's not really why we have them, is it?

I've thinned out the herd a couple of times now when I've reluctantly accepted that guitars I was really excited about buying just don't really inspire me, and therefore never get played. Makes more sense, then, for them to go to someone who might appreciate them more, and for me to get something else.

I wish you were closer, though - I'd come and have a look at that Tele!

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Your Tele is worth a crapload more than a new PR and JV Tele. Sell it. I just got $Au7500 or about $US5500 for a 73 Deluxe and Pro Reverb and the Pro like all bigger Fenders is maybe $1000 of that.

You should be able to get a Silverface PR and a new US tele for those dollars

Reverb says a blonde 73 is $US2000-4000. Yours looks high end to me.
That’s a big range. Even assuming that’s true, a shop is going to offer what, 60% of wherever it lands in that range? Maybe 70% if they really want it?

OP - move it on for sure. You don’t love it. Do the amount of diligence that is right for you. Take it to several shops. Get it appraised. Research eBay and Reverb sales. Or just take what the first shop offers. That guitar is only special to you if it is special to you. Which it clearly isn’t.

The JV Modified are MIJ. Not sure what the other poster was talking about MIA? And they are fantastic guitars with the best necks I’ve played. Strats and Teles. Are you sure you actually want another Tele though? Sounds like you don’t favors them. No harm there. I don’t. And I wasted a lot of money and time buying them convinced that I should.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I guess I’m stuck in time when 70s Fender guitars were considered crap and avoided as much as possible. So for me, if you never bonded with it, get rid of it and replace it with something you like more.

Don’t sweat maximizing the selling price (there’s always someone on a forum who will say they could have gotten more for it — it’s like fishing stories). Just concentrate on replacing the space where that unloved Tele lived with another guitar the you love (be it a Harley Benton or a Custom Shop). Life’s too short.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Reverb asking prices are often too high though.

You can also see completed transaction prices there (and on EBay) for a more realistic idea of pricing. As someone else noted, new tax regs make it unattractive for the seller to not correctly report an accepted discounted offer.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Don't know how to grade the condition of the guitar, but it surely isn't mint :) The is one small cosmetic issue though, that might be a problem. When I got it back in 2007 i stuck a water slide decal of a pinup on the guitar. Recently I rubbed it off with a damp cloth, but the sticker is still somewhat visible. Maybe there are better ways to remove it. The guitar was never kept in direct sun, so I think what you can still see of the decal is leftover adhesive or simply the lacquer absorbing (maybe beyond repair) some color or residue. Its not that prominent, you kinda have to know it's there, but it could have an effect on the value.
For 50 years old custom colour plus rosewood neck (I can't see any grain so I'm saying Olympic White) I'd call yours excellent.

Is it standard, or refretted? A quality refret won't kill value but a poor one will.

I wouldn't be making excuses or talking your guitar down. As long as it's playable and not 10lb+.

knavel

Tele-Holic
Funny, I was under the impression that maple necks would be the more popular option. I really prefer maple necks myself, but the only blonde 73 with a maple neck I could find at the time of purchase was way more expensive (in a shop. I bought mine from a private collector, at a more reasonable price). But I actually think that the odd orange tint of the finish on the headstock actually looks better with a rosewood neck. I've seen 70s strats and teles with all bright maple necks, but completely dark, orange head stocks. I'm not too crazy about that
I think the reason the headstocks colour differently than the wood on the necks is because when Fender changed its finishing standards from nitro to poly in the late 1960s, the decals on the front of the headstock didn't apparently adhere well to the poly. So Fender always continued to put nitro on the front of the headstocks only, even in the 70s. Hence the different aging patina (orange) on the front of the headstocks.

The reason I don't like maple on 70s Fenders as much as rosewood is because of that thick poly not just on the back of the neck but the fretboard. I can live with it quite fine and my 71 Strat, 75 Tele Custom and 76 Tele sound as good as the 50s Fenders my brother and I have to me at least and I was lucky enough to get all fairly light ones. Even my ash bodied natural Tele Custom is a hair lighter than your 73.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Put me in the "DO NOT SELL IT!" camp.

I bought some nice gear back in the late 80's, including a very nice '73 Strat and a '73 Princeton Reverb. I sold the Strat in 1992 for $250 and I've regretted selling it ever since. Fortunately, I didn't find a buyer for the SFPR at the time so I still have it.