Selling my '73 Tele - is this a mistake?

Peteurre

TDPRI Member
Hello Tele-slingers!

So, for the first time ever I'm actually considering selling a guitar to fund something else. Usually I've been getting rid of gear, because I did an upgrade so to speak: selling a Korean Strat coz I got an Am. Std., selling that same Am. Std. because I got a Custom Shop '56 Strat, selling the Hot Rod Deluxe amp, because I bought a Tweed Deluxe, and so on.

Now I'm gas'ing for a Princeton Amp (probably the 68 custom), and I kinda feel that I should get rid of something to fund that purchase, and the wife won't let me sell one of the kids.
I have had a 1973 Telecaster (blonde, rw neck) since 2007, and since it's my first and only Tele, I couldn't really compare it to much other than my Strats, and although I've played the Tele a lot, it will never be my number one, as I simply love my 56 CS Strat to much (Sorry, I will show myself out of the Tele-forum after this post...), mainly because I really love the v-shaped neck of the '56. So in fact, for all these years I've had the '73 Tele, it's always been in the back of my head, that maybe one day I'd swap it for a good used Custom Shop Tele/Nocaster, and get a neck that's closer to the one on my Strat, and maybe even with some money coming my way.

So at the moment I'm considering doing a deal with a local guitar shop on a new Princeton Reverb and another Tele, in exchange for my '73. I've got my eyes on the JV modified 50's Tele, because it has a vintage vibe, and more importantly, the v-shaped neck. Haven't tried it yet, though.

I originally got the '73 as a "I want a Tele, and I want to dip my toes in the vintage world"-thing, and paid as much as the price of a Custom Shop. But I can't say that I ever really bonded with the guitar in the same way as I'm hoping I could do with a different tele, with a v-neck.

Sorry for rambling, my question is: I have no idea what is happening in the market for vintage guitars, specifically 70s teles at the moment, but would it be a bad move to get rid of a 70s Tele, and swap it with a new amp and a new japanese made Tele? I'll admit that I'm only really considering this, because I want to get another amp, without spending money, but as I mentioned, the thought of getting a Tele that might feel even better is intriguing. To me a 70s Tele, even though considered at this point to be "vintage", it doesn't strike me as "retirement-savings"-guitar, but I might be wrong?

The '73 Tele is all stock, except for a brilliantly done refret, great overall condition, with the expected wear on the body after almost 50 years. Weighs in at 3,8 kg./8,37lbs

Feel free to try and talk me out of it!

Thanks in advance,
Pete

Attachments

• IMG_6012.jpg
    IMG_6012.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_5682.jpg
    IMG_5682.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
When I got back into guitar ~six years ago, the first thing I did was take my '74 Les Paul Deluxe to have it assessed and appraised. When I learned it was worth more than the car I was driving at that time, I decided then and there to sell it. This surprised me, because I thought I'd have more sentimental attachment to the guitar I played through much of my teen and college years. But that guitar funded other bouts of GAS for several years. It was the right move for me.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Chance you might regret it on the investment side...but player wise, if you get a V-neck tele instead of that 70s thing and a PR out of it, that’s a lot more useful. At least in my eyes/taste.

Maybe look at how 70s fenders are appreciating? My BF bassman (66) has only appreciated about 5-600 dollars in the recent craze. OTOH my friend’s 69 tele he got like 5 years ago for 5-6 is now like 10 (yeah it’s absolutely ridiculous).

There is gonna be a moment where these things plateau. I’m personally trying to get rid of my vintage or rare stuff now because the market is biting, and I’m a player, not a collector. Long before news talk I felt like a recession was coming. And IME the last one (2008) was pretty crappy for dumping gear. I still have stuff I was trying to get rid of then, that would fund more appropriate gear.

So you might hedge your bets and not get stuck holding the bag, if a good playing experience is the primary concern. I can’t really advise investment wise.

Last edited:

0SubSeanik0

Tele-Meister
Feel free to try and talk me out of it!

The thing is, if you sell it that means somebody will have bought it... and that person will be through the roof excited and thrilled (and hopefully post more pics of it here). You will also be able to buy the gear you've been dreaming of. Win-win-win. Spread the joy (and find more of your own)!

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
Worth trying out all the options before you commit to selling it.

I nearly went ahead with trading my Gibson CS 336 for a Gibson Johnny A Signature. Ended up paying for the Johnny A outright to keep both as the neck tone on the CS 336 is just perfect to my ear. The Johnny A is just a rare guitar and I love it's alnico 3 custombuckers for the chimeness.

I have sold 3 perfectly good guitars, one (my avatar guitar) was my first tele and I put a lot of time into it to make it unique and playable after years of neglect. Do I regret it? No as I usually ended up buying higher end equipment and have got to where I am now not needing to buy more guitars ever again.

I would trade all of my guitars for a perfect 1950s Telecaster though.

Piggy Stu

Poster Extraordinaire
I think there are a few questions here

I think if you don't love it sell it

I think the other question is whether this will be worth billions in the future and you missed out. No one will truly know that. Inflation is increasing asset prices, yes, but will a guitar appreciate in price as much as another investment? As per above, has it reached the roof?

I think the best way to deal with guitars is keep what moves your heart. If I was doing it as investments I would buy the quality stuff that is undervalued

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Get a good aftermarket neck with the same profile as your Strat. Lots of companies make them. If you want to sell it later at a good profit replace the neck with the original and you're golden. With a differen't neck the Tele might be #1!
If you do your own work, try the strat neck on the Tele and see how you like it.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I would try another store and get it appraised. It doesn't sound to me like you are getting that good of a deal.

Personally, I have regretted selling every vintage iinstrument I have sold. Will I live, yes. But I love vintage instruments.

I think if you have to ask, you should keep it and save for the amp - perhaps a good used one. Or a vintage one!!

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
Never mind the amp. Trade the guitar you don't bond with for one you love, either as a direct trade or by selling one and buying the other. Only buy the amp, or another amp you like, if there's money left over. You won't find it that hard to afford a Princeton if you really want one.

There's only one reason to keep a guitar you don't bond with, and that's that it's worth too little to justify the hassle of selling it. In that case, you should probably donate it to a youth music program.

I've sold a ton of guitars and only really regret selling one, a 1978 Gibson ES-175CC with a Charlie Christian pickup. I never gave any of the others a second thought. Well, maybe my 1967 Gretsch Nashville, but in retrospect it wasn't that great. I just had a sentimental attachment to it.

Last edited:

derekwarner

Tele-Meister
Pete.......the JV Tele 50's style [Japanese Vintage] you mention, is this the new range from Fender?........the sales blurb suggests they are not MIJ, but are lower cost MIA production & about 1/2 the cost of a CS machine

I have praised & considered a number of 70's MIJ instruments I had the pleasure of briefly using and considered them as super instruments, however a 2022 low cost JV style MIA production scares me

Somewhere down the track, you may regret selling that 73 instrument

[Please correct me if I mis-understood the place of origin/manufacture of these JV 50's style Teles]

Derek

Last edited:

knavel

Tele-Holic
You have succeeded in doing something I was never able to do: Get a 70s Telecaster of any variety (standard, custom, Deluxe) with a rosewood neck.

I will get you that guitar and amp you want and throw in some Euro for your Tele. The problem is that the UK being out of the EU has mucked up shipping matters :(. I've always wanted to visit DM though.....

drewg

Tele-Afflicted
If you're not bonding with it, it's not wrong to sell it. Just make sure you get what it's worth. Do a little research on Reverb and see what similar guitars are selling for (and what they're asking for) these days. I suspect you're not getting back enough value for that swap.

That's a desirable guitar!