selling gear on EBay

lespaul74

TDPRI Member
Anyone have luck selling gear on EBay or is Reverb.com better? Same fees I think. Hear a lot of horror stories about Ebay buyers. Is Reverb better?

Mr. Lumbergh

Poster Extraordinaire
I've only sold a couple guitars on eBait and none on Reverb. Didn't have a problem with the guitars; the only problem I ever had with eBait was a dispute I had in which I was the buyer. They sided with the seller and I was out $70, by this was for an auto part, nothing music-related.

lespaul74

TDPRI Member
I've only sold a couple guitars on eBait and none on Reverb. Didn't have a problem with the guitars; the only problem I ever had with eBait was a dispute I had in which I was the buyer. They sided with the seller and I was out $70, by this was for an auto part, nothing music-related.

My friend sold a Boss delay pedal on Ebay few years ago, and guy returned it claiming it was defective. It wasn't of course, buyer just didn't like the sound I guess and used that has an excuse to send it back. Sad.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have only sold 2 items on Ebay
a set of Stones tickets
and a Jackson Charvell surfcaster
both went smooth as silk no issues and got glowing reviews

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
We have bought and sold over 100 things on eBay including pedals, guitars, pickups, guitar body with no issues that could not be easily resolved. We have purchased plenty of gear on reverb too with no issues. The strategy for us is to take into account the ratings and number of items bought and sold by people that you are dealing with.

mnutz

Tele-Afflicted
I hear a lot of horror stories about eBay, so maybe I'm the exception, but I've been selling there for 10 years and never had any problems.

I've shipped guitars all over the U.S. and England and Australia. I always ship USPS Priority, and I pack the guitars myself and do it very safely securely.

The closest thing to a problem I ever had was one guy left me neutral feedback because he bought something that I clearly described as damaged, then told me that yeah he knew it was damaged but what's positive about buying something damaged? I explained to him that's not how feedback works and he changed his feedback to positive.

Another time I sold 2 guitars at the same time and somehow managed to swap the labels around and they got shipped to the wrong buyers. Both buyers were super cool about it and shipped the guitars to each other. I reimbursed them for the shipping and everyone was super happy. That could've been a total disaster!

I have had people (and this is absolutely always and without fail, buyers with zero feedback) win an auction and then just not pay and not respond to my messages. Now I keep a close eye on bidders and if I see a zero feedback bidder I contact them immediately and tell them nicely the rules of eBay, and that they need to contact me and reassure me that they will pay. If I don't here from them immediately then I cancel their bid and block them.

Other than that, no problems for me. I've never dealt with Reverb.

Huddy

Tele-Holic
Another time I sold 2 guitars at the same time and somehow managed to swap the labels around and they got shipped to the wrong buyers. Both buyers were super cool about it and shipped the guitars to each other. I reimbursed them for the shipping and everyone was super happy. That could've been a total disaster!

That's hilarious only because I've come very close to doing the exact same thing on more than one occasion.

To the OP. Reverb charges 3.5% while eBay charges 10% (private sellers). I always list my stuff on both.

Be honest, forthcoming and have lots of clear pictures and you won't have any issues.

Good luck!

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
That's hilarious only because I've come very close to doing the exact same thing on more than one occasion.

To the OP. Reverb charges 3.5% while eBay charges 10% (private sellers). I always list my stuff on both.

Be honest, forthcoming and have lots of clear pictures and you won't have any issues.

Good luck!
Yup, Huddy brings up a good point. When selling, you need to be honest and expose absolutely anything that is of the slightest difference from new. Even if you think it is fine, reveal it with full descriptions and good pics. You basically want the buyer to be more than happy about their purchase. Also, have your item ready to ship when you post your ad, so that you can ship immediately after payment.

ronzhd

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I buy and sell on both and have never had issues, if I see any red flags, I do more research. Be an informed buyer and seller and you will be ok. IMHO

boredguy6060

Poster Extraordinaire
I have about 250 transactions on eBay with only one dispute, I won that.
I have 100% because I always pay as soon as I win, just like a store.
People who win an item, then don't pay on the spot, should get poor ratings.
It's a horrible thing to do to a seller, and a bad business practice.
My dispute was with a buyer who won the auction, then after a few days I sent him a message asking when he was going to complete the transaction.
He said he had miscalculated his bank balance and all he could send me was a little over half the price.
He said I had to agree to lower the price, and that I couldn't give him a bad rating, since I was agreeing to everything.
I told him to stick it, filed a dispute, within 3 days he completed the transaction for the price he had bid.
He even gave me a 5 star rating.

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
I was selling guitars and gear on EBay long before Reverb existed. Never had a problem with music equipment sales. I did have a guy from France rip me off for about $200 on a Magic the Gathering card. I don't sell internationally anymore because of it.

I tried selling an amp on Reverb a couple of years back. It sat for 30 days. Finally pulled it and posted it on EBay - it sold in two days.

I still buy things regularly on EBay.

tele_pathic

Friend of Leo's

I don't think this is true for musical instruments and stuff that falls into that broad category. I believe musical instruments have a different rate: 3.5%. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As to the OP, I've sold lots of stuff on ebay, and I just recently started selling on reverb. Both sites have the same fees. Ebay reaches more people than reverb, for sure. I've had lots of luck on both sites. I've had the occasional flake on ebay, but as for a percentage, it must be very low.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't think this is true for musical instruments and stuff that falls into that broad category. I believe musical instruments have a different rate: 3.5%. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Maybe this varies by territory?
I've just checked on the eBay UK fees calculator (https://www.fees.ebay.co.uk/feeweb/feecalculator) and it comes out at 10% even if the category is Musical Instruments/ Electric / Guitars. Reverb on the other hand charges 3.5% over here - I've sold a guitar and some effects pedals through Reverb recently. I found the. Very easy to work with, and I am sure the Bump feature helped my guitar sell (it took quite a while for the eventual buyer to take a look at the listing).

tele_pathic

Friend of Leo's
No....ebay charges 3.5% for musical instruments. Proof!

ebay fees.jpg

Huddy

Tele-Holic
No....ebay charges 3.5% for musical instruments. Proof!

View attachment 453959
Ah there must be a difference between auction and fixed price on eBay. I can't dispute the black and white of your example but I sell all my stuff fixed price. I'm a top rated seller so I get final value fee discounts. I don't trust auctions as a seller and most buyers I've found don't like them either. I want people to buy what I've got right when they want it... Not wait 7 days and change their mind or find something else that's a little bit more than they were thinking of of bidding on mine but they can have it before the weekend. That's just my take on it.