1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

selling experience from TDPRI

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telebanjo, Jan 24, 2016.

1. telebanjo

telebanjo TDPRI Member Platinum Supporter

Hello,

I don't know if I am asking this in the correct place or not, but whomever monitors these please feel free to move it accordingly.
    My question is, I have a 1998 telecaster deluxe plus I thought would be better to list for sale on here than ebay or craigslist but have you that have sold on here, had good or bad experiences? I have a pay pal acct, and would only want to sell in the continental USA. Any feedback is appreciated with your selling experiences through here. thanks

2. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have both bought and sold guitars here, with happy folks all around. All it takes is good product, a good price, and honesty on both sides of the fence. You don't get the traffic you do on Ebay or maybe some other sites now. I did sell on and buy on Ebay years ago and that's where I got my beloved AV'62, but haven't done so recently. It's quite easy to list a guitar here.

When I look at adds I'm not comfortable with a member who joined just to sell a guitar. It's really easy to check TDPRI background on any member who's selling or inquiring about buying something, e.g. see how long they've been around, what they post on.

I bought my first Telecaster right on TDPRI years ago, that's what got me started loving 'em. Good luck.

3. telebanjo

Thank you for your reply. I have bought for years on ebay however I have never sold thru there. I have sold on local craigslist with some degree of success but the guitar I want to list would have a better "selective" audience for this type of guitar on there I was thinking. Plus ebay has gotten to getting a percentage that I would need to add on top of what I want, which might make the sale marginal.. anyway, thanks again for your reply. I am glad that your dealings here were good, it's uplifting...

4. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

So why you want to sell your Tele Deluxe?

I thought you were going to "Tele-fy" your church performance?

Did you get another guitar?

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, ya see it was kind of like this. Telebanjo got to plunking around in church on a nice gospel song, then all at once he kind lost direction and slid into Brad Paisley's "Old Alabama." Well the parishioners all got to boogieing around and first thing you know they all was done gone out the front door.

Afterwards: The preacher says to old Telebanjo: "You know you can't bring that instrument of the devil back here with you again don't you? "I thought we had this all cleared up after that "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" business on your banjo. Sheesh TB, buy you books send you to school, and.... You're gonna have to get yourself a nice old arch top f hole GIBSON, that oughta tame you down a little!!

That right there is the gospel truth (as far as you know)

6. telebanjo

Actually I have an ES347 Gibson that I play there some as well and we all have different instruments that we prefer to play and honestly i pick more Chet style there to worship The Lord than flat picking and this tele lays in the case at home. Might as well belong to someone else who will play it. It is nearly mint so from a telecaster collectors standpoint it would be a great addition.

7. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

To answer the original question, I've had nothing but good experiences buying and selling here on TDPRI. I use standard PayPal.

I won't buy from someone who only accepts PayPal gift, as it feels dishonest. For the same reason, if I'm selling something, I would never expect someone to "gift" me the money.

Standard Paypal gives both the buyer and the seller some recourse if there's an unexpected problem.

I've had problems on eBay, never on TDPRI.

8. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I have had difficulties having payment sent in any other way then as gifts between two individuals.

Honestly, if they have a high post count on here, or if you talk to them extensively on the phone first, there is very little risk.

I've done dozens of trades on here...

And some members even give away stuff for free from time to time... Speakers, tubes, hard to find amp parts, you name it.

9. telebanjo

Hey, I really appreciate the replies, it gives me more of a warmer feeling to go forward with my listing of the guitar on this site. Thank you.

10. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

Even though you've made your decision, I'll add one more opinion to the mud pit!

I have had so-so experiences here selling guitars. Granted, I sell a lot of partscasters, and also a few high-end (>$1500) units. Folks here are ... uh ... discriminating buyers. I.e., they're mostly looking for significant deals. I understand (now) the whole sentiment about partscasters, which is why I now sell them in parts (which does work pretty well on TDPRI).

I've been using -- with more success -- Reverb.com. There are fees, but they're not like eBay and you get the audience of people looking at musical instruments, but perhaps not quite so interested in making a killing on the buy.

I also cross-list. I'll put things up in the classifieds here and on Reverb (I no longer go with eBay or CL). Wherever it sells first.

11. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a pedal from the classifieds here. Everything worked out great.

12. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

As a longtime member here, I've done well over 50 transactions....I can honestly say I have never had a bad experience. While I have sold a few guitars, most of what I've listed and sold has been pickups, pedals and parts.

With any transaction, communication is key. If buying, ask questions! Don't leave things to chance. If selling, be brutally honest in your description and tone down the "Plays like butter and the tone drips and consumed like celestial orgasms of audio ecstasy". People wonder why you're selling such an amazing instrument.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.