Sell PRRI to buy Blues Junior: Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tele_pathic, Oct 5, 2018.

1. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Glad you've "heard" the difference between the DRRI and PRRI and are happier after some A/B'n.

**unsolicited opinion**

if you're REALLY hankering for a small el-84 based fender, I think a Pro Junior compliments a PRRI better than a blues jr.

at least the PRRI special editions are plywood, unless I'm mistaken, most of the BJ's (including most special editions, though not ALL of em') are still dado'd particle board construction)

2. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Mix your wasabi with the soy sauce and keep the PRRI - the world will be right again! :lol: In St. George, that is.

3. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I agree with some of the other posts, it sounds like there is something wrong with the reverb & tremolo. I have that PRRI tweed with C-rex speaker, and I think it's killer. Mine also came with a bad switch, and I've seen more than a couple of posts about that. (a trend?)
    I would definitely check the tube/s that are driving the reverb/tremolo, because although the reverb is quite rich and cavernous, that is how a Fender reverb is supposed to sound. (but not with ghost reverb, with the amp idling). The tremolo is definitely not as domineering as the reverb, but should be quite prominent in the 6-7 plus range. (in that regard, I would look at the tube driving the tremolo). I can't comment on the BJ, because I've never played one, ( I do know, a lot of people really like it!), but for me, the tweed FSR '65 BF reissue is an awesome amp, and works just as I'd hoped it would when I decided to buy it.
    IMG_0189.JPG

4. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

Yup you are crazy! Part 1 of your plan is great and you should sell your PRRI. But, part 2 needs revision... take that money and buy a full size fender hand wired from the 70s like maybe a twin or pro reverb.

5. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

So I picked up a Source Audio True Spring spring reverb/tremolo pedal, and I LOVE the trem and reverb in this pedal much more than the reverb and trem in the PRRI. So now, I've got all this on my mind again.

Instead of a Blues Jr, should I sell the PRRI to get a Tweed Deluxe 5e3 type amp? I wish I would have thought about that first. My only concern would be clean headroom. My PRRI is pretty clean at 5-6, which I need for our band. Would the 5e3 still be clean at similar volume around 5?

RLee77 likes this.
  6. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

The stock speaker in the BJ is terrible. I reacted to it the same way you did. But with a different speaker (in my case, a CRex) it sounds like an entirely different amp. In a good way.

7. derekirving

derekirving TDPRI Member

@tele_pathic I'm looking at getting the Source Audio True Spring too. They sound GREAT in the videos I've seen.

I DO have a 5E3 (lil dawg D-lux) it's a GREAT amp. That being said when you say 5E3 with volume 5 are you looking for volume 5 "clean" or volume 5 "dirty"? I have a pretty efficient speaker in mine (99.8 db) and that helps, but i keep mine at volume 3. I play pretty clean w/a hint of hair rockabilly, retro rock n roll, blues and jump blues. Anything more than 3 for me gets too compressed and distorted for me. On 3 it works with my band which doesn't have too loud of a drummer.

A blues jr at 5 will be louder and probably cleaner. Try before you buy if you can. I have to say I think the new fender IV pro jr and blue jrs sound good. They are different tonality then a 5E3, the PRRI will also be cleaner then the 5E3. Those circuits react differently at volume 5.

I much prefer the 5E3 over a PRRI and the Blues Jr.

8. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I checked out that source audio pedal, it sounds pretty cool and seems very flexible... thanks for calling it out. I assume that when you power down the pedal, it comes back up with whatever previous settings you had for reverb & trem?

Edit: On second thought, I think I’d rather have reverb and trem in their separate pedals, so they can each be turned on/off and adjusted easily. I think it would have been better if the side mode switch toggled between trem and reverb adjust with each push, rather than having to hold down the switch... that sounds really awkward to do with a guitar strapped.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  9. Grandma's Tele

Grandma's Tele Tele-Meister

The source Audio pedal seems nice and before you change your amp (and lose money), maybe you could try these kind of pedals. They are not very expensive, usually:

10. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Adding my voice to those above suggesting the Princeton get checked out by a good tech before you make a decision. Also remember the BJ and the PR are very different amps/circuits with different tone characteristics. (EL 84 vs 6V6 power tubes). They're both fine in their own ways but the PR is much more classic Fender tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.