Sell or not?

THX1123

Tele-Holic
Just curious about some other opinions. I have a pretty decent pedal collection. I don't really sell pedals, and the ones I've sold in the past I've regretted.

It seems to me that pedals are selling high. I have some stuff I haven't used in a long time. I figure if I sold 5-6 of them I could buy an amp or guitar.

This isn't some teaser or TDPRI sales ploy. I would sell pedals here at a much more fair price than I am considering.

I don't need to move any pedals for financial crisis reasons. It just seems like a good time to sell. Some of the pedals I would move would sell for more than I paid. I have some good stuff - a Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom, a Barber Trifecta Fuzz, a Devi Ever Shoegazer, a Sarno Earth Drive, an AnalogMan Bi-Comp, a few other cool things as well as an EHX Soul Food, and some older Boss stuff. I don't currently use my Boss FZ-3 or Barber 1/2 Gainer but I probably wouldn't sell those.

Anyway, do you think I should I keep them? Am I setting myself up for regret? Or take advantage of the market? I figure I could grab a Roland JC-40 or a Mustang Bass if I sold some off...

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Just curious about some other opinions. I have a pretty decent pedal collection. I don't really sell pedals, and the ones I've sold in the past I've regretted.

It seems to me that pedals are selling high. I have some stuff I haven't used in a long time. I figure if I sold 5-6 of them I could buy an amp or guitar.

This isn't some teaser or TDPRI sales ploy. I would sell pedals here at a much more fair price than I am considering.

I don't need to move any pedals for financial crisis reasons. It just seems like a good time to sell. Some of the pedals I would move would sell for more than I paid. I have some good stuff - a Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom, a Barber Trifecta Fuzz, a Devi Ever Shoegazer, a Sarno Earth Drive, an AnalogMan Bi-Comp, a few other cool things as well as an EHX Soul Food, and some older Boss stuff. I don't currently use my Boss FZ-3 or Barber 1/2 Gainer but I probably wouldn't sell those.

Anyway, do you think I should I keep them? Am I setting myself up for regret? Or take advantage of the market? I figure I could grab a Roland JC-40 or a Mustang Bass if I sold some off...

Based on it being "a good time to sell"? There is no way to know. I don't think this pedal bubble is quite all the way up, but I do think it might be close. Eventually people might realize that they're just not that interesting.

I think pedalboards are like charm bracelets, and guitar players can't resist filling them up. Large pedalboards are already unfashionable, so how long before the backlash, and people don't want to be seen with more than two pedals on the floor?

A whole lot of pedals are made and sold now that are just going through the motions. This makes me think it's just a silly time we are in.

But I really like having a lot of pedals around, even though I gig two or three. If it were me, I'd probably keep them all, and resolve to not caring if the value plummets. Over enough time, they will probably only go up.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Hang onto them until they're mentioned on the JHS Show or That Pedal Show, then sell.

eddiemurphythink.gif

THX1123

Tele-Holic
Based on it being "a good time to sell"? There is no way to know. I don't think this pedal bubble is quite all the way up, but I do think it might be close. Eventually people might realize that they're just not that interesting.

I think pedalboards are like charm bracelets, and guitar players can't resist filling them up. Large pedalboards are already unfashionable, so how long before the backlash, and people don't want to be seen with more than two pedals on the floor?

A whole lot of pedals are made and sold now that are just going through the motions. This makes me think it's just a silly time we are in.

But I really like having a lot of pedals around, even though I gig two or three. If it were me, I'd probably keep them all, and resolve to not caring if the value plummets. Over enough time, they will probably only go up.
Ain't it? That's the rub - I never even thought about selling until I started looking around...I might really want to use some of them later. Lots of them just aren't made anymore, like the Trifecta and Shoegazer, but I use a Soda Meiser now, and my Fuzz Factory can do just about anthing. I don't see a single Earth Drive on Reverb.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
All I can share is my own experience.
Every time I have sold a piece of gear, the regret eats at me until I replace it.
The regret is a feeling worse than GAS :eek:

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I’ve posted this before but it tells you everything you need to know about the used pedal market.
This is real. New in box from the maker including freight is less than used and you have to add freight. Can buy in stock right now but used is higher price. It’s madness. Sell.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
You're not using them, so sell them. The notion that they may further increase in value has to be weighed against the reality that everything is costing more now and there will be fewer people willing to pay top dollar for boutique pedals. It's a luxury most people can easily forsake.

THX1123

Tele-Holic
I am getting the feeling that if sell a bunch of pedals off I should aim higher than a JC-40 or a Mustang Bass.

Or be sensible and get Buddy (my old '95 Nissan pickup truck) painted

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Can you tell when the Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory was featured in an episode of The JHS Show?

View attachment 981779

lol, that's too funny. What's wrong with people?

It's worth 60 or 70 bucks but not much more. The footswitches are pretty dodgy in that whole digitech line and prone to fail or become intermittent.

Digital technology has got better too, the Boss OD200 has so much more to offer imo.