Sell my Fender Vintera MIM & buy a Squier Classic Vibe?

Sell the Vintera and buy a Classic Vibe?

• Sell the Vintera to buy the Classic Vibe

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Keep the Vintera and forget about the Classic Vibe

Votes: 36 87.8%

• Total voters

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
Sorry to hear that you need to raise cash. I've been there myself, but fortunately not for the last ten years or so.

Do you have another guitar? Could you just sell the Vintera for now, play whatever else you have, then buy something that you really like at some point in the future when you have a better grip on your finances. I a few months time you may have more money available, then again you may need another $350 and need to sell the CV at a loss.

If you need to raise cash, I would just sell the Vintera and sit on it for now.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Musicians selling gear because they need the money is a tale as old as the first lute. Embrace your part in the tradition. Get the cash you need now and live to dream of acquiring new gear when times are better.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Musicians selling gear because they need the money is a tale as old as the first lute.

After having to do a painful gear purge in the 90's when I sold several nice guitars, that's when I started down the path of fixing up used, "broken", inexpensive guitars and building partscasters. It makes them much more difficult to sell.

eddiemurphythink.gif

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Keeping the Vintera is the right decision. I generally don't like Pau Ferro fretboards, but yours doesn't look that bad. However, if the looks of it really bother you (it does look a little weird with the LPB body), there's an easy fix. Get some Fiebings Leather Dye (either dark brown or black) and dye it. I've used the black dye on a Laurel fretboard and it turned out great. Looks like ebony and hasn't worn off after a year. Never tried it with Pau Ferro.

If what you really want is a maple fretboard neck, you could look for a maple Vintera neck and sell the Pau Ferro one. I put a Vintera 50s neck (7.25" radius vs the 9.5" on the Vintera 60s Modified neck) on an American Special and love it. There are several Vintera 60s roasted maple fretboard necks on Reverb right now. They're going for around $350.

tele_paul

Tele-Meister
Sorry to hear that you need to raise cash. I've been there myself, but fortunately not for the last ten years or so.

Do you have another guitar? Could you just sell the Vintera for now, play whatever else you have, then buy something that you really like at some point in the future when you have a better grip on your finances. I a few months time you may have more money available, then again you may need another $350 and need to sell the CV at a loss.

If you need to raise cash, I would just sell the Vintera and sit on it for now.
I have four other guitars right now. I need the cash, but I have a couple options, so it's not too urgent. It'll work out...but thanks for the advice. :)

(i have yet to watch this but thought it could be interesting)

I just watched this, and while I'm still planning on keeping the Vintera, the takeaway from his video (and the comments within) tells a VASTLY different story than this thread. It's almost like they are from two different realities lol.

For those giving me crap about thinking about making this swap, watch that video, look at those comments (as well as pretty much any other comments on the entire internet about the subject) and tell me it's not at least worth pondering.

hdvades

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
+1 Keep the Vintera. Rub some Lemon Oil into the fretboard. Find another means to come up with the needed $350. I've been in a financial bind a few times myself. Speaking from experience, I think you would regret the final tradeoff at the end of the day. Glad to hear you decided to keep the Tele you have now. CV's are good for their price point, but they're no substitute for a MIM Telecaster imho. Good luck to the OP and Happy Easter to all.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I wouldn't look at it as purely a financial decision.
Every guitar is an individual and what if you trade the Vintera for a Squier you just can't bond with?
Have you had time to give the Vintera some serious play time? Have you bonded with it; would it be a keeper if you didn't need the money?
I would seriously sit down with the Classic Vibe you would be looking at buying, spend some time playing it. Does it compare to the Vintera?

All the Youtube videos in the world aren't going to tell you for sure whether you will regret this decision or not. You have to sit down with both guitars and spend some time playing and evaluating them.

I was in the same boat you are and sold a couple of guitars about 12 years ago for financial reasons and have regretted it ever since.
I haven't sold a single piece of gear since.

Don't get me wrong, I am not putting down the Classic Vibe, have 7 of them in the house right now between myself and the kids.
I just want to encourage you to make sure you get some play time with whatever replacement you chose and make sure you can live with the swap without regrets.

My Squier CV50 wall art 😍

20220313_200517996_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
It’s cool to have a brand name. I would have absolutely no fear going to a Squier. Not saying you should but if you do…rest assured you’ll get a dynamite axe. I’ve had two and still own one. Both were fantastic. My recent Squier Jazzmaster is flawless! If you’re not brand specific, there’s G&L Tributes in that range. Maybe a Schecter PT. I have both and they are solid guitars as well.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
My thought?
If you’re unhappy with the Vintera (which you said you were), replace it with another MIM guitar that you do like.

Nothing against the CVs (good guitars for the money), but most of the MIM models are a significant upgrade from the MII, MIK and MIC Squiers and Fenders, and they have better resale value.

CV Squiers are good guitars for the money.
Ensenada Fenders are good guitars, period.

Personally, I would look for a different hecho-en-Mexico Fender that feels better to you in comparison with your Vintera.

I know you said you also need money for bills, but take this nugget learned from long, hard experience:
You won’t remember what bill(s) you paid, but you will remember that you now have a (CV) guitar with less resale value and if you don’t bond with the CV, you have less buying power for it’s replacement.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I have four other guitars right now. I need the cash, but I have a couple options, so it's not too urgent. It'll work out...but thanks for the advice. :)

I just watched this, and while I'm still planning on keeping the Vintera, the takeaway from his video (and the comments within) tells a VASTLY different story than this thread. It's almost like they are from two different realities lol.

For those giving me crap about thinking about making this swap, watch that video, look at those comments (as well as pretty much any other comments on the entire internet about the subject) and tell me it's not at least worth pondering.

I briefly considered a CV as an extra until I found out they weigh over 10 lbs. That is just too far outside the envelope for a telecaster shaped object, for me. I don't think 10+ lbs of pine knot is likely to sound the way I want a tele to sound, despite what the physicists of tdpri say.
As for the video, that "cheap thing is as good as expensive thing" is a whole youtube genre because it gets clicks, because people have bills to pay.
If I were in your position, I'd play one and see. Just not with high hopes.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Sell everything and pay off debt.
Figure out where the debt keeps hitting you and get out of the tricky corner squeezing you there. Cheaper rent, good used car not a new one with payments, cheap phone...

To get back into the gear game, buy a Glarry guitar, a used Peavey Bandit, and a couple of $25 mini pedals off Amazon.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I briefly considered a CV as an extra until I found out they weigh over 10 lbs. That is just too far outside the envelope for a telecaster shaped object, for me. I don't think 10+ lbs of pine knot is likely to sound the way I want a tele to sound, despite what the physicists of tdpri say.
As for the video, that "cheap thing is as good as expensive thing" is a whole youtube genre because it gets clicks, because people have bills to pay.
If I were in your position, I'd play one and see. Just not with high hopes.
Yes, I have seen them upwards of 10lbs, but there are plenty in the 8lb range. Sweetwater has pictures and shows the weight of each guitar if you are buying online.
Every one of the 7 Classic Vibes we have in our home, MIC and MII, are right around 8lbs and NONE of them have "pine knots" :rolleyes:

20220313_200517996_iOS.jpg

tele_paul

Tele-Meister

Sell everything and pay off debt.
Figure out where the debt keeps hitting you and get out of the tricky corner squeezing you there. Cheaper rent, good used car not a new one with payments, cheap phone...

To get back into the gear game, buy a Glarry guitar, a used Peavey Bandit, and a couple of $25 mini pedals off Amazon.

Damn dude.....my situation isn't that dire LMFAO. It's no big deal, really. I'm ok overall financially...things will be just fine. ;)

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
Disclaimer: my gear funds come from the pool of gear I currently have. There is no, "just save up for it". I don't have it like that right now. If I want to try something new, I need to let other stuff go. All I want is just one good Telecaster.

That said, I'm considering selling my '60s Modified Vintera Tele to fund a Squier Classic Vibe. The $350+ I will make on the swap would really come in handy with some bills I have to pay. I could get the $350 by selling other things, but I really REALLY don't want to sell them. Would I be giving up too much with this swap? I know resale value will be terrible on the Squier and the fret wire is supposedly softer, but is there anything else that'll be inferior, other than the psychological damage done in giving up a Fender for a Squier lol? The Classic Vibe will likely be Indonesian, not sure if that matters.
Never played a Vintera or CV Tele.

But I can say that I prefer the CV Strat neck to the PF Vintera Strat neck i owned. By far. I sold the Vintera neck and play my CV neck daily.

What’s most comfortable for a person varies, and doesn’t always go with what’s more valuable on the market.

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
I have sold one guitar for financial reasons during my 60+ years of playing. That was a 1964 Fender Jazzmaster that I had bought new right after high school graduation. In the mid 70’s my ex-wife left leaving me with four very young sons to raise and support totally on my own. Money got tight and I sold the Jazzmaster for something over $200 (a bit over $100 under what I paid for it new).

Of course soon the money was gone and forgotten. The guitar was never forgotten. It was a decision I have always regretted, ever to this day nearly 50 years later. If I had a do-over I would have found some other solution to find ing that needed money back then. That poor decision back then and the regret is the reason I have not sold one guitar since then.

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
Another vote for I would keep the vintera-I might sell it to trade up but not down-keep your eyes open and if you find something you like more then sell it once you already have a "better" guitar in hand

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
Ah, bummer, I’m the lone vote to go with the CV, and you already made your decision so I can’t sway you!
Nah, I was going to vote CV too.

He said that he hasn’t been able to “bond” with his Vintera yet. In my mind, that should have been the end of the discussion. Keep swapping until you find the one that you can’t live without.

Last edited: