Sell it or Not?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Milspec, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It has finally happened to me, I walk into my home studio and just feel uninspired by most of it. I used to walk into the room and feel like a kid on Christmas morning, but for the past month it just feels like a cluttered room in need of cleaning out.

One of the items is my '94 Fender Strat-Plus with factory case. It was actually my first Strat purchase and became the only one that I didn't purge over the years once I discovered that I am not really a Strat kind of player. It sounds great, looks great, but I don't like middle pickups and the selector is always in my way to the point that I really don't find Strats a good fit for me. I don't think I even took it out of the case this Summer.

I think I only kept it all these years because it does look great and on paper it seems to be as good as a factory Strat gets, but with all the things going on in my life these days I wonder if I should just send it on down the road along with several amplifiers and piles of speakers, pedals, etc.?

I hesitate to make any decisions immediately as my Father passed away a few days ago and I am still facing the funeral tomorrow so my mind isn't clear right now, but just from a simple question....would you keep a guitar that you very rarely play? I don't see any guitar past the '70's going up in value, but maybe it would, I don't know.

Just trying to get a handle on this and seem to be unable to maked a decision.

rangercaster likes this.
  2. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's

Sorry for your loss. My Mother passed away in June. I wouldn’t do anything at the moment until you grieve awhile.

3. Milspec

Thanks, you are probably right. Even when I think I have a handle on it, something bubbles up.

4. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Sorry about your father. Keep you chin up and keep the strat. Guitars built after 1970 will go up in value.

Milspec likes this.
  5. SparkleFart

SparkleFart Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This sounds wise, & my condolences as well.

You mention maybe not having played it all summer. Unless it's a financial or space imperative, perhaps create a window -- give yourself opportunity to pick it up again later. And to deal with other things. Then come Spring, reevaluate. Again, sorry for your loss.

6. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I second the motion that you don't act until you've had more time to grieve properly. And my condolences to you and yours.

To answer your question about whether I'd keep a guitar I rarely play, typically I'd say no, but there are two exceptions.
    I have an Epi SG short scale bass that I rarely mess with, but I'm keeping it around so that in the event the whole band thing goes away (hopefully not for a long while), I'll be able to use it to record bass tracks for original music.
    I have old cheapie acoustic (Windsor) that my grandfather bought used in 1939, and gave to a great uncle I never met when he was shipping out for Europe in the War. The guitar was shipped back with his body. By the time I started seriously playing, my grandfather had sold off his guitars (one was a classic Martin that he sold for next to nothing to an old bandmate). Except the Windsor, which was sitting around my aunt's house with 3 strings on it, and a lot of accumulated dirt and grime (no case). I cleaned it up, and it's barely playable because the action is so high. My trusted guitar shop advised that I leave the guitar as is instead of trying to make it more playable. So I rarely bring it out of its case to play it, but it's not going anywhere.

Milspec likes this.
  7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The Strat Plus is a great guitar. I'm so sorry for your loss. When you have time and feel like sharing, snap a pic of the guitar and post it so we can admire it before you move it along (or not!)

Milspec likes this.
  8. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to hear about your dad. Losing a family member is never easy.

That being said, hold onto the Strat. You can sell it just as easily a few months down the road as you can now. No need to rush into things until you are completely sure of what you want to do.

Milspec likes this.
  9. Bill Clay

Bill Clay TDPRI Member

One easy thing you could do is get a replacement pickguard with only cutouts for bridge and neck pickups since you don't like the middle pickup, and have the pickguard made with a three way toggle switch instead the five way. There are plenty of areas you could place your new pickup selector on a pickguard of your own design.
    If you're not a DIY guy I know it might sound like throwing more money at a guitar that you weren't even sure you wanted to keep, but your first few sentences spoke so highly of it it sounds to me like you're more put off by a few features that are annoying you than complete dissatisfaction with the guitar as a whole.
    So maybe make a few changes so that the guitar only features the qualities you previously praised, and best part of all, you can always put it back to factory stock to sell it along if it turns out you truly have fallen completely out of love with it after all!

M2roadwarrior and Milspec like this.
  10. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Sell it.

If it’s not getting played and it’s not the kind of guitar you really care to play anyway by the sounds of it, no use having it sit around. If you really want a Strat down the road, there are plenty out there that will be available if your tastes change.

modavis99, Marc Morfei and Milspec like this.
  11. Milspec

I hadn't thought about that, but you are right, it could be altered to eliminate the flaws. It is something to consider.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  12. Milspec

strat 002.jpg

13. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's

If you use the whammy at all that nut helps with staying in tune, as you know. I would keep it.

I had a Strat Ultra that I had to sell after a long stretch of unemployment but it had the locking nut. I think this nut is an improvement over that one.

Milspec likes this.
  14. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would stash it and think about it later ...

I procrastinate a lot, but I'll tell you about next week ..

Milspec and M2roadwarrior like this.
  15. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch TDPRI Member

I lost my dad four years ago, and the only truly level-headed decision I made in the next year was “Stop putting up with jerks”, which is the G-rated version of his favorite and frequent advice.

I wouldn’t make any big decisions I didn’t have to until at least after the first of the year. I imagine there will be a couple big decisions that can’t be avoided taking up enough space in your brain anyway.

16. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

+1(6?) sorry about your dad, keep it for now and maybe alter to suit, looks like a nice guitar

Milspec likes this.
  17. decibel

decibel TDPRI Member

Sell it, but have something else eyed to invest the money in before doing so.
    I don't get along with strats for the same reason - controls are always in my way, etc. Sold mine no regrets.

Milspec likes this.
  18. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I enjoy selling gear even more than buying. It makes me very happy to exchange something I don't use and will not miss for a pile of cash money. That said, I have sold some things that I later regretted. Those were because I was too hasty, or traded one thing for something I thought I would like better, but didn't. So as others have said, wait, and decide later when your head is clear.

Milspec likes this.
  19. Milspec

You might be right, i just returned from the wake and casket viewing and i didn't handle it very well. Due to the current you know what, we were not allowed to visit for the last 6 months so nobody was there for Dad this Summer. That reality hit home at the viewing and I am so angry about it that I can't think clearly at all. Funeral is in the morning...don't think I will be any better after that.

Selling of unused gear is not something that needs to happen right now except that it might help my mother if I could use the funds to send her on a vacation or something. Just a terrible day today and more to come.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  20. modavis99

modavis99 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sending positive vibes your way.

take time to heal and ask us again in a month.

Milspec likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.