Sell it like this?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by schmee, Jul 30, 2020.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

So, I'm preparing to sell some stuff. I may never play again, but I have plenty if I decide to do so at some point.
    I've been cleaning up the '65 BFDR I have. It's a workhorse, I have never been shy about replacing a noisy resistor etc along the way.
    There's one issue. if I play for an hour or two, eventually it may start a bit of low level crackling for 30 seconds, then go away.
    I just dont know whether to try to solve it, or just say what it does it in a sale ad when I sell. Problem is, it'll never do it trying to diagnose it.
    The other day I played it for about an hour with my looper, and luckily it started. (I had the chassis out) I immediately went and grabbed the chassis and it stopped when I set it down again. :mad:

Right after that I wiggled tubes, wiggled wires with a chopstik etc. Nuttin. WTF!

2. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Do you have any freeze spray? Sounds like something is failing when warm.

Wally and nojazzhere like this.
  3. schmee

I could get some, that's a thought. Have to be quick on the trigger.!

4. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Holic

Sell it on a cold day? ;)

5. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Sell it as a fixer upper ... as is ...

Dismalhead likes this.
  6. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Meister

list it high.....be upfront about the problem.....you have room to come down to allow for repair

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had a similar problem with my 77 DR. But after four hours. My tech found it after all the work was done, and he was burning it in. Cost him another week of pulled hair. Eventually he took it to Two Rock HQ (he's down the road), and between them they figured out the board had become conductive. As much as 13V in places. Intermittent, of course.

I'd do nothing, and I'd say nothing in the ad. Once someone shows interest, I'd tell them just what you told us. Most people realize this kind of thing happens.

8. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Could be a screen (grid) resistor. Wally probably will know what is the culprit...

9. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

So maybe movement changed it? in a warm amp? I'm assuming you've chopstick'd everything. I've had crackle due to dirty pins / *loose socket springs* etc. -- one time even just a tube I'd only inserted partway.:) I bet there are dozens of other possible causes, tho.

schmee likes this.
  10. schmee

All the 100k plate resistors have been changed over the years. Screen grids changed a few years back. Output coupling caps renewed. Eyelets resoldered.
    I wish it would do it long enough to diagnose something.
    The Bass pot is very "loose" spins easy. A tiny bit scratchy. I had to replace the volume pot a few years back it had gone bad internally. I wonder if the Bass pot is doing it...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.