self taught player going on 9 months how am i doing?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by myersth, Mar 24, 2015.

1. myersth

myersth TDPRI Member

iv been playing since july. im completely self taught everything from my first chords to basic guitar tech. i can play several songs that i will attach links for u to watch. i can do basic hybrid picking. i feel like iv mastered the key of G chords but i still struggle with any other key specially c. every one says im doing good and i understand this takes years to master. im getting disappointed cause im struggling with basic soloing and chickin picking. even tho i can play a song i cant due it 100% even tho id give my self an A or B on what i have learned. the 2 links are me playing Brantly Gilberts bottoms up and luke Bryan roller coaster. im currently learning play it again, this is how we roll, thats my kind of night, and perfect storm. the only other song i can play fully is jake owen what we aint got. i feel like i should be progressing faster, but what i have been told is im trying to learn stuff to hard for lvl(which is good and bad) my goal was to be able to have a few good songs learned by summer so i can play around the fire but right now i have like 1 good one. nothing else i can sing and play. so what do u guys think of my ability and any advice on what i should do to keep out of the platues. i do practice everyday least 2 hours to 4 hours.

2. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

Looks (and sounds) to me like you're right on track, man! That's pretty good for 9 month's work. Rhythm is good, finding the grips quickly and smoothly will come with more experience. Chicken picking ain't easy, that's why there's usually a thread a month about it. Learn the "circle of fifths", comes in handy for different keys, you'll pick it up pretty quickly. Keep practicing those chord changes, work on smooth transitions. As for plateaus, we all hit them, then bust through and keep going. You appear to have some natural talent, just don't get too down on yourself, the chicks still dig a guitar player.

3. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

to expand on voodoostations points. just keep at it. guitar playing is a process. you have done well so far, but don't set your expectation level so far ahead, that you lose interest.

just keep plugging away.

one i suggestion i might give, is for when strumming (the top video), utilize both down strokes and upstrokes. you'll get a lot more economical in energy spent to get the same sound.

only a savant would be highly proficient at chicken pickin' in 9 months. :) set your goals low at first. then once you are proficient at all the rudiments, you can expand from there. from there, you'll discover your own voice--so to speak.

4. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like your on the right track to me. It just takes time.

I've got 3 solid continuous months of practice in for the first time in my life. I've improved, but I still suck. The good thing is that I'm committed, the bad, I've got along way to go.

It's years of practice, not months. I guess you have to be happy for the small improvements and over time they will be big improvements. You just have to keep at it and not give up.

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Learning to play on a Telecaster... You Rock! ..:twisted: already...:)

most people learn on acoustics doing windscreen wiper strumming when learning chords...

you are learning all your strings as individuals already.... nice definition of notes after such a short time...timing is good... you are listening to tunes and working the parts out well... figuring out how it all links together... :cool:

I reckon you've figured out an electric guitar from scratch more than most folks do after 9 mths....;)

remember.. every guitar song you've ever heard is on the guitar you are holding....enjoy the journey of discovery.....:cool:

6. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

You are doing well and it sounds good. From the sounds of it you may have hit your first "plateau". Most players hit points where it feels like they aren't progressing over and over through the years. The way I deal with it is to change things up. I set aside the stuff that is frustrating me and figure out a new angle or area of learning to focus on. Sometimes I just take a break and do something else until playing feels fresh and fun. When I come back to what had me frustrated, I do better with a fresh attitude. Others have other ways of dealing with it. Some people power through it. You could isolate parts that you are struggling with down to very small pieces. Practice one lick or section of a few notes over and over. When you think you have it down, do it some more :lol: Do it until you can daydream and you're still playing the lick. Then do the same with the next small piece. Then play them both consecutively. Add on in tiny pieces until you get to the end.
    Be patient and have faith. If you keep at it, you will improve and things that you struggle with will be easy one day. There is always more to learn and improve.
    Try joining or starting a band. That would be a changeup and is one of the best and most fun things you can do to improve.

7. myersth

myersth TDPRI Member

i Guess i should of stated that i didnt start on electric. i was given a cheap but cool Gibson mistreo back in july. i Played that till Christmas till i got the tele. i do play both but even tho my acoustic is 3/4 sized i find it uncomfrable to play for long pds of time specially once i got the tele(which is squier affinity that i learned to set up, put new pups in, and new saddles by myself to). also i consider myself self taught. first 4 months was all you tube and just playing down strokes learning transitions till i stumbled a crossed six string country. awesome site that i ended up subscribing to that has awesome vid lessons and a great email support team. but figuring out the little important stuff that isnt explained, i had to sit and struggle through. i do take on the more evolved lead parts over just rythem.(some songs i wanna be able to play around a fire so i have to learn ryethem or least make it my own). I thank everyone for the confidence boost. doing this myself makes me feel like im on a 1,000mi hike with no map not knowing how far iv come or how far i have to go. i do see small improvements even if its something every day or every week. just trying to hold on to the patience. brad paisley is my idol and i strive to be least half as good as him. after reading his book he didnt just pick it up and be a country god, took him many years and passion. i will take everything every has said try it. my biggest problem is i expect to learn a song in a week and i guess at this lvl that shouldnt be expected. hell playing the same song over and over for hours for weeks gets boring. i just learned that i have to work on multiple things at once or im just gonna burn my self out on it. thats why i have such a big list of songs im learning. cause now ill play one song for an hour or so then go work on a solo or another song then maybe ill do a run threw of the few songs that i do know cause they need to be retained and improved on. i also do switch from lead to rythem parts. and even tho i cant sing a word im trying to develop my voice to

8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i think you sound really good! take the good advice offered here, but don't let it overwhelm you. you can only climb Guitar Mountain one step at a time.

9. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

What he said....great advice. Keep up the good work, you're doing fine.

10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I think you're doing well for less than 1 year in. Learning guitar is about managing the peaks and valleys. And we all go through them and we all get frustrated and have bouts of lack of motivation. It's normal.

Also remember this (sorry to me morbid): the moment when you die is the moment you learned all you were going to learn on guitar. No one in the history of music playing has ever said they learned it all (and really did learn it all). Learning guitar isn't like reading a really long book, where even though it's long there is an end.

My suggestion to you at this point is to start to develop the things you've learned into musical components independent of the songs from which they come. If all you learn in how to play song X, or song Y, then you won't be able to play anything else but those songs. It's great to learn songs and learn from songs, but I think you would do yourself a great service by starting the process (which is a life long process) of deconstructing songs and figuring out what makes it work.

Take a song you already know--take your best song. Figure out the mapping/reasoning of the melody lines or lead lines. If the song is in G then take the lines that are over the G chord out of that song and commit them to memory of a G chord, not just the G chord in That song. That way you can play that line over any G chord in any song (if it fits the new song).

You want to be able to apply these ideas to different contexts/songs. Figuring out how to pull lines out of a song and get them under your fingers so well that you can go into them and out of them from different points.

If the songs you are learning have the same of similar chord progression (you said you've spend a lot of time in G, I be willing to bet that the progressions are more similar than different) then try and start to mix and match the lines you already know from each of those songs into one song.

Here is my abbreviated list of things to consider for your next step:
    Pull lines (starting with ones you already know) out of the context from which they come and begin to see them related to a specific chord.
    Learn the Nashville number system
    Familiarize yourself with the basic caged shapes as well as the basics of actual chord construction (which is not the same thing as constructing chord progressions).
    Once you have the basic caged shapes committed to memory and have a basic understanding of chord construction, then you can take lines that you already know and play them in all the different caged shapes. This will be the way to unlocking the entire fretboard. The steps after this (now you're dealing with advanced concepts) would be connecting different caged shapes in different ways as a song moves through its progression.

Small bites and chew. It's not a race, but you are well on your way and it appears to me that from the things you've learned it's time to start understanding the creative process of music and applying these ideas in different ways. However don't stop learning songs the way you have began to learn them already. Take what you know already and deconstruct it.

11. myersth

myersth TDPRI Member

@screaming eagle. i understand what ur getting at but on that i failed music theory class in high school. i couldnt understand anything. maybe being more developed now i can make heads or tails of it.

12. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Learning how music works now will make your journey much easier and more fun.

13. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

Great job Iam 5 months its not easy,I know basic chords can play parts of songs, Just keep playing every day

screaming eagle iam going to use this advice also this will help me 2

14. upinthemteles

upinthemteles Tele-Meister

sounds great, work on your major scale a lot. Can you play it in a couple octaves in several keys? Practice the minor pentatonic too, learn its "boxes". Practice picking cleaning and with a good tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.