1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Selecting capacitors with an SPDT switch

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Battle Axe, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Battle Axe

Battle Axe TDPRI Member

I want to put an SPDT switch in a DIY pedal to select between 2 capacitors and I came up with this...

Capacitor Switch 2.jpg

I thought that there must be a better way and Google came up with something like this...

Capacitor Switch.jpg

Supposedly, this second way will produce no pop because the circuit is never broken. Will this actually work, or will I be running both capacitors in series?

2. Hachiko

Hachiko TDPRI Member

Could you give the schematic/pedal you want to implement this on? You could probably get it to work fine with a pulldown resistor or you could wire your switch to add a 2nd capacitor in parallel with your first, that's depending on which cap value you desire.

Example: Pos 1: switch open, 22uf
    Pos 2: switch closed, 44uf (22uf//22uf)

Also, for ease of reading, you can look into software like jSchem or other to make schematics.

3. Battle Axe

Battle Axe TDPRI Member

Thanks for trying to help, but I set it up on a breadboard and tested with a DMM and it works!

Capacitor switch schematic.jpg

I tested the capacitors individually, then put them into the circuit and tested in/out and got the exact same readings. I was doubtful before doing the test because everything I was reading about path of least resistance was telling me that it was not absolute.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.