Selecting a humbucker for my $100 Epi LP

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Royal Tele, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

I’ve got one of the $100 Epi LP Special’s that my local GC stocked awhile back. Came with the lightning bolt wraparound and a pair of Epi P90’s. It’s been my beater guitar. I ended up covering it with beer caps and putting a horseshoe on it. Did some pickup changes along the way. I’ve recently taken all the crap off the body, and refinished it in metallic blue. I also replaced the tuners with some $30 Wilkinson’s and replaced the bridge with a $30 Wilkinson lightweight aluminum wraparound. Overall, with the body being pretty thin, and the lightweight aluminum hardware, it resonates very nicely. But it doesn’t have a lot of “body” or “meat” acoustically when you play it. I want to go with a hotter humbucker bridge pickup. Due to the “thin” sound the guitar inherently has, I was mainly considering a DiMarzio Super Distortion, since the Super Distortion has such an emphasis on lows and mids. Does this seem like a logical approach to resulting in a balanced hot humbucker tone? Should I consider any other humbucker models? Thoughts overall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Have you tried a set of better P90s? The ones that come with those are pretty dark and muddy. I've been wanting to try a better set in mine.

Shuster likes this.
  3. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Yeah, I did a really nice set of vintage style P90’s for a bit. They were much better, but I’ve come to realize that P90’s just aren’t my thing. I’ve got really nice vintage PAF types in my other guitars, and really like them. Definitely set on going with a hotter bridge humbucker in this Epi. (Already routed for it.)

4. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

I want to see pics of with the bottle caps on it. And I say no Dmarzios ever;).

5. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

LocoTex, stevemc and Cheshiergrin like this.
  6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

What music do you play? If you like high output, Guitar Madness on eBay has an awesome Dirty Digits model which is like Gibson's Dirty Fingers.

They also have the GM Hot Alnico 5 which is similar to the Seymour Duncan JB. The seller is very knowledgeable, you can ask for suggestions base on a sound you have in mind.

I skipped the tone circuit on mine, but you can also use a no load tone pot.

7. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

I play mostly classic rock stuff. 60’s and 70’s style stuff most of the time. I went ahead and ordered a DiMarzio double cream Super Distortion this morning. Found a deal I couldn’t pass up. A lot of my guitar heroes used them, so I think it will end up being what I’m looking for.

I’ll post some more pics and maybe a sound clip or two when I get the new pickup and get it installed.

littlebadboy likes this.
  8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've been doing LP Jr builds using GFS bodies. Been putting Tonerider Alnico IIs in them. Great, all around humbucker. Everyone who plays one is blown away by the tone. They're relatively cheap too - if you shop around you can find them for around $50 new including shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050UOUIS/?tag=tdpri-20

Royal Tele likes this.
  9. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Looking good! Love the color.

And being a Texan, I'm gratified to see you used some Shiner bottle caps!

Royal Tele likes this.
  10. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

11. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

www.dragonfireguitars.com

Awesome pickups, lots of choices. I've used hexbuckers (shreddy, ibanez-esque), gatebuckers(think seymour duncan Pearly Gates), and vintage alnico-5 PAF style. You can't go wrong for that little money.

Royal Tele and Andy Summers like this.
  12. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

I seriously considered a Seymour Duncan JB. One key thing that appealed to me there was the alnico magnet. (I typically go with vintage style alnico PAF types. So a hot alnico sounded very cool.) In the end, I chose to grab the DiMarzio Super Distortion instead for three main reasons:
    1. All my 70’s classic rock heroes used them in LP’s through Marshalls, which is my application as well. So I figured it would likely be a solid combo.
    2. With the whole trademarked double cream bobbin thing available only through DiMarzio, I chose the Super Dist because I really wanted that look on this guitar (to contrast with the deep metallic blue).
    3. I found a killer deal on a double cream Super Distortion that I simply couldn’t pass up.

I wish that trademark thing on the double cream bobbin humbuckers would be ended. It’s pretty stupid in my opinion. Brilliant on DiMarzio’s part. But stupid overall.

13. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

Concept view... pickup arrives tomorrow. Will show more pics when it’s totally done.

14. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

Well, here it is in its final state. I’m pleased with how it turned out. And the Super Distortion in the bridge just screams through my Super Lead. Love the sound. I *might* get a LP Jr style pickguard in tortoise cut to go over the neck pocket area. Not sure. Kinda like the “not perfect” vibe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.