Select vs. Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by pcasarona, Jun 25, 2015.

1. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Hi all,

First time poster to this forum. Just wondered if you guys could educate me on what constitutes a Custom Shop vs. other limited addition factory runs. I have a 2013 Carved Top Tasmanian Blackwood Telecaster Select HS. I was told by someone at Fender that they made around 75 of these before they ran out of quality figured Blackwood from their supplier. MIne is highly figured and I love how the finish changes with different amounts of light.

I know that these were very special guitars, but not sure if they were made in the Custom Shop or not. Anyone own one or have additional information?

Thanks much,

Cas

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

LPTyler and gitarjoe like this.
  2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Wow. Nice looking guitar.

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

4. BMor

BMor Tele-Meister

They weren't made in Fender CS

B. M.

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I think the Select series are gorgeous guitars with great specs. I seriously considered getting one.
    While they are not made in the Custom Shop they are still very high quality.
    I'm a broken record with this but I believe Fender has done some of it's best work on it's production guitars in the last 3 to 4 years, particularly the AV series and the lines like the Select.
    Custom Shop or not your guitar is beautiful.

6. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Burnt Beans - Thanks so much. I feel the same way. I was just curious as to where/how these were made. With the carved tops, select materials and finishes, and extremely limited production numbers, I wondered if they could be manufactured on the regular production line. Maybe with modern technology, CNC machines, and production methods it is not that difficult. I would love to take a factory tour as well as to see the custom shop, but I don't know if Fender even does tours. I know Taylor guitars and others do.

Cas

7. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

I had one. Bought it from Sweetwater. I loved it. Mine was a Carved Maple Top. These are very nice guitars. If I remember correctly, it had a 10-14 compound neck with medium jumbo frets. Set up and played like a dream.

Very solid construction. I ended up putting a set of Barden’s in it with a 4 way Fender switch. I wish I would have/could have kept it but I sold it to fund a Custom Shop Nocaster.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Blackstratboy

Blackstratboy TDPRI Member

Custom shop gives you a vintage sounding guitar with an aged feel , while select series gives you a new guitar with exotic wood, flamed... But not sounding good in IMOP. Depends on the sound and style you demand.

Here is my 2015 CS 1960 Tele Custom
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1435832037.978285.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1435832107.936358.jpg

gitarjoe and Frito-Man like this.
  9. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

I don't know man. I think a quality guitar can sound great if you coax it a bit. Amp has more to do with it than anything IMHP. It sounded great trough my Black Face, Tweed, and Marshall.

I do love me some Custom Shop Fender but, wish I would have kept my select. It was a very unique guitar that did not really catch on. People said, "That is really not a Telecaster". But it was nice.

I have two Custom Shop Strats and one CS Tele. Will keep them forever.

10. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

Are the Magnificent 7 cognac burst and/or Light ash considered custom shop or select? nice combos of figured neck without relic finish, which is what I prefer.

11. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

The Select series were pretty much an attempt to replicate Custom Shop build on the factory line, more or less, with exotic woods and, supposedly, great care and attention to the build. My wife has a Select Tele from the first year they were offered, and I have to admit that it is an incredible Tele. Alas, I have never owned a Custom Shop to be able to compare it to but I have compared it to my American Standard and a couple of others I have and it is way above any of them for build quality and sound. Just my $0.05...

thessandman likes this.
  12. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

I had a Select Stratocaster and own a Custom shop Telecaster....both are beautiful guitars. I guess its apples/oranges but the tele just feels and plays like no other guitar I ever owned.

thessandman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.