1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Seems to be Billy G Inspired...

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Unionjack515, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

A black double-bound has always been on my short list to add to the collection. I check here and there for interesting examples. I have been most tempted by a Mario Martin that has showed up a couple times on Reverb but never pulled the trigger, thinking maybe someday I’d just have him build me one to spec instead. The backlog at this point is getting close to unbearable...he’s out almost two years.

So. Yesterday I took a stroll around online and quite frankly, I don’t even remember my search string. But this one popped up and it’s interesting to say the least! I negotiated well and got a fair price in my eyes, and I bought it with the intent of using it as a project guitar. I really dig the seemingly really well-done pinstriping and especially the text on the back—paintwork was all done by MJT and whoever they use for pinstriping apparently. I do remember reading early on in the MJT timeline that they left automotive painting to start their guitar finish business, so the pinstriping connection makes sense. Anyway. I am not a fan of the skull and crossbones inlays, nor the Fender branding (I’m assuming this is a Warmoth neck, and who knows where the body came from), so I’m planning to swap the neck out for something I’ll custom spec (possibly from Mario and Guitar Mill). I’m thinking quartersawn roasted flame maple with a Brazilian board. The bridge is a Callaham, which I tend to use on my Teles anyway, so I’ll stick with that. We’ll see how the pickups sound before I swap the neck—perhaps blasphemy, but I’ve never been a P-90 in the neck position of a Tele guy. So depending on the routing situation, I may look at other options there too. Aside from the standard Tele neck pickup, I really like the middle position sound I can get from a low-wind PAF-style humbucker in that spot in combination with a fairly standard Tele bridge pickup. Maybe I’ll even go Esquire and just eliminate the neck pickup altogether...then we’re really in BFG-land.

upload_2021-4-11_7-32-20.png
    upload_2021-4-11_7-32-35.png

2. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

That is one sweeeett looking Tele...Wow. Love to get a Double bound relic Tele. Congrats!

Unionjack515 likes this.
  3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I would leave it the way it is, I love it! Nice score!

Unionjack515 likes this.
  4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I dig it...that is :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:!

Unionjack515 likes this.
  5. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, that does just scream Billy G.

And I do not envy your range of choices...good luck with that.

Unionjack515 likes this.
  6. Unionjack515

You mean for the neck?

7. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

ALL of it...neck, p’ups, the whole shebang...

the range of choices is great, I just would not want to have to do the choosing.

Unionjack515 likes this.
  8. Unionjack515

Big part of the fun of interchangeable parts though! Though I do have to admit, I don’t tend to swap much once I’ve put something together, aside from pickups.

9. Unionjack515

Got my quote from Guitar Mill for a neck today and told them to move forward—

-7.25-9.5” compound radius
    -Quartersawn roasted flame maple
    -Brazilian rosewood board, slab
    -clay dots
    -no nut installed
    -11/32” tuner holes (will probably use Kluson Supremes...my standard)
    -1 11/16” nut width
    -6105 nickel silver fretwire
    -heavy rolled edges
    -gloss nitro finish
    -medium relic
    -black headstock, unpolished
    -21 frets
    -‘60s Oval C shape
    -heel truss rod adjustment

So kind of a mix of old and new, but these are the specs I’ve come to love. 16-20 weeks for that!! I’ll work on figuring out the pickup configuration and consequent pickguard choice in the meantime.

In other news, it turns out MJT didn’t have anything to do with the pinstriping/text, just the black finish. So...kudos to the artist. I’ll probably take some time to try and figure that out too. I’ll start by asking the original owner I suppose!

10. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

that's some fine pin striping there, sweet!

Unionjack515 likes this.
  11. Unionjack515

I found out today that this was done by Julio’s Kustom Pinstriping in Fresno CA. Seems to have a really good reputation and is very popular in central CA.

Guitar is on its way to me too!

Brian J. likes this.
  12. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That’s pretty sweet! I love it!

Unionjack515 likes this.
  13. Unionjack515

Got the guitar today and got it broken down. Kinda sloppy work all around except for the paint...which is the reason I bought it. I can address everything else. 5 tuners matching, 1 of the E’s was a recycled middle tuner instead. 3 missing pickguard screws. Loose strap pins. The skull fretboard markers were decals. The bridge plate was a bit misaligned. Fender neck plate with a micro tilt adjustment hole, neck without microtilt adjustment. Loose tuner ferrules. But did yield some usable parts...Callaham bridge and saddles. A nice Lollar bridge pickup and what appears to be a Gibson P90. Also looks like quality electronics were used under the control plate. I have no idea what brand the neck is but it was finished by MJT, so I should be able to re-sell it, same with the pickups if I choose to go in a different direction. Pickguard is just ok quality as are the other metal parts. I’m guessing since I’m going with a high-end neck, I’ll replace the hardware and pickguard too. So anyway, pleased with the purchase and got what I paid for...but no pleasant surprises. Ha!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.