Seems time to let go of our dog...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, May 4, 2019.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

This is why I put an end to buying pets.
    It gets to that point. I have 4 layer chickens that are definitely on the downside of their proliferation. They will soon start to die off. I’m not looking forward to this natural fact. I have a pond with goldfish and frogs. Not so much of a personal attachment there, but every living thing does reach that point, including you and I.

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think the cruelest part of having a beloved pet is that ultimately you outlive them. Good for you for having Pepper as long as you have. I hope he has a calm, comfortable passage.

Chinacat and TheGoodTexan like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

My dogs and my family say hi to you and yours and we are so glad you love Pepper and have taken great care of him.... so sorry for what is coming... but what a great life he has had... one of ours is 15 and the other 12... so, we know we are giving extra love as things could go at anytime... thanks for sharing... IMG_3393.jpg

Chinacat, flathd and TheGoodTexan like this.
  4. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

He bonded with my wife first.

The night we got him, we took him over to my in-laws house before taking him home. My wife and I were playing fetch with him and a tennis ball. There are no fences there, but we had already learned from him that he wasn’t going anywhere off the leash. It would rather just hang there next to you than run off.

I threw the ball far, and about the same time my wife stepped inside the house for a restroom break. Pepper came back to me with the ball, but then saw my wife walk into the house. He dropped the ball at my feet and took off running toward her. She got inside and shut the door before he got there. As I was jogging that direction too, Pepper arrived at the back door, turned around and sat on the doormat, and just... stayed. I called for him and showed him the ball, but he would not come. I walked up and petted him, showed him the ball. My FIL said, “He’s waiting on her.”

Sure enough, two mins later she came back out... Pepper picked up the ball and carried it out into the yard, and it was “game on” again.

(I may keep posting stories in this thread just for therapy for me. Not trying to bump for attention.)

unixfish, drlucky, Tele-beeb and 4 others like this.
  5. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

itis-time-to-go-was-i-a-good-boy-im-30597032.png

So sorry, man. Have been there and will be again.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  6. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I am so sorry.
    We have been here many times, it never gets easier.
    No eating or drinking is usually kidney failure, major organ failure being one of the things that happens when an underlying disease has gained control.
    I'm sure you know this.
    I hope you can be with him.
    Peace and strength.

7. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I’m so sorry friend-o. It sounds like Pepper found the family he deserved. I just went through this myself in September. It’s terrible, but all we can do is make them comfortable until they can’t be comfortable anymore. Sending love to you and the fam.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Pepper !

I hope the next few days/weeks go as easy as these things can go on all of you, Pepper especially .

Peace.

9. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

My Lab mixes Aspen and Juniper went about that same way.

Bless you for the care you gave Pepper, and bless Pepper for the care he took of you. Were it only that more things in this life were as beautiful, and as clear, as our relationships with our beloved dogs.

jglenn, Chinacat and TheGoodTexan like this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes. I’ve also come to understand it’s not disrespectful to the departed dog or forgetting them. There are so many dogs that need homes and rescuing another is a small way to pay forward everything the departed dog gave its family.

Chinacat, dkmw and TheGoodTexan like this.
  11. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear of Pepper's illness. If he's 13 that's a pretty good long life for a lab.
    My 8 yr old lab was very sick a couple of weeks ago, and he wouldn't eat, drink, and could hardly get up he was so weak. He had the same symptoms and was throwing up, and it came on fast, all in one day.
    The next morning I took him to the vet with a urine sample, and they found he had a bladder infection. I've been giving him antibiotics for a couple weeks and he's doing good now. I wish you and Pepper the best and hope you can be with him soon.

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

so sorry to hear , especially when they were so strong and vital, heres the best of wishes for him and your family TGT!

13. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

Best to you Tex. You’ll get through it. We always do. But it sucks to have to let them go. Give pepper a little scratch behind the ears for me.

14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry, TGT. What a wonderful companion- lucky dog, lucky family.

15. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like he’s been a great dog. I like most dogs, but Pepper sounds like he was special. I’ll be thinking about you guys.

16. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

Bentley and I send our send our love and support, ,,, hang on a sec, " what?, Bentley? are you kidding me?, no I'm not asking him if you can have the bones left in the yard.. " sorry about that Tex ,

Larry F, Chinacat and TheGoodTexan like this.
  17. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My heart goes out to you, all the more because my best girl is nearing the end. There are no words to express the feelings that well up when I hear from someone else going through this. I hope you can be there for Pepper at the end.

18. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

man, I hate news like this. So sorry, brother TGT.

19. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I don't think I ever burst out crying while reading a TDPRI thread before now. :( All the best to you and your wife, TGT.

20. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Pepper has lived a happy life surrounded with love . It is so heartbreaking that he must leave .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.