Seems ok to have last (21nd) fret too low?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ppg677, Jul 15, 2019.

1. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

I'm leveling a newly fretted neck right now. The last fret (21nd) is quite a bit lower than the rest of the board.

Now I can sand away and make the whole board level. I'll remove quite a bit from the other 20 frets.

But why not just leave the last fret a bit low? My simple reasoning tells me that fret buzz can't be caused by the last fret being lower than the rest??

2. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

I would leave it, it’s not going to cause any problems if it’s lower than the others. How often do you use that fret anyway;)? I’ve had that issue too. Who wants to spend 30 minutes sanding away all your other frets?

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

If it’s a little low that’s okay a lot of luthiers make the last 5 or so a little lower. Especially on set necks like Les Pauls and acoustics where a hump can develop.
    Physically if it’s the last fret you’re right there’s nowhere on the fret board to buzz

4. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Replacing the low fret with a taller fret would be much smarter than grinding down the other twenty frets. I'd just leave it as is.

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. I have an Epi SG I'm working on for a friend. Last five frets are level - the wound strings ring on them. Yes, he does play up there and notices.

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.