Seems like I’m doing this backwards...

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by RollingBender, Mar 29, 2020.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

My “gain” knob is the “volume” on an AB763.
    My “volume” knob would normally be called “master volume” from RobRob’s site...the Trainwreck Type-3 Post Phase Inverter Master Volume (PPIMV)

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
  2. Pick_n_Strum

Pick_n_Strum Tele-Meister

Nice - I put the Trainwreck Type 3 in my 5e3. Comes in handy when my little man is sleeping.

I asked because I really liked the overdrive sound in the clip above.

3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

That sounds like a job for a decade box.

Your builds look great. I'm a big fan.

4. RollingBender

Thanks a lot @JuneauMike...
    Because of your post, I went and bought a resistor and a capacitor substitution box. Probably should have bought those years ago anyway.

something is definitely wonky with how the reverb interacts with the rest of the circuit. If I pull the reverb tube, that wierd shape on the oscilloscope disappears.

5. RollingBender

I’ve been meaning to post an update for this project. Got a little “inspiration” to do that today.

I’ve been gigging with this amp for a year now, 4-5 shows a month. I am absolutely loving it. Ahead of the amp, I have an overdrive, chorus, delay, and wah but 80% of the time it’s just the guitar and amp. It has a great chime/jangle tone with a bit of growl when you dig in with the gain set just below half way.

Originally, it had a BJ spec OT. I noticed that the PT was running quite hot and suspected the undersized OT as a contributor so I replaced it with an 18 watt spec OT. That didn’t seem to effect the heating issue much. I think I am just 1 preamp tube over what the PT wants to run. I switch it all the way off on breaks…so far, so good.

…until today… I was practicing at lowish volume before the rest of the band showed up for a rehearsal and noticed the amp start losing tone and getting quieter. I walked around back and saw one of the power tubes replating!! I quickly shut it off and when the tubes had cooled, the naughty tube had broken.
    B9FAF2FA-AA58-4E8E-82F0-462467965D86.jpeg
    The PT did not feel hot at all right after I shut it down. I replaced both power tubes with a pair of old tubes from a Baldwin organ donor and it started right up with no replating.

I’ll open it up tomorrow and check things out, replace the power tubes and check the bias.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.