Seeking the best replacement speaker for a Rivera Era blackface Fender Champ

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by chubbsdarcy, Sep 24, 2016.

1. chubbsdarcy

chubbsdarcy Tele-Meister

Hi guys, this question has been asked hundreds of times I'm sure however I must ask once again.
    I have an '82 Fender Champ from the Rivera blackface era and I am seeking a great replacement speaker.
    I am fond of Weber's vintage line however according to Weber's site many of the vintage series 8" speakers aren't made to fit in blackface Champs. I am hoping that some of you folks might be able to shed some light on what will and will not fit in an early eighties blackface Rivera era Fender Champ like mine.
    I am hoping to gain as much clean headroom and volume from my little champ as possible, knowing full well that I can only ask for so much.
    Any suggestions you have to offer are welcome my friends.
    Thank you for your time!
    Darcy

2. strat1

strat1 TDPRI Member

Why not a Jensen C8R? I have one in my Gibson GA5 and it sounds great. For $40 you can't go wrong. I'm a fan of the new Jensen line. They are solid speakers that pair nicely with Fender amps.

chubbsdarcy likes this.
  3. chubbsdarcy

chubbsdarcy Tele-Meister

Thanks strat1, gonna check it out!

4. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Eminence hemp cone 8H

I think it's loud for an 8, & will bring the low mids to life. Amp could sound way bigger

5. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I thought that when Weber mentioned that some of those speakers don't fit they were referring to the 1964 transitional black Tolexed 5F1, which is actually a tweed Champ that was made in black for the first part of the year when Fender revamped the color scheme.

6. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

WGS G8C. :cool:

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Fwiw, if the amp has an 8" speaker and a single 6V6 it is not a Rivera era amp but rather a Champ from the last production of what began in 1964 for the Champ. The Rivera era "Champ" is the Champ II...2 X 6V6's with a 10" speaker, a preamp that is somewhat like the Normal channel in an AB165 Bassman, and a PI/output action out of a BF Pinceton...hot little amps.
    Eminence for a speaker??? The Weber ceramics will fit in that amp. Since you are looking for big and clean, check those out. I have a vintage Jensen P8RS in my '71 Champ....huge sounds but admittedly on the dark side. Lucky for me I have a bass cut pot on my guitar. It sounds great through a '67 Bassman cab with OEM Jensen C12N's.....that sort of defeats the "little package" thing, though.

MilwMark and Bendyha like this.
  8. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Weber Sig ceramic in my SF Vibro Champ, and I've been very happy with it. I'm intrigued by the WGS options, as I've been satisfied with their 10s and 12s, but I don't see this Weber going anywhere.

9. chubbsdarcy

chubbsdarcy Tele-Meister

Mine was made in 1981, similar to the one in this article:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19660-ask-amp-man-pumping-up-an-80s-fender-champ

10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Idea!

While you're replacing the speaker have the hard-wired speaker connection changed to a 1/4 inch jack. Then, try plugging that Super Champ into a good 1 x 12 (or larger) speaker cabinet.

You will be AMAZED at the sound that little amp can put out.

Edit: Not a Super Champ. Never mind...

11. Wally

Chubb, that is a 5-watt Champ...single 6V6, 8" speaker....it is not a Rivera design but rather is identical to the first BF Champ in 1964....schematic AA764. Fender went back to the BF cosmetics in the last year or two of production just prior to the Rivera era amps.

12. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Weber Blue Pup went into my SC super upgrade....

I actually swapped it out of my modified 68 silverface champ it was killer in that too....but sold that amp to a harp playing friend....

13. Wally

Blue Pup Alnico or ceramic? I have played my SC through a Blue Pup Ceramic, which is a dead ringer sonically for the 1996 Celestion made in ENGLAND G10's....which sound nothing like the made in China G10, imde.

14. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

15. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I have a Weber 8A125 in my '68 Drip Edge Champ. I've been very pleased with it.

DSCN0736.JPG

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  16. vrdyer

vrdyer TDPRI Member

Rivera used EVM 10L in most of his modded amps. You can buy a reissue EV. You might try a recto series Mesa Boogie Thiele cab to see if you like EVs. You might also try a JBL.

17. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

18. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Weber Signature alnico ribbed. Perfect speaker, more efficient than stock, very good response to eqs, minimal farting until.you go stupid on vol/bass. Or if you like more of a braaap tone, straight cone. Also comes in ceramic which I haven't tried. The Sig flat tone comes in the EC 5F1 I had marked 'Fender Special Design' - awesomly 'in your face' - and the ribbed Sig I had in 78 SFVC - awesome too, bit smoother but still alnico magic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.