Seeking Tele with rosewood fingerboard, blonde body, white pickguard

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by krp312, Apr 13, 2016.

1. krp312

krp312 TDPRI Member

Hi TDPRI,

Longtime lurker looking for a new geetar. This would be a perfect example of what my fav Tele aesthetic is. It's been years since my last guitar-related GAS flare-up, 13 years to be exact. I'm trying to play catch-up, but any help towards finding a guitar that looks like that would be most appreciated. My main curiosities are what models, what years, what countries-of-manufacture are best, or at least good places to start looking/googling/demoing (I will demo everything until I find something that sounds and feels great). A few more things:
    • I have an early 00s '52 RI whose sound I love. I'm hoping that my new Tele would also sound awesome, so I'm gonna assume that the $300 Squiers that have that color scheme are no good?
    • I'll be selling that '52 RI to afford the new Tele
    • I'm open to frankensteining so if you think getting a rosewood fingerboard and bolting it onto my '52 RI would be a good idea, let me know!
    • Also open to Fender copies
    Thanks in advance,
    krp

2. krp312

krp312 TDPRI Member

And my budget would be approximately $1300.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  3. motmot

motmot TDPRI Member

I've got an '03 Highway One that looks just like that, that I'm very happy with.

Attached Files:

4. motmot

motmot TDPRI Member

Was about $650 new, in '03, IIRC.

5. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

American Vintage 64 Reissue. Maybe you could find a used ne that would fit your budget. I'd risk mentioning the 59 Thinskin Teles, maybe Wildwood will bring them back.

The Squier STD has that blonde/rosewood color scheme. Never played one but some people have those and dig it, even though they aren't as popular and praised as the Classic Vibes. Totally subjective.

6. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

American Vintage 64 Reissue, fantastic guitar

[​IMG]

PaulieBoy likes this.
  7. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

MJT might be worth a look for the body and neck and perhaps a set of the Fender 64 pickups.....or as stated above hold out for a used
    Fender American vintage 64.

8. krp312

krp312 TDPRI Member

beautiful. the color though, it looks whitish? i heard that blonde is an evolution from white from staining of cigs and stuff, but how would you describe the color of your guitar?

what's MJT?

9. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Question: if you love your 00s 52 RI, why sell it?

Also, 300 dollar Squiers can be awesome and 2000 dollar PV64s can be total duds....out of the box/from the store.

Most teles with no real structural issues can easily be set up to be awesome to your hands and ears through your rig.

I recommend going out and playing a few and getting an idea of what you absolutely can't live without.

An AllParts TRO-C neck and a vintage blonde CV50s Squier body with a white pickguard and nice pickups will probably get you all the way there.

The fender classic player 60s tele also looks a lot like that but costs a good bit.

If I was in your situation, I'd build with USACG or Musikraft .

Best results and full customization that way.

Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Iago likes this.
  10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

....I'm hoping my 60s classic in Olympic white will look like this in 15 years time... it's yellowing a bit and the board is really dark so it's getting there but might need to put it on a sunbed to speed it up ;)

11. krp312

krp312 TDPRI Member

long story short -- selling it to get money to buy the guitar i've always wanted. the 52 ri is sooo good, but i wanna go for more. if it's not doable, i won't do it.

your approach is very much like a friend of mine. once he heard that i might go for a custom build from g&l, he freaked out, told me that i can get/mod/assemble a great sounding guitar for cheaper, and that custom is a risk bc of sound. i'm definitely going to look into your approach.

from a guitar-building perspective, what parts dictate the overall sound of the guitar? been playing for 18 years and it's still sort of a mystery to me.

12. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Pickups will he the voice of your guitar along with your amp...those should be carefully researched.

Wood should be selected for looks/durability/authenticity and FEEL.

You just gotta know what YOU like.

Heavy/light/crazy grain/straight grain/1-2-3 piece body, fretboard composition, neck thickness/nut width.

Go pick up many different guitars, teles to acoustics to whatever and take note of things you dig about individual types.

That will get an idea for your ideal guitar actually forming.

13. krp312

krp312 TDPRI Member

as far as stuff like neck radius, neck shape, nut width, stuff like that, i think i'm pretty sure what i'd want. i thought that wood has a lot to do with sound though?

14. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Good luck with that $#!& storm lol

It does. But not in any sort of predictable way.

YMMV

Pickups and amp.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.