seeking multi-effects wisdom

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by thunderbyrd, Dec 10, 2019.

1. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

It's hard to fool yourself: you'll know) But if you don't think about it...
    Macrograts is right, the G5 has more effects visible... but it could be that three is enough, and the included univibe isn't bad a all...

2. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I would recommend a pedalboard with a programmable loop switcher. Think of it as a custom multi-effects unit that gives you anything you want. But, if you don't want to put that effort into it, then I'd go Boss GT-1000 route, Helix or perhaps a TC G-System. If none of those fool you, then build your own board with a switcher:

fullsizeoutput_2bd.jpeg

jddub440 likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 Yup, this is by far the best direction IMO. You get to select specific effects instead of being stuck with some you like and some you don't like. Grab a piece of plywood, attach some pedals, patch cables and a power supply and enjoy what you already have.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  4. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have had an RP80 for quite a while. I bought it partly for travel (one box, headphone jack), and partly to try to decide what effects I really needed. I have never tried a high quality multi, but I have to say that I would want it to have a better interface than this thing. Once you have your chosen effects programmed, it’s fine, but I find it fiddly to get each setting where you want in the first place. (I am not recommending this cheapo for you, just pointing out an issue with multi FX.)

MilwMark likes this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree with the traditional separate effects pedal board except for in live applications.
    I don't want to have to troubleshoot a bunch of different and separate connections (plus the power supply) when I'm suddenly getting no signal on stage.

Also multis are more compact and travel easier and take up less real estate on the floor. The ones I use, anyway

6. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

My friend recently got a Helix Multi-effects Floor Processor. In Canada they cost over $2000.

He gave me a demonstration at his computer workstation, through studio-quality speakers. And yeah, it sounds good and has lots of features. He likes the AC30 model but it didn't sound like an AC30 to my ears. It sounded kinda washed out. I just smiled and kept quiet.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  7. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Thunder, I'm trying the same thing, and what I have put together is the Headrush Gigboard, 2x Headrush FRFR 108's. With the Gigboard you can build your own rig on a big screen, coolest pedal I have ever played with!!

8. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I’m a huge boss fan and a huge pedal fan but I have a zoom g2. It’s fiddly but once you get the hang of it it’s highly functional. If I’m playing a musical I’ll programme the presets song by song. +3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Boss ms-3 is great, is made for those who wants to use a multieffect with an amp, toys like Helix and similar have more sense if you play straight into p.a. not that you can't use them into an amp but if you don't need all the amp. simulation it makes less sense buying an Helix.....

10. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

The Boss ME-80 is all knobs and switches, no menus. Headphones with cab sims for those quiet times alone.

11. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

There are a bunch of new multi effects that are really amazing, which I would love to have but can't afford. I use a Digitech RP500 I got for 50 bux. It can be set up as 5 stompboxes, (RP1000 is twice as many) and you can choose from hundreds of classic and not-so classic pedals. It's great for trying out different effects, as someone above said. Built-in expression pedal that's programmable to control many different FX parameters.

I use it live and in the studio. It's much easier to program using their computer software with the unit connected to your computer via USB. Because you have to manually switch through all 100 presets to get to the one you want, I highly recommend listening to each factory preset to hear the varieties of sounds in there, and then erasing them all and building your own set of 5 or 6 presets.

It also has built-in amp and cab sims, which can be turned off in stompbox mode, and can be used directly into the PA or studio board.

There was a recent shakeup at Digitech, and the RP500 and -1000 are now discontinued, but you can find them on E-Craigs-Reverb-Bay-List.

12. boppy

boppy Tele-Meister

I have a BOSS ME-50 that I use as a backup/Grab 'N Go.
    It could easily replace the 30 or so regular pedals I have.
    OP should check out something in the ME 50-80 series.

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Though I no longer stomp on anything, I had good luck with the Boss ME series (50,70,80).
    I don’t do scrolling/editing.
    You CAN program all of these, but I didn’t.
    Anyways, they’re resonable new, and $100-150 on CL.

14. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I also concur on the Zoom thing...although in my case I have an older B2 (bass) unit. There’s a guitar version of that called a G2. That series was out in the mid-to-late 2000s, I think; it’s about two generations discontinued now, so should be pretty cheap at GC used online, or if you haunt CL.

I bought mine because I wanted to get a cheap bass rig together quickly and wanted something that could emulate a Marshall Superbass tone, with compression and noise reduction and a tuner built in, and which had enough output signal to drive my rack power amp directly. Check, check, check, check and check. Works great for that. And it’s in a stout aluminum and rubber enclosure with quality knobs and jacks and a simple two-character LED display. Navigation is simple.

As a bonus, some of the other bass amp models work well for my other instruments with some tweaking: I get a nice snarly beefy edge-of-clean guitar tone using the Bassman 100 model and some Zoom spring reverb, and a gritty low-fi garage rock tone with the Acoustic 360 model. Different tweaking of the 360 with spring reverb sounds good with my six-string lap steel.

With bass, the B2 works well for recording direct too. I don’t really need its speaker emulation to get the sound I like, but each of its amp models has three different speaker emulation settings.

These units have a couple of flexible
    EQ options (a one-knob brightness control within each amp model, plus an EQ module that allows you to select two-band parametric, two band shelving or six-band graphic. There’s a good selection of chorus, reverb, flanging, tremolo and delay, some emulated distortion pedals (the B2 has a tube screamer, Fuzz Face, Boss ODB-3...)

A G2 would be worth checking out if you can find one. I’ve seen them on GC used for around $40.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.