Seeking a decent PA Mixing Board

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by The Angry Possum, Jan 5, 2020.

1. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

I need a recommendation on a good PA mixing board with no power, and at least 8 XLRs. My Budget is $300-400, effects are a must, no rack mount board. I had a nice Peavey PV10, but It just f... g crapped out at last nites gig and blew out my crown power amp also, so I'm looking for something similiar to it.... In looking, I'm currently fancying a Behringer XENYX X2222USB USB Mixer with Effects. Any input is highly welcomed. I'll be using powered speakers with the new board that I get. Im done with seperate power amps. Again any input is highly appreciated here.

2. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I recommend a digital mixer. The XR18 is widely used. The extra capabilities are awesome and worth extra $. Tons of rack equipment at your fingertips. Recording to DAW. Save your final settings for each venue. 6 Aux sends. Dual Tech 21 Sansamps for direct guitar input.

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Steer clear of Behringer - I had three pieces of gear from them which died and no-one will fix it or sell spares. While working they were fine. One was an expensive Quadgate clone. Just stopped - lights on, no-one home. Lots of soldered surface mount components.

If you don't need fancy recording outs etc I'd buy a Yamaha board. I have a ten year old s/h Yamaha MG124CX which has 8 xlr plus two stereo input strips. Lexicon effects, compression on 4 inputs. Very versatile outputs. Very simple to use. Effects in/out including footswitchable.

Sounds great, bulletproof and Yamaha will repair and sell spares based on previous equipment. Used it for three years in temps up to and over 40 C (100 F) for hours. Everything still works perfectly. Prior to me it was owned by recording/rehearsal studio in a room.

Previously my old band used a Yamaha 24 channel and it had a preamp chip replaced after 5 years of regular use - cost $40.

The Angry Possum likes this.
  4. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

Yamaha MG16XU - I've used mine for years and it's perfect. Used it for my 4 pcs bluegrass band everyone mic'd through a Bose L1 PA system. It was flawless, decent reverb and each channel has compression. They have 10 & 12 channel versions but I've learned always get more than you think you need if possible.

5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Yamahas are very well regarded. Check the used market. They seem to always be available for cheap, as people upgrade to newer digital boards with more features.

6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Found this Carvin for $100. The band went all digi & were basically giving all the PA gear away. Came in case. There is always great deals on PA equipment on CL as everybody upgrade. Turned out to be an excellent board. carvin (2).jpg

7. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

I have a Soundcraft Ui16 which works very well for a duo, but it picks up unwanted static noise. This is intermittent and I suspect comes from various radio devices in use at our venues.

I reverted to my Allen and Heath Zed10FX which, like Apple, just works.

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on a Yamaha MG16XU

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/mixers/mg_series_xu_model/index.html

i have one as a project mixer. Its really nice. Really good fx, compressor on some channels, usb audio interface.

I was also very, very impressed with a Line6 Stagescape digital unit a group used at a pickup gig I was asked to play at Xmas. Really nice. All in one with no hidden ipad costs. Great in built screen interface. This is the future. I’d be saving for one.

https://uk.line6.com/stagescape-m20d/

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  9. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

I ended up getting the Yamaha MG12 mixing board. Thanks everybody. Appreciate the responses.

10. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Yup. I picked up a great PA system on CL from a guy who switched over to one of those skinny Bose towers.

studio and bftfender like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.