Seeing the unbelievable

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
Many have seen this, I first saw it as a child in the 60's and it defied my logic.
Here is the account from a guy who made it.

Around me I could hear concrete cracking. I started back to the car to get the dog, but was thrown before I could reach it. The car itself began to slide from side to side on the roadway. I decided the bridge was breaking up and my only hope was to get back to shore.
On hands and knees most of the time, I crawled 500 yards [1,500 ft; 460 m] or more to the towers… My breath was coming in gasps; my knees were raw and bleeding, my hands bruised and swollen from gripping the concrete curb… Toward the last, I risked rising to my feet and running a few yards at a time… Safely back at the toll plaza, I saw the bridge in its final collapse and saw my car plunge into the Narrows.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Many have seen this, I first saw it as a child in the 60's and it defied my logic.

Around me I could hear concrete cracking. I started back to the car to get the dog, but was thrown before I could reach it. The car itself began to slide from side to side on the roadway. I decided the bridge was breaking up and my only hope was to get back to shore.
On hands and knees most of the time, I crawled 500 yards [1,500 ft; 460 m] or more to the towers… My breath was coming in gasps; my knees were raw and bleeding, my hands bruised and swollen from gripping the concrete curb… Toward the last, I risked rising to my feet and running a few yards at a time… Safely back at the toll plaza, I saw the bridge in its final collapse and saw my car plunge into the Narrows.

Amazing, yes. Most surprising is that we have film of the event. Today, thirty people would have their phones out and get it from all angles, but back then? The more mankind tries to tame and "mold" the world, the more opportunities we have to learn from our mistakes. (and keep making them)

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
The event would have been much uglier with heavy traffic.

The following happened nearly in my back yard, and to me is even scarier:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schoharie_Creek_Bridge_collapse

Imagine driving an interstate highway at night in the rain - bleary-eyed - and simply driving off into space. That haunts me...

With our infrastructure neglect, there are a few of these scenarios cooking every day. Waiting to happen.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
Amazing, yes. Most surprising is that we have film of the event. Today, thirty people would have their phones out and get it from all angles, but back then? The more mankind tries to tame and "mold" the world, the more opportunities we have to learn from our mistakes. (and keep making them)

The difference is, today, they'd still be on the bridge taking the video! :lol::oops::confused:

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I have more than 15,000 hours as an AF flyer. Looking out and seeing your number three engine on fire has a way of getting a person's attention. The good news is not all engine fires result in a crash...and mine didn't either.

Wow man!!! Now that's cool. Good for you, mate! Glad you were able to pull outta that ok. I've known a lot of pilots over the years, and some of the close calls they've told me about etc., lots of respect for you fliers.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I have more than 15,000 hours as an AF flyer. Looking out and seeing your number three engine on fire has a way of getting a person's attention. The good news is not all engine fires result in a crash...and mine didn't either.

Many years ago I learned an emergency landing gets you the nicest slow approach on a 727 to ORD you'll ever have, a nice visual with all the extra flashing lights lining the runway, and elite bus service from the plane to private space in the airport. It was more entertaining getting out of that room with all the people wondering why everything was delayed with good weather.

Two other things stood out. I confirmed I am better than average about not freaking out, and I was bummed it only got a $200 voucher vs a free trip voucher. On not freaking out, I wondered if the woman in seat next to me was always so quick to grab onto men she didn't really know.

That 727 when most were getting replaced seemed old and worn but I did not expect a front landing gear problem. Having that experience and being on a 737 Max's with captain bragging it was his first trip to the Caribbean on one I decided to be happy with middle aged planes.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Galloping Gertie! That's a fairly turbulent strip of water under there. Been through many times in my sailboat. One fall I came through in a thunderstorm, wind blowing hard, lightening striking around me... Not much I could do once it was on me but keep on keepin on!

This video is why you need to believe resonance/harmonic vibration matters in a guitar! That's all this is, steel and concrete reacting to sympathetic resonance.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted

ya...i've watched that one more than a few times in my life...it's surprising the engineers didn't realize the possibility of resonance.

BryMelvin

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Good times.

Had 2 engine failure landing at Lajes, No fire though, Just ran into flock of birds. Sat there 4 days waiting for 2 engines!

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I was bummed it only got a $200 voucher vs a free trip voucher

You also got the privilege of walking away from a jet they could actually reuse! :twisted:

Good times. Had 2 engine failure landing at Lajes, No fire though, Just ran into flock of birds. Sat there 4 days waiting for 2 engines!

Lajes is a tricky landing: steep cliff right at the threshold, crazy crosswinds even in clear weather, and often plenty of fog to make things exciting. Despite all that--there are many many worse places to wait on your broken jet to get fixed!

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
You also got the privilege of walking away from a jet they could actually reuse! :twisted:

Lajes is a tricky landing: steep cliff right at the threshold, crazy crosswinds even in clear weather, and often plenty of fog to make things exciting. Despite all that--there are many many worse places to wait on your broken jet to get fixed!

Our cabin neighbor recently retired and towards the end of his career he used seniority to have a more sane sleep schedule and more boring things. I remembered when he was thrilled by how much more thrust the newer 7x7s had for mountainous airports or 777 features he liked. Then he changed to smaller planes flying to smaller US hubs. I chuckle at some of our Luddite posts here because that guy delayed a car purchase to get technology in a car like he came to appreciate in newer planes.