Seeing colors in music

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EllroyJames, Oct 6, 2019.

1. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Yes and no....

David L Burge promoted his "perfect pitch" course as color hearing.... but never intended it to be a 1:1 relationship between a tone and a particular color. In his ads he describes the notes to be "as unique and as obvious as seeing colors" and in his course he described an F# to be "vibrant, like the color red" while "Eb sounded soft... like the color blue"

People love taking the easy way out and thought he was saying F# was RED, Eb was Blue, etc... etc... That was NEVER what he was trying to explain.

I know two people with perfect pitch... and neither relate it to color. The mention of color puts a puzzled look in their eye... to them a G is a G... nothing else sounds like a G. It is so obvious to them, they can't figure out why we don't all hear it.

Absolutely... when it comes to pitch the math represents the "relative association", not the absolute. Even a person with perfect pitch (absolute) will agree that relative pitch recognition is far more important than the gift they have. Simply recognizing the note does not tell you how they go together.

2. cat dude

cat dude TDPRI Member

Shuster likes this.
  3. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

That would be a Jimi Hendrix thing, I never of of it anywhere else. I have personal experience with dark verses light tones, spoiled vs ripe.

Nah to me this is a altered state of mind thing. Think what you will.

4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Mike Campbell talked about different guitars surrounding like different colors: Les Paul sounding red, Teles purple, etc.

57fenderstrat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.