Second Tele or Why two Teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by gnew, Jan 7, 2016.

1. gnew

gnew TDPRI Member

...or three or four...or I know how some of you are!

Jonesing a bit for something new--I have a Baja Tele, and a Strat...I've been thinking Gibson or clone--but I really love my Baja Tele. Or maybe a second strat....

If I was to get a second Tele--which one and why? Just wondering what you guys think...price range--700 or under preferably. I've got nothing against used or anything else.

Thanks.

gnew

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I vote for an Esquire or a thinline. If you have to ask why for either of those you aren't ready for them yet. ;)

3. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

I have a Baja and a Strat, too. I'd say buy a Gibson, but if you want another Tele, I vote for a Classic Series 50's in Sunburst.

4. JayJ

JayJ Tele-Afflicted

Find a Cabronita, in thinline form or solid body. The Fidel'trons are a perfect compromise between the thick sound of PAF's and the brightness and clarity of single coils. I really enjoy mine.

The downside, is that you will have to buy used.

5. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I almost always gig with a back up. It has to be a usable substitute. All other features are a matter of taste!

6. Plan9

Plan9 Tele-Meister

Another 50s Baja tele and strat owner here - I'm personally tempted to get a Jaguar (Squier VM prob). I can't really warm up to the Les Paul type, though that would be the sensible choice to round things out.

Oops - didn't actually address your question- I also like the 60s Baja - different sound, but don't know if the neck would be as nice.

7. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

It's like eating the whole box of chocolate. I know I shouldn't but I can't help myself.

8. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

2nd the Cabronita idea

9. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

single coil variants

single coil
    single coil
    variants thereof

humbuckers
    single coils
    variants thereof

humbuckers
    humbuckers
    variants

plus middle strat pickup

plus wiring options

that's a lot of potential guitars!

10. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Tele-Holic

It took me a long time to figure out that any tele will do,,and do it well,,
    They're all just like that???

11. Kashmir

Kashmir TDPRI Member

I have a Deluxe Tele now, with humbuckers. I have been looking hard at others to purchase. I highly recommend the Standard Tele. I recently tried several out, from MIC to MIA at $199 to $1999. For $599 it's a very good guitar. I believe the MIM guitars are exceptional quality for the money. By the way, the one guitar I have been trying to play is the BAJA classic player. How do like your BAJA? They sound really good on YouTube. I haven't been able to get one into my hands at a store to try however. Thanks and good luck with your search.

Ron

12. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

That's where I'm at. Working on Tele Variation #7. Different hardware, no two alike. Whatever you get, I'd suggest something that you don't already have.

13. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Second Tele or Why two Teles?

Why not?

14. craigster59

craigster59 Tele-Meister

15. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

it's always good to have a back up at the ready when a string breaks.
    I keep an Esquire on the 2nd stand.

16. Telegeekster

Telegeekster Tele-Meister

For $700 you could build yourself a nice one from parts... unless you really want the label for collector's or resale value.

17. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

even more if you count WRHB's, and more exotic combinations with P90's or Jazzmaster pickups

18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The Baja with the series pickups can get you in the humbucker LP tone area. So for a bang around LP option find a $50-$100 Epiphone Special II or Jr and mod in your favorite fancy humbucker(s). I have a Jr I put in a custom coil split pickup and it's a lot of fun. If you want a bigger budget option look at the Epiphone SG-G400.

Then look at the rest of the budget for an Esquire or the Jaguar suggestion ...
    That Jr got me into an Esquire build.... Eldred mod with Lindy Fralin Blues Hybrid pickup, and it's nice.

19. meehaja

meehaja Tele-Meister

I love my Baja, but its like a hammer, its a tool, its great at doing what it does, but it doesn't excite me. its my main guitar, but recently I've been on a Les Paul binge, before that it was semi's, now I'm all about the classical guitar but I'm rebuilding my squier with a paulownia body to be a live guitar that I can not worry about, but is also easy on my shoulder! Different guitars for different jobs! I wouldn't play my gold top in a dive bar or throw it in the back of the van, but I wouldn't try and play the semi distorted either!

20. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Mine seem to have different personalities, and I love pulling one out that I haven't played in a while. I would have never thought I'd be someone to have multiple guitars, let alone multiple telecasters, but I really do enjoy rotating them. And if there's one that seems to never get played for long, I sell it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.