Second guitar in the making... Opinions needed!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Guitarbrewer, Jul 31, 2020 at 2:53 PM.

1. Guitarbrewer

Guitarbrewer TDPRI Member

20200416_201946.jpg
    As usual I forgot to take pics in the beginning. But basically just lots of cutting, sanding and gluing. I believe the wood is birch. The dark parts are the same wood, but roasted in the kitchen oven. The slightly lighter parts are pine.
    Then a template was made, and the rough cut body was routed.

20200417_192940.jpg

Testing various options:

20200521_170054.jpg

20200525_144521.jpg

In the end I ended up with these active single-coils. Mostly since my previous build had humbuckers.
    It will also get a fishman piezo bridge.

20200729_090549.jpg

But my main question now, is... Go with these pickup rings or mount the pickups directly?
    20200729_090723.jpg

20200729_090636.jpg

20200729_090620.jpg

Direct mounting will need the holes to be cleaned up a bit, but it can be done I think. But I am also a bit hesitant about ruining the pickup threads. Then I got to thinking... wouldn't it be possible to have the screws from the back and use proper screws and springs, only longer? I tried searching but couldn't find any examples of this being done...

Not sure I want screws visible on the back either though... The easiest would of course be to just use the plastic rings. But this build has already taken way long. Might as well pause and think it through.

2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, really nice work. If the guitar doesn't work out, you've got yourself the coolest cutting board ever.

stormsedge likes this.
  3. Guitarbrewer

Excellent backup plan! :)

stormsedge and JuneauMike like this.
  4. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Nice work indeed.

I'd go for direct mount, cleaner lines.

stormsedge likes this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Direct mount or use wood rings that match or contrast with the wood. Also if possible nix the "pick guard" around the knobs.

The piezo bridge is a bit of a crap shoot - I built a guitar with one and didn't care for it at all. If you do use one bring it out as a separate signal - you don't want to blend it on the guitar.

Steve Holt and tele12 like this.
  6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Direct mount or those chrome metal mounting rings. Do a series/parallel mod on the middle pickup for those #2 and #4 positions, it works well enough for that fat hb tone.

7. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Because the body has so much visual interest already, I vote direct mount. The rings bring too much clutter to the eye.

Use very thin screws; they won’t damage the pickup threads.

8. Guitarbrewer

I plan on using a 5-way switch, and doubt I will be able to do that in wood and make it look good. That, and the fact the piezo preamp has a 50k pot, which is of the short type, is why I have the pickguard.

Wood rings might be cool. Sounds tricky to make though. I might give it a try. And I have no idea really how the piezo will work. Got it for a good price second hand, so in worst case it will be a too-expensive but decent bridge :) It does have a stereo out, so depending on the cable it can blend or be separate.

9. Guitarbrewer

I thought about chrome. But it seems that with shipping, import taxes etc they will be at least 100$ and take a long time to get. So that will be something to get when I or someone I know travel to the US the next time. Which probably won't happen for quite some time now.

I'll look into the mod. This thing is already way past KISS, and more of a try many different new things guitar... Maybe too many, time will tell :) Do you know if it works with active pickups too?

10. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I'm gonna agree with Freeman on the pick guard. IMO, best would be to either make one out of the same wood you use for pickup rings, or don't use one.

Buzzgrowl likes this.
  11. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Direct mount, no guard, beautiful guitar.

littlebadboy likes this.
  12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Agree with direct mount. I was going to suggest carbon fiber control cover to give it a modern touch.

13. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Direct mount.
    That pickguard is hideous and detracts from the style of the guitar.
    Matte black guard would be my suggestion.

fenderchamp likes this.
  14. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

That is precisely how Nat Daniel attached the pickups in his Danelectro guitars.

That is NICE work all around--particularly how you roasted the wood to achieve the color contrast.

I agree the aesthetics of the control plate do not match the guitar. Looks like an afterthought, much like the stuff on the early G&L guitars:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 10:06 AM
  15. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Direct mount. Personally never cared for those single coil pickup rings. I either like it direct or in a pick guard.

Just my two cents.

16. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Holic

That’s badass! You lost me with the reverse headstock. :)

17. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Direct mount, no pickguard, no pickup rings.

I have a Tele I direct mounted the neck pickup. I then found a scrap of black leather and cut it like a skirt that slipped tight around the pickup and I just tucked the outer skirt down around the outside of the pocket. It covers the screws and wires, black so it disappears, but I can lift the skirt and adjust pickup height if I want. Leather was scavenged from an old pair of shoes.

Only picture I have is before adding the pickup skirt, but you can see why I didn't want to put a pickguard on the guitar.

[​IMG]

18. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Sorry to be abrupt, but the pickguard is just so wrong. The guitar has real potential, if you have to drop the piezo bridge to go without a guard then that's what youhave to do.

19. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Here's one person's opinion. I find most guitars with surface mounted control plates look like something is missing without a pickguard to connect it all together. Rings don't help in that regard. You have plenty of wood to look at. Covering some of it up won't hurt the esthetics and may enhance the beauty of it. The peghead needs some unique modification too, as the body doesn't look like a Fender variant at all. As always YMMV.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 11:26 AM
  20. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Its sounds to me like no one really cares for the plastic pick guard. The wood effects are just too cool and in my opinion the p/g just doesn't work. There have been some folks on this forum who have made wood p/u rings on their cnc's - one sent several to me. I know you have shipping issues but they are available.

As far as the piezo bridge, here is the guitar that I put it in. My son had made the body (it has some of the flavor of yours) and wanted the electronics to "do everything" so I put in two humbuckers with coil splitting and phase reversing plut the piezo bridge. The were six individual crystals in the bridge, each was brought into the wiring cavity in its own little shield cable and they are all tied in parallel at the little PCB in the middle of the cavity. The bridge has its own volume control which must have been a long shaft pot because it is mounted directly thru the top - there was not p/g on this guitar. We brought the bridge and humbuckers out as separate signals with a stereo jack - he could take them to different amps thru different signal chains.

IMG_2174.JPG

My feeling about the piezo bridge was that it simply was not a good sounding pickup - it certainly is not an "acoustic" sound which is what I think my son wanted. And its impedance and gain are so much different from a mag p/u that it really needs a separate signal path and probably a preamp.

Be sure to choose your bridge to match the rest of your design of course.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.