Second-guessing Dr’s orders/blood pressure meds Pt 2

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Went back to my new doc after 1 month.

Recap:

He had prescribed me losartan (I think) because, by the new 2017 guidelines, I had elevated blood pressure (140/93 ).
    I was about to pick it up when a voice from above (actually , just a buddy of mine) said “Don’t go on that stuff - you’ll never get off it”...

So 3 Weeks ago I radically changed my diet with no added salt, many many sources of potassium rich food, basically no gluten, and lots of fruits/vegetables and raw nuts .

(btw, raw, unsalted nuts are nuts that are just not living up to their potential - blah...)

When he took my blood pressure today - 120/83.

Yahoo !

I thought he was going to toss me because I didn’t obey his orders . He didn’t even care . “As long as your numbers are down - I don’t care how you did it . Good job - keep it up !”

My back still kills, which was the reason for the initial appointment anyway. But I’m trying to deal with that . But, God-willing I won’t keel over into A mound of salt while eating greasy griddle scrapings thinking about Girl Scout cookies for desert ( did I mention it was Girl Scout cookie season? Arrrgghhh...)

2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, congratulations and keep it up! Getting healthy is by far the best way to take care of oneself.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

A lady I know has jogged herself into looking like a discarded branch from a dried up grapevine, but by golly, she has avoided those damned BP pills!

rich815, nojazzhere and Mike Eskimo like this.
  4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Good job. Mine is the same way. Sometimes, my BP is elevated, but it's usually around 120/80 (sometimes it's a cuff size issue). I think they like people to take the meds because the meds actually work, and most people don't do what they say they're going to do. Or, they don't do it for long.

My dad is in that group - the initial scare of medication will cause him to make changes. Eventually, the scare will wear off. He's on Statins and BP meds now (and based on the guidelines, should be - he's got hereditary high BP but not high LDL/HDL ratio unless his diet is poor. He chooses the poor diet.).

I was curious about what you may have done, because I love salt. But my BP doesn't respond to salt, so it doesn't seem to matter. FIL's does, and when he comes out, he always says "do you have any nuts? the ones I have at home don't taste very good".

5. Toto'sDad

To be fair the 140 over 93 wasn't anything to get excited about in my opinion as a trusted physician. (Voted most knowledgeable by more dead people than you can shake a stick at) If mine never got any higher than that, I wouldn't bother with taking meds for it. Truth be told, if you had jogged in place a few minutes, then relaxed for a couple of minutes it would have probably have been where it's at now.

I take BP medicine because I have begun and abandoned many, many healthy lifestyle regimens. None of them have lasted very long. As Clint was wont to say, a man's got to know his limitations. I do.

rich815, nojazzhere and Mike Eskimo like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

To even further beat this horse to death, I didn't take bp medicine until the day my son died five years ago, it went from very normal to 215 over 116 that night! I self prescribed since I am a noted medical practitioner some of my wife's bp medicine just so that I could live long enough to get to the doctor the next day. Since then I have tried weaning off of it, but I can't seem to break the habit. If I would launch into a crash diet, and exercise program, I could maybe do it, but then when would I have time to get on the forum, watch TV, and play golf?

7. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

I take BP medication. Is there some reason I shouldn't? It doesn't bother me.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  8. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Great Caesar's Ghost, a man completely owned by big Pharma is fine with you not going on meds? They control him! He is merely their errand boy sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill! How is this possible? Doogie will be finished in a month!

unixfish and Mike Eskimo like this.
  9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

congrats on the effort to reduce the BP. Ditto what the doc says - keep up the good work!

the back stuff: proceed with caution, whichever way you go. I don't think I heard the details (or need to).

Just for reference, I have a son-in-law who had some serious back pain, after an auto accident and he, unfortunately, ended up with Dr. Goodpills. Two flight-for-life events later, we wrestled him into rehab. "no, no, I can handle it". Yeah, right.

for the most part, he's clean, found a new doc for pain management, etc. No easy solutions, I guess.

got an occasional bout with muscle tears in my lower back and the whirlpool at the Y seems to work wonders. Prolly not an easy solution for your sitch.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  10. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

Good job on the blood pressure. I did the same thing for the same reason: radically changed my sodium intake.
    The other component for me was beer intake. Cutting the beer also lowers my blood pressure. I haven't found conclusive research on that one; it would seem that beer affects other lifestyle aspects which in turn affect blood pressure, but I'm a thin triathlete who happens to like beer.
    In any case, cutting sodium and drinking less beer put me back at a healthy blood pressure level.

About the unsalted nuts: try dry-roasted, unsalted almonds. Pretty tasty.

11. Mike Eskimo

Sinew-y woman

I just didn’t want to start if I could knock it down to where it should be with diet and exercise.

I also haven’t ridden my bike in eight weeks which is crazy but then it’s been “brass bra” cold here anyways.

12. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Usually, over an extended period of time the body will need either a higher dosage, or a different medication, or combination of medications to have a similar effect on BP. Essentially the body produces additional "arterio-venous" tissue receptors over time that cannot be blocked with the same dose so some of those unblocked receptors will pick up natural chemicals produced in the body that increase BP. Chronic stress, and salt and alcohol in the diet will increase BP for sure!

13. Mike Eskimo

I think I’m gonna start throwing the raw nuts on a sheet pan in the oven and see what that’s like. Raw unsalted almonds are like eating bark or something. I don’t mind the raw cashews for some reason. They have the texture of those wax lips filled with sugar water.

Beer ? I think I drink 4 a week . If those four a week affect my blood pressure then it’s going to be a real boring end of the line for this sad bastard...

14. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

My medication has been the same for nine years.

Intubator likes this.
  15. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    That's Great, its good that your dose is stable! Everyone's different and there are many variables that can affect dosing over time besides chronic use. Diet, exercise, alcohol intake, stress, exercise or lack there of, other co-existing diseases like diabetes, CAD, etc....

16. JackL

JackL Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I suffer the same BP 140/100. The Doctor prescribed a Diuretic to rid the body of water and salt. I changed my diet and now I'm at 122/86. I eat less fast food, eat a banana every day and drink at least a liter of water every day. I feel better now, before I would get dizzy when I woke up in the morning.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  17. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

140/93 is kid stuff. :lol: (Not really, but compared to mine it is.) I would trade BP readings with you any day.

Seriously, glad you turned it around with diet and we know you exercise.

I was on two different meds until my new employer switched insurances and I lost my doctor of several years. When my Rxs ran out I just said screw it, until I felt a hernia coming on a couple weeks ago. Now I have an appointment for April 3rd, because I have to have an attending physician to even start seeing about getting this round of hernia(s) repaired. I'm sure the new doc will do blood work and a BP check, so I'll see what I can do by altering my diet till then. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Mike Eskimo likes this.
  18. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

You have a good doctor because he appears to be interested in results only . I doubt that he would mind a bit if you were to share your method/s with him . Good physicians are always willing to learn regardless of what the good source is .
    I was on a low level BP medicine for a few years . The dosage had been halved twice and the BP was fine , so I decided to take the last step about 3 months before a yearly checkup .
    At the checkup , I asked the doc about cutting the dosage and he agreed to give it a try . This is when I learned that the last halving of the dosage had not been placed on my record after a bit of back and forth . Since halving again would make the dosage so low , I ask the doc about eliminating it all together . He agreed as long as I took the time to monitor it occasionally . I agreed and that was when I told him that I had taken that step 3 months ago and that things appeared to be fine . He chuckled and told me to let him know if I find it rising again . i have been off meds ever since .
    There can be no doubt that the decades of severe sleep apnea had some role to play , but that has long been dealt with .
    May you remain clean of big Pharma .

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  19. Danocoustic

Danocoustic Tele-Meister

I have a birth defect---my aortic valve is bicuspid (yours is probably tricuspid, as an aortic valve should be). This has resulted in congestive heart failure/atrial fibrillation and all kinds of symptoms including a couple strokes that have caused me to be paralyzed on the left side of my body.

Recently discovered that the wear and tear from my f'ed up valve has put enough strain on my aorta that it has developed a major aneurysm. Too large to be repaired, has to be replaced. Graft. Open heart surgery pending. Valve and aorta replacement.

Probably won't die on the operating table---but the chance of stroking out are considerable.

Currently dealing with my wife having emergency abdominal hernia repair/bowel resection surgery. Brought her home this evening after five days in the hospital. She has a gaping wound in her abdomen that scares me.

I'm tired.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  20. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Genetics, it is mostly genetics. Low BP is normal in my family and it never seems to matter how healthy anyone eats or lives. Trust me, my 400 lb alcoholic brother is not going to impress anyone with his health habits, yet has a very low resting pressure.

I had an old track coach who told the team that the secret to being a great runner was choosing the right parents and I think the same is true with things like blood pressure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.