Second attempt at digital designing, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by KikiBanks, Oct 21, 2021.

1. KikiBanks

KikiBanks TDPRI Member

Got bored and drew something up, so sorry for little detail or scaling of hardware. 2708C4C9-EF5E-4CEA-9BF9-8FEAE6DDCBBC.png

aadvark likes this.
  2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Hi kiki... we used to draw on our school books, now you can do it onscreen...:cool:

I think the strap would pull off your top button placement.... ;)

crazydave911, Fiesta Red and SbS like this.
  3. SbS

SbS Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oh my, I remember drawing loads and loads of guitars back in the day. First they were Strat types and double cuts, but at some point turned into single horn and Telecastery / Les Pauly models. Remember it happened after I loaned a book from library, about history of electric guitars.

This was long before I even owned one.

Yeah and agree with trev333. The front strap button angle might be problematic.

crazydave911 and trev333 like this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

We were young surf punks, we used to draw waves,,,,,:D

5. Ebidis

Ebidis Friend of Leo's

I used to draw conclusions.

6. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

It's kind of funny, there is something very Australian in the three designs you posted. I have seen a lot of Aussi punk (and non-punk) bands with chopped up guitars, it seems to be a running theme!

(I was looking for examples, here's my buddy Ben from Civil Civic and his 3/1-a-side P-bass: )

[​IMG]

More seriously though. If you do intend to build those at some point, you'll find that some of the design features in classic designs are there for a reason. Which doesn't mean you have to follow them exactly, but for instance, it is better to keep the strap buttons parallel to the neck, or with a slight downward angle (like they'd be on a Strat or the P-Bass in the picture above).

And maybe post them together in one subject? It'll make it more readable and the many talented & experienced builders of TDPRI can give you a hand as you go along.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Neck dive.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

An easy way to scale something is to download PDF guitar plan which there are many free on the internet
    import the PDF into photoshop and use the plan as reference guide or just ammend the design
    save the PDF print as actual size saves a lot of hard work

aadvark likes this.
  9. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Holic

keep experimenting, you'll get good feedback here, if you are keen. And welcome to the forum from a fellow Aussie.

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

The guy who sat beside me in senior math class was a drummer…he used to sit there and draw flies.

crazydave911 and Ebidis like this.
  11. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

Noodling with guitar design is fun :)

If you are serious about it, I'd suggest look at guitar evolution, as it says a lot about how and why it was changing. It's interesting that at some point guitars didn't have a waist and were rather teardrop shaped, think lute. They also have been held differently. Round backs allowed for angling the instrument and reduced forearm stress on the right hand.

Later classical guitars developed a waisted and we're mainly played seated. Electric guitars adopted the initial shape and functions from classical instruments, or rather acoustic guitars. Also shapes (except for Gibson) evolved more. Still some elements of body shape where left. We have the waist for seated playing, the lower horn to deliver a comfortable balance on the leg, the upper horn, which is not just for grabbing, but also resting the instrument against the chest/body, without it falling out of place.

In the end all depends on the players preference, ifures are there for a rea you are comfortable with a steinberger, you may be playing it differently than a V or an explorer. I like personally practical design a lot and if I can solve some problems for the user adjusting a design, that would be for me doing the right thing. But I always try to remind myself, that many features are there for a reason. Shifting designed elements have impact on stuff like reach of the player, weight balance, feel while playing. This stuff is important and I'd even argue that it is more important than a 'cool' look. They also have been refined through many years of trial and error by builders, which we usually don't see :)

Recent interesting innovative designs for me are the Strandbergs and Tossing Abassis axe, which borrows a lot from single cutaway constructions on a bass guitar. Hope that helps somehow, good luck with your designs!

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.