Seatbelts and school buses?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dougstrum, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I teach at a high school and all of our district's buses had seatbelts installed a couple of years ago. I think it might be a California law now that they have to have them.

2. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Im down for it...

rangercaster likes this.
  3. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

"Modern school buses are large and heavy, and their passengers sit high off the ground. This means they are remarkably safe. Each year, over 400,000 public school buses carry almost 25 million children more than 4 billion miles. Yet, fewer than 10 children die each year in school bus accidents, and studies show that seat belts would not have prevented most of those deaths."

The article suggests that it all boils down to physics. That's an interesting (and reassuring) perspective that I never considered. But there's another contributing factor: the known universe drives cautiously around school buses.

4. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I always wondered if it had something to do with the kinds of accidents that could happen. If the bus were to hit or get hit by another car the kids would be ok without belts. However, if say they bus ran off the road into water, or some other emergency that would need immediate evacuation, who would get all the kids out of their seat belts if they were too young & or panicking?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Dr Improbable likes this.
  5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

As safety crazy as the US is it is suprising.

BobbyZ likes this.
  6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

According to the statistics, school buses are already the safest ground transportation in America. Safer than the soccer mom minivan.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  7. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

My son's buses have always had seatbelts.

8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

The cited artical states that Texas requires seat belts. I don't think so, but I work for the public school system so I'll check tomorrow.

9. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

https://m.economictimes.com/news/po...-moving-bus-in-chennai/videoshow/69837344.cms

10. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Nojazzhere- I KNEW there was something I liked about you- a teacher, were you? Thanks for your service!

11. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Are these seatbelts bolted to the floor or the seat?

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

You mean it's not my guitar playing you like? :)
    It sounds corny, but teaching special needs students really was the best reward.

13. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, been there, done it, retired 2012.

P Thought, Rustbucket and nojazzhere like this.
  14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I mostly made my own way to school all throughout my school years starting at 5yo. I occasionally caught the bus which was public transport and a seatbelt would have slowed me down too much when trying to escape the crazies that ride on public transport.
    People would have just cut them off and used them as weapons anyway.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

I would do whatever I can to encourage my kids/grandkids to stay *in* public school (I assume by public you mean state/county run as opposed to British public schools which are actually fee-paying privately run/funded schools). Of course, I also believe in a society where public services are so good that private alternatives are totally surplus to requirements :)

In Norway buses (school or otherwise) are fitted with seat belts by law. Their usage is compulsory where fitted, with the exception of inner city transport. You risk a fine if you don't use the belt, though I've no idea how common that really is.

16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

The school bus passing by on the main road across the paddock morning and afternoon is a time signal for me...

in the morning when I hear it I get a good idea what time it is..then I usually roll over and keep snoozing..:D

. in the afternoon it's usually time for a cup of tea....:)

Chunkocaster and 39martind18 like this.
  17. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

Bus driver kicked me off the bus once about 3 miles from home, don't even remember why now.

Then I got punished when I finally got home too.

If this happened today, the bus driver would be fired, the school system would be sued, the manufacturer of the bus would be sued...

Frodebro, Rustbucket and nojazzhere like this.
  18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a board member in an organization with 600+ kids in programs in addition to disabled vets. Also a late age parent with 3 kids and a teacher wife. My wife teaches an often troubled or at risk segment of kids in big and dangerous city school. In 15 years of helping in that organization I've usually been with the kids who need a hand on their shoulder, a poke, push or some understanding. I've coordinated the outreach programs.

You hit it. Most issues are from the home where the public institutions and groups like ours do a lot to help.

Being a late aged parent I also see the public schools still doing exactly what they did for me in the 1960s - 70s. The good teachers make all the difference. The affordability paves a road for those who work at being better.

A lot of social institutions have broken down and I see the schools and groups like the one I'm in associated with schools still fill that important role. Getting kids in communities and collaborating with others.

As for school busses. A group in my city was certain the districts's buses needed to be sold and everything be contracted. All those contracts were more expensive. They demanded a study. They found the very typical in US districts did a really good job of getting a long life from their buses and quality staff with their part-time and often retired worker model. Especially in the many smaller cities, towns and districts.

Finally, I drove a school bus, semi, heavy equipment hauling, and combustible hauling many years ago. When I looked at that in the bus mirror I saw my priceless cargo. When I looked ahead it was with the most concentration I could muster. It was constant scanning what was going on around me and in the bus. I was very convinced most everyone else with a cargo like that was doing the same.

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

There were no cel phones or radios on the bus when that occurred to me probably around 1969 - 70. Today the school transport office's Suburban meets the bus and the kid is usually in more trouble whether that's the school or their parents for good families.

My observation is drivers do get fired for inappropriate behavior but the employer and employee generally have reasonable protections.

One special characteristic of our country is our right to use the legal system but I this reads like you might be influenced by garbage news or punditry. Frivolous use of the courts is an often overstated problem. It makes good headlines, and it makes good talking points.

20. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Sorry, but a school bus is not much more than a flat bed truck with an enclosed cage on the bed...

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.