Seatbelts and school buses?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dougstrum, Feb 26, 2020.

1. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

My grandkids will be riding a school bus in a couple of years. I can't understand why there are no seats belts on school buses.

Social services would probably take the kids away if parents didn't use them in the car. My grandkids yell "we're not safe yet" if I start the car before they finish buckling into their car seats.

Just something I wondered about, seems like a crazy dichotomyo_O

2. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Will it keep them seated until there stop,Im wondering.:)

Dr Improbable and tery like this.
  3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

4. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Good link~thanks

Treehouse and Frodebro like this.
  5. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Everyone should wear motorcycle helmets .

6. Tallthinman

Tallthinman Tele-Meister

I think the cost is the real driver. There are very few deaths on school busses for the reasons given in the link, and seatbelts would not significantly reduce the number of deaths in a typical low speed school bus accident. That is why they tend to focus on the death statistics; turns out seatbelts would significantly reduce the number of injuries in school bus accidents and I know some jurisdictions in Canada are now considering making seatbelts on busses mandatory.

JL_LI and Tonetele like this.
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Death rates/cost-benefit analysis/generations of inactive and complacent parents .

That’s why no seatbelts on school buses.

Same as it ever was.

I’ve driven my son to school every single day from K-12 (which is this year) though they have Bluebirds available for our distance.

Verne Bunsen and Treehouse like this.
  8. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Not that it has anything to do with seatbelts...

I can remember being kicked off the bus when I was in 5th grade for hitting the driver in the back of the head with a box of animal crackers... he was not my intended target, as the crackers had been thrown at me from the front of the bus, I merely returned fire.

Nearly caused him to lose control of the bus...

I regretted it briefly at the time, now I look back with a good story to tell that I get a laugh from.

Then I remember once in 4th grade me and my bestfriend double teamed this kid on the bus that was trying to be a bully and make us move seats.... he punched my friend, so we delivered a considerable beat down his way...

Then we come to find out the kid was disabled (from birth) and has to wear a chest protector under his shirt... wich would explain why my friend broke his hand on his chest, and the deaf we were in was specially reserved for him due to his disability.

We felt REALLY bad about that one, but we both laugh about it now... we were the two A-holes that beat up a crippled kid... though we didn't know that was the case.

25yrs in the past and I still can't forget about either incident.

9. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

image.png
    Some Kids on Buses need these!!

JL_LI, BobbyZ, SPUDCASTER and 4 others like this.
  10. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

In France, all school buses are OEM fitted with security seat belts. Do the all kids use it ? I don't know...

-tbln

11. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Are you in any position to prevent your grand kids from having to use the schoolbus? I would do whatever I could to help keep relatives out of public schools... Just say no...

12. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

School funding. Always follow the money... No seat belts but lots money for admins and school boards to go on training retreats.

13. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Truth is, public schools do an amazing job. I would put any top student with parents who know how to parent up against anyone. Unfortunately too many attendees are not interested in being students and that falls on the parents, not the schools.

Tonetele, P Thought, bsman and 5 others like this.
  14. DrPepper

Truth is not all public schools are created equal and most are subject to policies geared towards the lowest common denominator.

Treehouse and Frodebro like this.
  15. DrPepper

Good point, but modern school buses are a poor design that favors the operators bottom line rather than the safety of the occupants.

16. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

All school busses should have full Nascar mandated roll cages and restraints and the kids should wear full-face helmets and fire suits .... spendy, yes ... but imagine how quiet and well behaved they would be ... and very very safe ...

dougstrum and nojazzhere like this.
  17. DrPepper

Ban school buses, end bussing...

18. skitched

skitched Tele-Meister

According to that link:

". . .the cost of adding seat belts to school buses outweighs any potential benefits, according to NHTSA studies."

Thankfully I live 400' from the elementary school, 800' from the Middle School and 1200' from the High School. . .If there was a private school nearby and I could afford it I would likely send them to that school, but I hope to be a good parent that teaches my child outside of the school.

DrPepper, getbent and Treehouse like this.
  19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Most school buses over here are more like coaches with high back seats and belts....rural schools mainly get a school bus route.....private contracts..

most kids in the city would use public transport to get to school or walk /ride bikes/get driven...

I can't recall ever being driven to school in 12 yrs,...

Tonetele and Chunkocaster like this.
  20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

As a former public school teacher, my modest opinion is the greatest single obstacle in an under performing student's education lies in the home. I would talk to my elementary and middle school students, and I was STUNNED at how many of their homes contained NO books or reading material.....and they NEVER witnessed an adult or role model reading. (for work OR pleasure) In addition, there was rarely anyone in the home who could help with homework.
    BTW.....many of my Special Education buses DID have seat belts, but their primary purpose was to restrain students......NOT for their safety in a crash.

Harry Styron, P Thought, ce24 and 6 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.